Planting Flowers?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kom526 said:
Ok folks, I need to plant 37 trees and 49 shrubs, all of them native to the coastal plain of MD. Anybody wanna help? :killingme
Here you go.... All native Maryland plants and a link on how to order them.

I had a willow oak tree at my old house and absolutely LOVED it. For shrubs, I would go with blueberries or azaleas. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
our Dianthus blooms once, then we have this green clump the rest of the summer, something we should do to get it to continue to bloom?
Mine bloom almost continuous. I feed every couple of weeks with a mild fertilizer like Miracle Grow and never have any problems.

Px/NEX had some B-E-A-U-tiful Yellow roses for sale last week.. smelly too.. REALLY bright yellow, would stand out in ANYONE's garden
Pick me one up, will you? I so miss my rose. It came free as a bonus from Stark Brothers when I bought a bunch of fruit trees and have no clue as to what variety is was. I have yet to see one like it anywhere.

EPSOM salt, the secret to great roses.. though one of my bushes looks like it has moldy leaves.. have to fix that quick!!
I like Miracid, from the makers of MiracleGro. It is probably is very similar.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:
Mine bloom almost continuous. I feed every couple of weeks with a mild fertilizer like Miracle Grow and never have any problems.

Pick me one up, will you? I so miss my rose. It came free as a bonus from Stark Brothers when I bought a bunch of fruit trees and have no clue as to what variety is was. I have yet to see one like it anywhere.

I like Miracid, from the makers of MiracleGro. It is probably is very similar.
Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate I believe.. used as a foot soak or laxative, but roses LOVE magnesium sulfate..

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate I believe.. used as a foot soak or laxative, but roses LOVE magnesium sulfate..

Hmm...I'll have to see what's in Miracid. My roses absolutely thrived on the stuff. Crack for roses I think. :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
jazz lady said:
Here you go.... All native Maryland plants and a link on how to order them.

I had a willow oak tree at my old house and absolutely LOVED it. For shrubs, I would go with blueberries or azaleas. :yay:
I checked the link for what species I could plant BUT the purchases are to be made for plantings to be done in PUBLIC areas. I was hoping I coould get them from DNR because then I know my $$ would be helping the forestry program.

We are going to go with as many plantings as possible that do offer food and shelter for the wildlife. My whole family loves blueberries so...there will plenty of those. This year is the first in 10 that I could not watch my azaleas bloom. This has me a little bummed, I had some of the best looking azaleas in my old neighborhood. I always had the worst luck with white ones though, I never could figure that one out.:shrug:

This may sound morbid but my MIL buried her great aunt's ashes under her (great aunt's) favorite variety of rose. Ya know what? That is the best blooming rose you will ever see. I mean the flowers are these gigantic yellow roses that are absolutely perfect. Me? I'll just stick to banana peels around the plant.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kom526 said:
I checked the link for what species I could plant BUT the purchases are to be made for plantings to be done in PUBLIC areas. I was hoping I coould get them from DNR because then I know my $$ would be helping the forestry program.
Sorry, I didn't check the link out more thoroughly. I lost the bookmark for the lady in Calvert that sells mostly native Maryland plants. I'll see if I can find it via a search.

We are going to go with as many plantings as possible that do offer food and shelter for the wildlife. My whole family loves blueberries so...there will plenty of those. This year is the first in 10 that I could not watch my azaleas bloom. This has me a little bummed, I had some of the best looking azaleas in my old neighborhood. I always had the worst luck with white ones though, I never could figure that one out.:shrug:
There's a place in Calvert that is the azalea capital of Southern Maryland. I don't remember the name, but you can see the sign from Route 2/4 in the St. Leonard/Northern Lusby area. I bought about a dozen azaleas from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. They're doing fine but they were very small and haven't grown that much in size. :ohwell:

This may sound morbid but my MIL buried her great aunt's ashes under her (great aunt's) favorite variety of rose. Ya know what? That is the best blooming rose you will ever see. I mean the flowers are these gigantic yellow roses that are absolutely perfect. Me? I'll just stick to banana peels around the plant.
Actually, not morbid at all at least to me. I had a kitty that died, buried him in my garden, and planted a white climbing rose bush by the site. Best damned bloomer I've EVER had. :yay:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I've heard of the place your are talking about in Calvert, they always advertise in the Enterprise. One of my best looking azaleas started life as a $1.99 stick from KMart. I gave it some good soil and a little Holly-Tone and it ended up looking great.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kom526 said:
I've heard of the place your are talking about in Calvert, they always advertise in the Enterprise. One of my best looking azaleas started life as a $1.99 stick from KMart. I gave it some good soil and a little Holly-Tone and it ended up looking great.

I can't for the life of me remember their name now. I've been there a couple of times and the number of varieties they have is astounding. :yay:

I'm hoping my 99 cent clearance azaleas from Wal-Mart turn out the same way. I haven't lost any and some are actually blooming, albeit only one or two blooms per plant. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
Sorry, I didn't check the link out more thoroughly. I lost the bookmark for the lady in Calvert that sells mostly native Maryland plants. I'll see if I can find it via a search.

Found it! http://www.lowermarlboronursery.com/ They're having their annual open house this weekend. :yay: Other than that, it's by appointment only. If you go, take time to talk to Mary-Stuart. A very fascinating lady and very knowledgeable. :clap: