Politics of The Mask

Tech

Enough patients haven't pushed back on mask wearing when going to the dr's office or hospital. Remember these places are for profit, so if people start refusing to wear the diaper in their offices and they kick you out, eventually they will stop demanding that of you since their profits will start shrinking. Luckily for me, I have not had to visit a medical establishment in the last 3 years so I have not had to fight back.
A few weeks ago I had a test done at a local hospital, after walking in I realized I had left it in the truck. I had parked in BFE and said screw it, they'll give me one. Checked in with security, registered, walked to lab and had test. Not a word said till afterwards when the tech said you can put your masked back on.

rio

In the rural area of KS where my mom and brother live the doctors are not wearing nor requiring patients to wear masks. They'll even see sick patients in person without pushing only video appt because they have a fever. Those patients they may ask to wear a mask, but I don't know.

3CATSAILOR

Nashville city councilwoman recommends attempted murder charges for some not wearing face masks

A Nashville, Tennessee, councilwoman wants those who don’t wear face masks during the coronavirus pandemic to be charged with attempted murder.

Sharon Hurt, an at-large councilwoman of the Nashville Metro Council, joined an Aug. 5 meeting between Public Safety, Beer & Regulated Beverages and Health, Hospitals, & Social Services committees.

“My question goes back to legislation,” she said during the meeting. “But my concern is — you know I work for an organization, that if they pass a virus, then they are tried for murder or attempted murder, if they are not told … and this person who may very well pass this virus that's out in the air because they're not wearing a mask is basically doing the same thing to someone who contracts it and dies from it.”

“It seems to me that we have been more reactive, as opposed to proactive, and a little too late, too little. So, my thing is, maybe there should be legislation, stronger legislation, I don't know if Mike Jameson is ... can speak to it, but maybe there needs to be stronger legislation to say that if you do not wear a mask and you subject exposure of this virus to someone else then there will be some stronger penalty as it is in other viruses that are exposed,” she added.
Yeah, and some said the same about second hand smoke (SHS) being an attempted murder charge back in the day when there was a debate for keeping it inside or outside. SHS has already been determined hazardous to the health. Therefore, there are always people that will try anything for some attention.

Hijinx

Yeah, and some said the same about second hand smoke (SHS) being an attempted murder charge back in the day when there was a debate for keeping it inside or outside. SHS has already been determined hazardous to the health. Therefore, there are always people that will try anything for some attention.
I looked: Yep The Usual suspect.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The New York Times Published Misinformation on Masks to Placate Its Readers

As such, it should come as no surprise that The New York Times recently published an article criticizing the Cochrane Library review. Unsurprisingly, they couldn’t let a debate settling evidence review go unchallenged.

But as discussion around that review unfolds, it’s important to note that this criticism has several significant flaws and inaccuracies. It is clear that the author has a personal interest in clinging to masking, despite its uselessness.

To debunk their findings requires a lengthy review of their past statements, positions, and how they purposefully misrepresented the conclusions of the Cochrane review.

The Author Behind the Misinformation

The Times article was written by columnist Zeynep Tufecki.

You’d be forgiven for never hearing of Zeynep, considering that prior to the pandemic, she was a relatively obscure professor at Columbia University.

Tufecki though, made a name for herself in major media outlets by becoming one of the first public proponents of universal masking.

What were her qualifications to make such assertions?

Far from being a professor in public health or epidemiology, she’s a sociologist.

Now obviously, credentials and qualifications have not proved entirely useful during COVID. Many analysts, myself included, have no relevant expertise in this area.

Being a sociologist does not mean she should have been prevented from advocating for certain policies or presenting her best arguments for masking. But it does raise a substantial question: why was she taken so seriously by The Times?

What was behind her particular rise on such an important, influential platform?

And it most assuredly is an influential platform.

Grumpy

mask2.jpg

Hijinx

I was just wondering about something really crazy. Doctors expect us to respect them and their higher education in the medical fields.
They are supposed to be assumed to be greater authorities than ourselves.
Now we have all read and been told by some Doctors that the masks are useless for Covid
The restriction on wearing masks have been relieved everywhere.

WHY do we still have to wear masks to the Doctors office and to the Hospital?
Is this necessary for some reason ? are they frightened? I can decide for myself if I feel in danger there and decide to wear a mask, but I don't get a choice. Why are Doctors extending a practice that was useless from the start?

TPD

the poor dad
I was just wondering about something really crazy. Doctors expect us to respect them and their higher education in the medical fields.
Now we have all read and been told by some Doctors that the masks are useless for Covid

Is this necessary for some reason ? are they frightened? I can decide for myself if I feel in danger there and decide to wear a mask, but I don't get a choice. Why are Doctors extending a practice that was useless from the start?
Nailed it!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Because they are EMPLOYEES of a for profit medical corporation. And damn it, they will do as they are told or face losing their licence to practice. And you are a patient of an EMPLOYEE, so, they try to force it upon you as well, and will/might even deny you medical services unless you comply.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Was required to wear a mask at a med star facility last week. I never carry one, so they had to give me a little blue one.

I saw all 3 receptionists with the mask under their chins, so that's where mine went, and stayed there.

On my way out the door, no trash can. Anywhere. I really, REALLY, wanted to throw the damn thing on the ground. But no.

It still languishes in the bottom of my purse.

herb749

My wife works for Uof MD medical. The CEO lifted the mask mandate on Wednesday. On Thursday I went to Uof MD Eye Associates. Still required to wear a mask.

rio

Heard that Calvert Hospital ended their mask requirement today. Wonder if St.Mary's has ended their's.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I heard today that St Mary’s is ending theirs on the 17th.

Betcha your doctor friend was bitching, moaning and fighting against that the masking was coming to an end.

However, pre the 17th, covid boogeyman everywhere, post the 17th, the boogeyman disappears without a trace. Now how did they manage to do that?

Damn, I guess I need to update my profile picture. :lol: I still love seeing idiots wearing masks while they are walking down the street or driving their car alone.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Mandates Don’t Work, Part 200 Million

Perhaps the best indicator of the total uselessness of mask mandates is a map of the United States showing the researchers adjusted comparisons of COVID mortality rates.

Notice how Florida outperformed California after adjustment? Amazing that the strictest lockdowns and most prolific mask mandates were entirely useless compared to the free state of Florida, isn’t it?

It would seem to provide some important conclusions to take away about the importance and effectiveness of mandates, doesn’t it?

Of course, there’s another glaringly obvious conclusion to draw from this graphic: regional factors matter. A lot.

It is clear that Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee have a lot in common., as do Georgia and South Carolina and most of the Midwest and upper Midwest.

And what do you know, their results are clustered close together.

Again, who could have predicted this?!

Many people did, for example, in huge numbers of charts comparing regions showing that their curves moved in similar patterns.

The actual data behind the map makes it even more obvious.

There is no predictable pattern to these rates. None whatsoever.

Florida is now the 12th best performing state in the country, with a governor who was nicknamed “DeathSantis” by the media, public health “experts,” and huge swaths of the public.

The District of Columbia is now the second WORST performing “state,” despite having vaccine mandates, mask mandates, strict lockdowns and one of the most liberal, “science following” populations.

New Mexico, the state Scientific American once claimed “controlled” the spread of the virus, is the third worst performing.

Colorado with its Democratic governor and liberal population is now one of the 5 worst performing states.

In fact, despite the media’s assertions to the contrary, Democrats controlled three of the five worst performing jurisdictions. And the absolute worst just elected a Democratic governor after voting for two Democratic senators.

Not exactly a red state problem, now is it?

By contrast, New Hampshire and Vermont, while obviously not exactly red states themselves, had Republican governors and some of the best outcomes. Ohio and Nebraska also “overperformed” despite relatively lax policies.

And California. Oh, California.

Gavin Newsom, who repeatedly attempts to “taunt” other states about their COVID performance, led California to one of the 16 worst outcomes.

Deep red South Carolina did better, as did Oklahoma. Both were states that never had mask mandates.

Doesn’t look too good for Gavin now, does it?

The lack of connection between strict mandates and COVID metrics is so obvious that even the researchers had to acknowledge it.

There’s a lot to unpack here, but a few key details are important to point out.

No state sponsored mandates were remotely effective at preventing COVID deaths. Not one. Neither was non-vaccine related behavior.

The mask mandate dot is quite literally at zero percent. There was no impact whatsoever on COVID death rates based on mask mandates. None. It was useless.

If anything, the confidence bar (the black line) moves slightly in the positive direction. Meaning there was a slightly greater likelihood of mask mandates being associated with higher standardized death rates.

Mandate propensity, how frequently states imposed mandates, was associated with higher death rates. As were closed schools and gathering restrictions.

All of the confidence bars cross over both sides, except vaccine mandates for state employees, meaning the results could encompass either positive or negative effects. It’s all pointless.

Vaccine mandates for state employees is a laughable conclusion, considering how limited those policies are in scope.

For example, California has roughly 234,000 state employees, out of roughly 39,000,000 people. There is no possible way to get a causal effect from a mandate covering ~0.6% of the population.

Mask usage also didn’t matter, with the confidence interval ranging the entire possibility of outcomes from association with lower rates to higher rates.

None of it worked, none of it matters.

There were some associations with infection rates, but obviously those are heavily impacted by confounding factors, especially in 2022. Not to mention that COVID will eventually infect everyone regardless of what policies the government chooses.