Police accountability

Should taxpayers fire individual police officers?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mamatutu

mama to two
:bs:

Have to throw the BS flag on that one. You could pay them minimum wage and there would still be a waiting list a hundred applicants long for every opening..there has never been a lack of applicants for any Leo job.

Well, then, that is a good thing that so many men/women want to protect and serve. I didn't know the waiting list was so long. That is an awesome thing to know. I feel the same way about LEO's as I feel about the military personnel that defend our country. Thanks, bob for the info! :patriot:

itsrequired

:bs:

Have to throw the BS flag on that one. You could pay them minimum wage and there would still be a waiting list a hundred applicants long for every opening..there has never been a lack of applicants for any Leo job.

You could, but you wouldn't have qualified applicants.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You could, but you wouldn't have qualified applicants.

Doubt it. Law I and firefighting I believe are two jobs people will line up to do no matter the pay, or for no pay... Imagine a volunteer police force like our volunteer fire department.

itsrequired

Doubt it. Law I and firefighting I believe are two jobs people will line up to do no matter the pay, or for no pay... Imagine a volunteer police force like our volunteer fire department.

There are a lot of volunteer's out there that would like to do the job, but that doesn't mean they will qualify for the job. Law enforcement in Maryland has strict guidlines as to your background.

Many of the volunteer fire fighters I know, while good people can not pass the standards set by the Maryland Police Training Commission.

mamatutu

mama to two
I agree about the fire fighters. I recall in high school many guys that joined the fire department just because of the commadarie and the recognition. I knew the fire chief (a relative), and he told me many of these guys joined and put the minimun amount of required time in just to have the title of fire fighter. Not to mention all the slutty girls that used to hang around the fire department providing an easy lay. My dad was a fire fighter and said it was the same way when he was a fire fighter many years ago. I'd guess it is like that now too. I don't deny some guys really are committed to what they do. I know many are.

Jerk!

Edit: I shouldn't have called you a jerk. Peace.

Last edited:
L

letmetellyou

An interesting scenario is playing out in the land of Mabus. Tax paying citizens of this area are fed up with one particular cop's antics and have demanded that he be fired. The sheriff refuses to take any action, citing this officer's "impeccable" record of service.

Personally, I don't care for the guy or the way he handles business, but he gets it done.

Should the taxpayers be able to vote him off the force?

I don't see the difference between a cop and any municipal, federal, or other government employee. If you don't like the cost over runs on the presidential helicopter, that doesn't mean you get to vote the guy who purchased the widget for the whosiwhatsit out of a job. Nor should you vote a cop out for giving you too many tickets. If the cop is doing something wrong, it's up to his supervisors to correct it. At some point you have the ability to vote their boss out.

L

letmetellyou

I thought the same thing. I like volunteer firemen. I appreciate all that they do. Most of the volunteers I know are great people. What he said though, is kinda accurate. It's like any volunteer organization. You have everyone involved who is going to do a little, than you have some who are going to do the lion's share.

I don't have any first hand experience with the slutty girls though.

fatratcat

An interesting scenario is playing out in the land of Mabus. Tax paying citizens of this area are fed up with one particular cop's antics and have demanded that he be fired. The sheriff refuses to take any action, citing this officer's "impeccable" record of service.

Personally, I don't care for the guy or the way he handles business, but he gets it done.

Should the taxpayers be able to vote him off the force?

Nope. It opens the potential for criminals to get rid of the cops that rightfully keep the proverbial thumb on them. Also, do you have a criminal record? Don't answer that. My point is that people making such decisions need to hold the moral high ground. The truth is most politicians and citizens cannot pass the screening to be a LEO.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope. It opens the potential for criminals to get rid of the cops that rightfully keep the proverbial thumb on them. Also, do you have a criminal record? Don't answer that. My point is that people making such decisions need to hold the moral high ground. The truth is most politicians and citizens cannot pass the screening to be a LEO.

Hmmm, not thinking that criminals that represented in the voting rolls. And I think most citizens could. Not the citizens that officers come into contact with, but the great mass of law abiding citizens that an officer drivesd by every day, taking no notice of them, for that simple reason, they are not doing anything illegal.

Now, remember, I have said that citizens should not be able to vote officers out, but it's not because citizens are not capable of making the right choice, but that thats not the right way to do it. We, the citizens, hire the head of the department, that's his job.