Pizza

Grumpy

pizza margherita recipe
  1. For absolute best flavor, use homemade roasted garlic.
  2. Use your favorite homemade tomato sauce.
  3. Top with good quality mozzarella.
  4. And fresh juicy tomatoes, any size.
  5. Plus lots of fresh basil. And bonus if the basil is from your garden.
I've had a two run-ins with their wait staff, which is unusual for me. First time I chalked it up on a new server that was trying to cover their butt..2nd time, I paid and haven't been been back. Both times, the customer was wrong and they were right and were ready to battle to the death..:lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I was just enlightened to the "fact" that a Pizza Margherita has no basil by a PF Italian restaurant . Guess the eatery.

I've heard so many terrible things about Mamma Lucia's lately that I don't want to go there anymore!

The owner of the Calvert Co franchise was born in Naples, Italy and I know damn well she knows what a Pizza Margherita** is. If I were you, I'd call them and complain. I've had many good pizzas at ML and I prefer the ones in the NB/CB location. (Mamma's by the Bay)

I don't like the PF restaurant anymore. Foxhound and I prefer the NB/CB location, although friends recently had a terrible time getting service there only a couple of weeks ago. I can only think that people just need to keep making their reviews known to the owners or they will never improve.

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Margherita

BernieP

Resident PIA
Maybe they are not "da Napolie", and up on the legend.

Specifically, baker Raffaele Esposito from Naples is often given credit for making the first such pizza pie. Historians note, however, that street vendors in Naples sold flatbreads with toppings for many years before then. Legend has it that Italian King Umberto I and Queen Margherita visited Naples in 1889.

Esposito named the dish after Queen Margherita, and the rest is disputed history. An alternate theory revolves around the fact that the word margherita translates to “daisy” in Italian, so some suggest the pizza got its name from the daisy-shaped arrangement of mozzarella and basil on top of the pizza

All dishes in Italia are regional,

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Maybe they are not "da Napolie", and up on the legend.

All dishes in Italia are regional,

The owner herself told me she was born in Naples, pretty sure she knows all about that. They also have an authentic Neapolitan PIzza Oven in the NB/CB location, which is a specific type and has to be approved by this association. https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/storia_avpn

I think whomever is running the PF location has no idea what is going on there. 🤷

Catman2

The owner herself told me she was born in Naples, pretty sure she knows all about that. They also have an authentic Neapolitan PIzza Oven in the NB/CB location, which is a specific type and has to be approved by this association. https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/storia_avpn

I think whomever is running the PF location has no idea what is going on there. 🤷
I was told by a deep insider that in the regular pizza chef's absence dishwashers were doing the cooking...

Chris0nllyn

FYI, their menu says:

http://mammaluciarestaurants.com/menu/

My guess is a new/different cook. Or they didn't have any Basil for some reason.

nobody really

I need a nap
I've heard so many terrible things about Mamma Lucia's lately that I don't want to go there anymore!

The owner of the Calvert Co franchise was born in Naples, Italy and I know damn well she knows what a Pizza Margherita** is. If I were you, I'd call them and complain. I've had many good pizzas at ML and I prefer the ones in the NB/CB location. (Mamma's by the Bay)

I don't like the PF restaurant anymore. Foxhound and I prefer the NB/CB location, although friends recently had a terrible time getting service there only a couple of weeks ago. I can only think that people just need to keep making their reviews known to the owners or they will never improve.

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Margherita
I called in a salad topped with salmon on the way back from the gym- at least 45 mins she said....An hour and 45 minutes later they gave me a free salad. it was crazy. They were so understaffed and slammed. And the owner was working also. Why not just hire more people?

nobody really

I need a nap
My guess? Dumped a ton of money into a third location and are now too broke to hire the staff needed to run those locations. In turn, service and food quality go down, no one wants to go back, and the place goes under.

I hope that's not the case.
I hope not either, their food was pretty good for local. I like the NB location. The waitresses are very nice and bust their ass, but they can only do so much.

gemma_rae

It's no secret that Sal and Maria Lubrano are, or at least were, the owners. Am I to understand that they no longer own the PF location?