Politics is Downstream From Culture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

So, how are you all surviving the Hollywood strike?

I don’t know how long that situation will continue, but CNN claims that we’re really not seeing an end to this on the horizon. The two sides finally agreed to talks last week, leading some to believe that a deal might be in the offing. But the talks reportedly fell apart basically before they had begun.

As the writers’ strike careens toward the 100-day mark this week, there is still no end in sight for the historic work stoppage that has brought the movie and television industry to a standstill and wreaked financial havoc on the interconnected web of people who rely on the business to make ends meet.
When news emerged last week that the studios and striking writers were set to meet for the first time since the strike commenced in early May, a ray of hope emerged in Hollywood. It seemed that maybe — just maybe — after a long, hot summer of picketing and trading barbs, hope might be on the horizon.
But it ultimately seemed to be a mirage. Even before the meeting occurred, it was clear that it would not prove to be very fruitful.

This is primarily a fight between The Writers Guild of America along with SAG-AFTRA and The Association of Motion Picture and Television Producers, though other groups have thrown in to show solidarity with the WGA. Both sides clearly have legitimate complaints, but it’s difficult to see how either of them blink first in a major way.

As I said above, I can sympathize with both sides here, particularly the Writers Guild for obvious reasons. (For the record, I’ve never been a member and generally avoid union situations where possible for both personal and political reasons.) The AMPTP is dealing with an entirely new world where streaming services cut into their revenue in a big way and traditional movie marketing has been forced to evolve. Revenues are down and they’re seeing increasing competition from independent outlets. So they’re looking to trim labor costs wherever possible.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The English Romantic poet Percy Shelley, who died in 1822 at age 29, played a significant role in developing the ideas of the feminist movement, author Carrie Gress says.

Ideas of the “the occult, smashing the patriarchy, and free love” played a significant role in Shelley’s writing and ideology, says Gress, author of the new book “The End of Woman: How Smashing the Patriarchy Has Destroyed Us.”

Shelley was a “barbaric man” who was “involved in the occult,” Gress says. His wife was Mary Shelley, author of the 1818 novel “Frankenstein,” she notes, and Shelley drew on the ideas of her parents—a vision of a “women’s revolution where there’s no monogamy, there’s no marriage, all of these things are just erased, and people just live this bucolic life without any reference to their human nature.”

Shelley’s ideology contributed to the modern feminist movement, a movement that has led to what Gress calls “The End of Woman.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
LMFAO .... Stupid Bint

I can imagine how this went down,

Ms Strong Independent Black Woman gets all mouthy with whomever was holding on to her items

What I am wondering is how the hell she left all that behind she had to go retrieve her items '

OMG and the dude in the news report

We don't think she did not commit a crime, don't punish a woman for doing the same thing a man can do

It's not fair, its not right ....

🤣

Last edited: