Political Correctness in Cop Shows

SamSpade

Wife and I have noticed more and more of this in shows we watch, and not just the police shows - issues surrounding last summer and BLM keep showing up in shows we watch, and it's getting - annoying.

I've watched shows address current and social issues over the past several decades - and even a few which skewed VERY STRONGLY to one side while making the other side look like buffoons - and I can deal with that. What I don't like is being preached at, because I've come to like a show. Over the years, we've often lost interest in shows because they became social issue sermons every single week.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Once a show becomes consistently political I stop watching. That's why I've taken to binge watching old shows - we're currently on Bewitched.

On another note, it's interesting to watch shows like Bewitched and see how times have changed. Darrin would never talk to Samantha like that in this day and age, and Samantha would never just sit there and take it.

#TeamEndora

SamSpade

Once a show becomes consistently political I stop watching. That's why I've taken to binge watching old shows - we're currently on Bewitched.

On another note, it's interesting to watch shows like Bewitched and see how times have changed. Darrin would never talk to Samantha like that in this day and age, and Samantha would never just sit there and take it.

#TeamEndora

I've noticed in old shows prior to say, 1968, a common story line was the outrage a husband would exhibit when he found out his wife was working at a job.

I actually find this interesting on a lot of levels - for one, there are still parts of this world where a woman working outside of the home is not encouraged, and socially frowned upon. In the 60's, the stories were played as though the wife working was an embarassment to the husband - he didn't make enough money to care for his family. Or - almost as common - somehow the wife was supposed to feel as though providing a good home for the family should be satisfying enough for her; she shouldn't feel like she's missing out by doing something else.

But another is - during the 50's and 60's - one income generally WAS suffiicient for a family. Even for me, growing up, my mom's jobs were usually low paying sales jobs. They were a supplement to her own personal spending and she usually worked "mom hours" - the short times we were all in school. Only later when she got her GED, Associates, Bachelor's and Master's did she make it her goal to be gainfully employed and save money for things she couldn't do earlier. In the 60's she might have saved money for regular hair appointments - later, she was saving for a vacation to Disney.

Later, as more and more women entered the workforce, wages began to change in such a way that two incomes became much more necessary. By then the whole "no wife of MINE is going to work!" became pointless.

Grumpy

Later, as more and more women entered the workforce, wages began to change in such a way that two incomes became much more necessary. By then the whole "no wife of MINE is going to work!" became pointless.

Late 60s, early 70s is when I noticed that more moms worked than not. My mother stopped work after her 1st child(mid 40s) and never worked a day outside the house after that, 9 kids will do that.

I watch alot of old shows, times have really changed, whoda thunk that Barb Billingsley would go from a dress wearing, pearl necklaced housewife and mother of the Beaver to a jive interpreter in Airplane. Right now I watch alot of the old Perry Mason shows, definitely a different time period with the interaction between the sexes...:lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've noticed in old shows prior to say, 1968, a common story line was the outrage a husband would exhibit when he found out his wife was working at a job.

I actually find this interesting on a lot of levels - for one, there are still parts of this world where a woman working outside of the home is not encouraged, and socially frowned upon. In the 60's, the stories were played as though the wife working was an embarassment to the husband - he didn't make enough money to care for his family. Or - almost as common - somehow the wife was supposed to feel as though providing a good home for the family should be satisfying enough for her; she shouldn't feel like she's missing out by doing something else.

But another is - during the 50's and 60's - one income generally WAS suffiicient for a family. Even for me, growing up, my mom's jobs were usually low paying sales jobs. They were a supplement to her own personal spending and she usually worked "mom hours" - the short times we were all in school. Only later when she got her GED, Associates, Bachelor's and Master's did she make it her goal to be gainfully employed and save money for things she couldn't do earlier. In the 60's she might have saved money for regular hair appointments - later, she was saving for a vacation to Disney.

With Darrin and Samantha it's not her working, it's the general shitty way he talks to her and treats her. "SAMANTHA!!! I DEMAND that you...." When was the last time you yelled demands at your wife? :lol: And she doesn't even have the ability to turn you into a fire hydrant.....

Ward didn't yell at June. Ozzie didn't yell at Harriet. There was no yelling and belittling on Father Knows Best. Yet on Bewitched all the men are insufferable blowhards - Tony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie was an ahole, too. Maybe it was some Hollywood producer's fantasy to have a hot woman he could scream at and treat like chit while she calls him Master....

Which ties into your post - maybe women had to put up with that chit because they didn't earn their own living and could tell him to piss off. OR! (Conspiracy theory alert) Maybe, because the TV controls so much of what we think and how we behave, they put those shows on to pressure women into thinking keeping house for a man who screams at you and belittles you is the norm, something to aspire to.

I have a whole dissertation on how our pop culture professes to promote one thing, when in reality it promotes the exact opposite. The latest example is "feminists" insisting that men are women too and should be treated as such.