Please make it happen Skins!

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://www.csnphilly.com/04/07/10/N...-Okung/landing.html?blockID=211898&feedID=704
http://www.csnphilly.com/04/07/10/NF...898&feedID=704

The question caught Russell Okung off-guard. Was there a particular NFL player he emulated on his way to earning All-American honors at Oklahoma State?

“I don’t see many games,” Okung replied.

Huh? What college kid, especially one with a big-time future in pro football, doesn’t watch the NFL?

“Well, sir, I’m in church every Sunday,” Okung said. “Our services start at 1:30.”

Interesting fellow, Russell Okung. At 6-5 and 310 pounds, he is the best offensive tackle in a deep and talented NFL draft. He will almost certainly be a top-five pick and he will be expected to anchor some team’s offensive line for the next decade.

On film, you see Okung driving opponents into the turf. He has superb technique, but he also plays with a mean streak. “I’m going to hit you in the mouth more than you hit me in the mouth,” he says.

But in person, he projects a different image. He is pleasant and soft-spoken, gentle almost. His uncles are ministers. He says religion, not football, is the center of his life.

“People say those things contradict each other,” Okung said, “but I don’t feel that way. I feel as though God gave me the ability to play football so I’m going to do it to the best of my ability. It’s a rough game. You have to play it in a physical way to be successful.”

His college line coach Joe Wickline insisted his O-linemen play aggressively. He showed them film of Conrad Dobler, who was known as the dirtiest man in football when he was a guard with the Cardinals. Okung doesn’t go to those extremes, but he does play with an attitude.

“It comes out in you,” Okung said. “You’re out of your element, you have a helmet on, you’re somebody else. It’s different when you play ball. People expect offensive linemen to be passive, but it’s the opposite. We have to be more aggressive than anybody out there.”

Andrew Lewis, who played on the line with Okung, has seen both sides of him.

“Russell is a really nice guy,” Lewis told The Oklahoman newspaper. “If you ask him to do something for you, he’ll do it.”

But on the field?

“Even if the play doesn’t go his way,” Lewis said, “he’ll be latched onto a guy, driving him to the ground, just to prove a point that it’s going to be a long day.”

The pro scouts love everything about Okung. They love his hard-nosed play and they love his character. Whatever team drafts him can rest easy knowing they won’t wake up some morning to headlines about him punching out a cop or trashing a strip club.
http://www.csnphilly.com/04/07/10/N...-Okung/landing.html?blockID=211898&feedID=704

This guy is gonna be beastly!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I pray to the football Gods that he is there @ 4, and we don't do anything stupid like trade back, and miss out on him...

If we do something stupid like that... You will probably hear me yelling outside my house in Hollywood, from anywhere you are in the county :lol:

dolemite

Definetly this is the pick we should make. It sounds good, but I feel he has to earn my respect on the field as well as off. College and NFL are two different levels. Hopefully, he won't be another Draft bust. Ex. Robert Gallery: Oakland Raiders etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Definetly this is the pick we should make. It sounds good, but I feel he has to earn my respect on the field as well as off. College and NFL are two different levels. Hopefully, he won't be another Draft bust. Ex. Robert Gallery: Oakland Raiders etc.

You pay your money, you take your chances. :shrug:

By and large, top level picks for OT's, people most say is THE GUY, have proven out pretty good over the years.

Left OT is absolutely, far and away, our biggest concern right now. That wasn't the case a week ago.

:buddies:

dolemite

By and large, top level picks for OT's, people most say is THE GUY, have proven out pretty good over the years.

Left OT is absolutely, far and away, our biggest concern right now. That wasn't the case a week ago.

:buddies: Absolutely I agree, taking a chance is all we can do and we shouldn't let this guy slip past us if he's sitting at no#4

Zguy28

Yep, that Chris Samuels guy turned out pretty good for a first round pick at LT.