Pizza delivery - delivery charges

John Z

if you will
We get pizza delivered from Pizza Hotline in La Plata. There is an explicit delivery charge ($2 I think). I still provide a decent tip to the driver. Do you think the delivery charge go to the driver, or does the store take it and somehow just put some money towards the driver's salary? I'm just wondering if I'm over-tipping if I don't take the delivery charge into account.

Heh, I know this tread makes me sound cheap. :biggrin:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I'm not sure, but I still tip the normal amount for an order. Ask the driver or ask the manager at Pizza Hut where the $2 goes.

I figure if they are driving out to me they deserve the tip, not to mention the risk they take driving on these roads.

I tip $5 for a delivery (whether 1 or 2 pizzas)

oldman

Lobster Land
I always tipped well thinking of the gas the person used to get to me. Besides those people remember a good tipper and do their best to get to you the next time. Some are even the ones that make the pizzas and I could make a few change suggestions I'd like for the next time.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Not sure but Papa John's says the delivery charge is not a tip for the driver but like you say, may go towards their hourly pay

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I worked at a couple pizza places during college, two of those places had a delivery charge and I didn't see a penny of it, but one place paid me per mile driven during my shift (something minimal like 5 or 10 cents per mile, not enough to cover my gas). Was told the delivery charge covered their liability insurance for the drivers.

Just remember if you give a waiter or waitress 20%, they don't drive their car or burn their gas to bring your food to the table, and your top should reflect the reason you are getting food delivered i.e. you want to eat out but the weather is too nasty, so you call for a delivery... I.be been out in almost blizzard conditions, drove beyond my allowed :distance and got stiffed on a tip.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And I would guess some are saying. "But itsbob graduated college centuries ago" when I actually graduated 8 years ago so wasn't too long ago that I was delivering pizzas.

Dontel58

I do believe it goes to the driver and helps pay for the insurance of the driver. Even though you are required to have liability auto insurance in Maryland, when the drivers are on the clock it is company's responsibility to cover them. I do believe a dollar goes to the driver per delivery, to help offset the price of gas. Also it helps when there are no tips, which happens.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
I do believe it goes to the driver and helps pay for the insurance of the driver. Even though you are required to have liability auto insurance in Maryland, when the drivers are on the clock it is company's responsibility to cover them. I do believe a dollar goes to the driver per delivery, to help offset the price of gas. Also it helps when there are no tips, which happens.

I delivered for Pizza Hotline. Their is two zones so the delivery charge varies. Zone 1 is $1.50 and zone 2 is $2.50. The delivery charge does go to the driver and does NOT cover any insurance or such. It's a cover for people that DON'T tip and more or less went in the gas tank. The company has NO responisibility for covering the driver.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
And I would guess some are saying. "But itsbob graduated college centuries ago" when I actually graduated 8 years ago so wasn't too long ago that I was delivering pizzas.

I remember when you use to deliver to my house.
Do you still have that blue Pinto?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I remember when you use to deliver to my house.
Do you still have that blue Pinto?

I had a blue 1973 Pinto, but never delivered pizza. Also never had any problems with my $800 dollar car bought in '76 with bonds saved up while in the Navy.

That car, cheap as it was, carried me about 120,000 miles back and forth to work for about six years, up to MD a few times, with only oil changes and new tires.

Having said that, I always tip anyone delivering food to the house about 30% of the bill, especially pizza guys during football season......

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Although this thread is about Pizza Hotline, let's talk about the big 3 national chains for a moment. The delivery charge is not a tip. The driver does not see any of the delivery charge. The delivery charge was created to offset the large increase in the stores liability insurance which occurred starting around 2005.

E

EmptyTimCup

The delivery charge was created to offset the large increase in the stores liability insurance which occurred starting around 2005.

I guess Domino's lost too many lawsuits after speeding drivers killed people ....

music

We get pizza delivered from Pizza Hotline in La Plata. There is an explicit delivery charge ($2 I think). I still provide a decent tip to the driver. Do you think the delivery charge go to the driver, or does the store take it and somehow just put some money towards the driver's salary? I'm just wondering if I'm over-tipping if I don't take the delivery charge into account.

Heh, I know this tread makes me sound cheap. :biggrin:

I deliver pizza part time for Dominos - and no we do not see any of the delivery charge. It goes to the store.