Police at GMHS with guns drawn?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
SMCPS_MD

As a result of the disruption caused by the lockdown, once GMHS has been cleared by the Sheriff’s office, there will be an early dismissal for GMHS students. They will dismiss at 12:45 pm on Wed Dec 5

Dismissing from a lockdown while an armed individual is in the are is exactly what you don't do. What is supposed to be done is the lockdown and shelter in place until the threat is cleared.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dismissing from a lockdown while an armed individual is in the are is exactly what you don't do. What is supposed to be done is the lockdown and shelter in place until the threat is cleared.

Maybe "clear" was when they got the word he was in custody in the other county.....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Maybe "clear" was when they got the word he was in custody in the other county.....

That's possible but unclear from the reports. Having said that, I question the early dismissal in any event. Kids, especially in high school (and I realize Great Mills might be an exception) love any sort of disruption during the day whether it's a lockdown, a fire drill, a fight, whatever, and need to learn to stay at least somewhat focused through disruptions.

A lockdown isn't really that disruptive anyway. You lock the doors, you maintain building security and limit/deny entry while you limit all but necessary movement within the building (which generally means no restroom passes) and you teach your classes.

There are a lot of schools that have to do the above almost every day because of student behavior.

stgislander

PREMO Member
This event made me realize that the news played on the local radio stations in the evening is "canned" from the morning. That evening I was listening to 98.3 and the report said police was still looking for the suspect, when I had learned on this forum that he was already in custody.

terbear1225

That's possible but unclear from the reports. Having said that, I question the early dismissal in any event. Kids, especially in high school (and I realize Great Mills might be an exception) love any sort of disruption during the day whether it's a lockdown, a fire drill, a fight, whatever, and need to learn to stay at least somewhat focused through disruptions.

A lockdown isn't really that disruptive anyway. You lock the doors, you maintain building security and limit/deny entry while you limit all but necessary movement within the building (which generally means no restroom passes) and you teach your classes.

There are a lot of schools that have to do the above almost every day because of student behavior.

Given the relatively recent history at GMHS, I can see this as being much more disruptive that it might have been at another school. There are still a lot of students there that were close with those involved last year.