Police love them some surveillance state

Clem72

Man, you like them articles about speed camera's almost as much as Gurps likes articles about bitter unmarried women in their 30s.

glhs837

Power with Control
Man, you like them articles about speed camera's almost as much as Gurps likes articles about bitter unmarried women in their 30s.

You should read better, this has nothing to do with speed cameras. :) I'm not a fan of the govt having mass surveillance of citizens at their fingertips.

Reactions: TPD

Clem72

You should read better, this has nothing to do with speed cameras. :) I'm not a fan of the govt having mass surveillance of citizens at their fingertips.
So you didn't recently post a link to an article that Maryland is looking to remove the requirement for officers to review speed camera tickets?

glhs837

Power with Control
So you didn't recently post a link to an article that Maryland is looking to remove the requirement for officers to review speed camera tickets?
I did. These are two different topics, although police do figure in both.

1. My issue with automated enforcement is that at its heart it is a profit making enterprise, not having any relation to making citizens safer, which is what traffic enforcement should be focussed on.

2. My issue with Automated License Plate Readers (APLRs) is that IMO it's a Bad Idea for govt to engage in wholesale surveillance of its citizens just in case at some point that citizen might needs their whereabouts tracked. This tech is sold as being able to find criminals and stolen cars. But while its pitched that way, what it also does is generate gargantuan databases of all citizens movements. When it first came out there was a lot of hue and cry about this. So what happened is that it got privatized. So the govt can say with an honest face "We don't maintain such databases!!!!" But they do pay to access the private ones. Which doesn't make tracking citizens right. To me this smacks very much of the Stasi having citizen informers in every building and listening in on like 90% of the citizens phone calls.

It could be made safe. Ensure the data gets wiped after a while. Ensure that police hits are only for crimes in which the public good requires such means. Tripping every expired plate or insurance is just. Hell there have been cases where letters have been sent to peoples houses saying "Your plate has been spotted in an area known for drug trafficking or prostitution.

Bonehead

I have a feeling this crap is coming to St Mary's, like it or not. And damn sure has nothing to do with dangers in school zones all about the $$$$$ !

glhs837

Power with Control
I have a feeling this crap is coming to St Mary's, like it or not. And damn sure has nothing to do with dangers in school zones all about the $$$$$ !

So this is about APLRs, which are deployed here on Sheriffs on an irregular basis as grant money for them allows. You can spot them as small boxes on just the rear upper corners for the cruisers, although occasionally they will mount four of them.

One item of note is that when states implement data retention requirements, its usually not really a hinderance. Maryland had noise about the data being sent to fusion centers, and said it would time out and be erased. Of course, if its cop[ied over to a federal or private database before then, it lives forever.