Pony Penning

cdsulhoff

So is there anyone here that goes to Chincoteague for the pony penning.. we have a house there and we have been going for years... Question how hard do you think it is to train a wild pony? I know many are brought at the fireman's carnival and that they are brought for the purpose of taming them for riding... Another Question is what is the average price for a pony? I do not want to over pay for one.. I am thinking about actually partake in the auction this year..

sunflower

Loving My Life...
:howdy: Went last year. Its coming up next week!! I love that area. I have no clue on your other questions though. Good Luck

BlackSheep

cdsulhoff said:
Another Question is what is the average price for a pony? I do not want to over pay for one.. I am thinking about actually partake in the auction this year..
According to a website-Each year, high bidders claim some 80 foals, for prices ranging from $800 to $10,500!

cdsulhoff

sunflower said:
:howdy: Went last year. Its coming up next week!! I love that area. I have no clue on your other questions though. Good Luck

We have a house there right next to Tom's cove on Ridge road. I am waiting for the day that we can expand on the house. I want to be able to rent the house out when we are not there. We have not been able to get there much due to my husband is working all the time. We were just there a couple of weeks ago.
The pony swim over on Weds ( I won't be there for that) Then they are set up for auction. I guess we will get there Thursday night, just as long I get there for the auction. Then we will boat out to see the pony that are left swim back.. I was told that the buy back is popular amongst the people.

greyhound

cdsulhoff said:
So is there anyone here that goes to Chincoteague for the pony penning.. we have a house there and we have been going for years... Question how hard do you think it is to train a wild pony? I know many are brought at the fireman's carnival and that they are brought for the purpose of taming them for riding... Another Question is what is the average price for a pony? I do not want to over pay for one.. I am thinking about actually partake in the auction this year..

You do know that they are not actually ponies. They are horses.

cdsulhoff

Well according to the fire department they are ponies... They say that they are bigger because of the Saltwater marsh diet that they are on. That is what makes them FAT... But I am going on what Kevin told me. He is what you call a saltwater Cowboy. He lived there his whole life he is also our neighbor there... Hey he could be wrong ?? Who knows...

greyhound

cdsulhoff said:
Well according to the fire department they are ponies... They say that they are bigger because of the Saltwater marsh diet that they are on. That is what makes them FAT... But I am going on what Kevin told me. He is what you call a saltwater Cowboy. He lived there his whole life he is also our neighbor there... Hey he could be wrong ?? Who knows...

When you got to Assateague Island they give you literature explaining that they are actually horses and why they are small. Your friend is right about their diet. Here is a link that explains it all.

http://www.nps.gov/asis/horses.htm

cdsulhoff

greyhound said:
When you got to Assateague Island they give you literature explaining that they are actually horses and why they are small. Your friend is right about their diet. Here is a link that explains it all.

http://www.nps.gov/asis/horses.htm

You know I never picked up any literature from Assateague. We always just drove straight to the beach. We did the hike to the lighthouse one time and did I ever get eaten up by the misquotes.. LOL That is the only thing I do not like about the island. Other than that I love the small town life. This is where I go to get some peace and quiet..

SeaRide

We have a house there near the main street since we bought it back in '92. Been going to Wachapreague for years for fishing & camping before we decided to buy the house at Chincoteague.

Since we have a wedding in Buffalo to attend next week, we have to skip the pony swim back this year. As for the questions about caring for the pony.. good questions.

greyhound

cdsulhoff said:
You know I never picked up any literature from Assateague. We always just drove straight to the beach. We did the hike to the lighthouse one time and did I ever get eaten up by the misquotes.. LOL That is the only thing I do not like about the island. Other than that I love the small town life. This is where I go to get some peace and quiet..

The mosquitos are awful. Funny story about the horses (I called them ponies too, until I read about them)...We parked on the island. It was fall and not a car in the lot. We went walking, When we got back a new Porche was parked next to us. A horse was having a great time chewing the antenna on the Porche. It was destroyed.

Last edited:

greyhound

SeaRide said:
We have a house there near the main street since we bought it back in '92. Been going to Wachapreague for years for fishing & camping before we decided to buy the house at Chincoteague.

Since we have a wedding in Buffalo to attend next week, we have to skip the pony swim back this year. As for the questions about caring for the pony.. good questions.

Hey searide...I talked to your brother and V. when they got home from Ocean Isle. Told them we talked about their vacation on the forums.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
greyhound said:
You do know that they are not actually ponies. They are horses.

They are ponies. That is, 14.2 hands or smaller. Pony is a size not a breed. Horses are anything that is over 14.2 hands. :flowers:

cdsulhoff

SeaRide said:

Where at near main street?? I was going to ask if Angie sold you the house but she was still in school then. She is a friend of the family and her and her family are the big shot on the island.. She is one of the major real estate agent there, her father owns Anchor inn hotel, Mr. Whippy, and The Chincoteague Pony Centre . She is a very nice person and her family is nice as well...

greyhound

Busterduck said:
They are ponies. That is, 14.2 hands or smaller. Pony is a size not a breed. Horses are anything that is over 14.2 hands. :flowers:

Did you read the link....They were larger but their diet has stunted their growth. Maybe you should inform the National Park Service as they are educating the Public that they are not infact Ponies. :howdy:

cdsulhoff

greyhound said:
The mosquitos are awful. Funny story about the horses (I called them ponies too, until I read about them)...We parked on the island. It was fall and not a car in the lot. We went walking, When we got back a new Porche was parked next to us. A horse was having a great time chewing the antenna on the Porche. It destroyed.

I have a picture of a group of ponies crossing over one or the road path and making us come to a halt when they took over our car sticking their heads in our car. I am trying to find that picture. when I find it I am going to post it. I loved that pic..

fredsaid2

cdsulhoff said:

We went 3 years ago, the average price was around 3 - 3.5k, more for the ones that were very colorful. For that kind of money you could buy a horse or pony already trained that you could ride from day one. The purchase price of your horse/pony will be the cheapest aspect. Food, shelter, regular vet, farrier, training, transportation....I could go on - add up and know no limits. Not saying you shouldn't buy, just be well educated before you do.

cdsulhoff

fredsaid2 said:
We went 3 years ago, the average price was around 3 - 3.5k, more for the ones that were very colorful. For that kind of money you could buy a horse or pony already trained that you could ride from day one. The purchase price of your horse/pony will be the cheapest aspect. Food, shelter, regular vet, farrier, training, transportation....I could go on - add up and know no limits. Not saying you shouldn't buy, just be well educated before you do.

I think I am going to wait it out and do some more research. But I am still going to go to the auction.. I might do the buy back bid. This way I do not keep the horse the horse stays with it's family on the island..

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
greyhound said:
The mosquitos are awful. Funny story about the horses (I called them ponies too, until I read about them)...We parked on the island. It was fall and not a car in the lot. We went walking, When we got back a new Porche was parked next to us. A horse was having a great time chewing the antenna on the Porche. It destroyed.

I went camping on Assateague one time (and one time ONLY) and you're right about the mosquitoes - they are absolutely horrible. But it's a beautiful place to camp - if you don't mind the ponies coming through your campsite around 3 in the morning and putting hoof prints in your cooler. I can definitely see them tearing up a car. :lol:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
greyhound said:
Did you read the link....They were larger but their diet has stunted their growth. Maybe you should inform the National Park Service as they are educating the Public that they are not infact Ponies. :howdy:

"Today's horses are actually the size of ponies (average 12- 13 hands) probably due to their poor diet and harsh environment."

The term "Horse" is an all inclusive term that describes all sizes of equines. The term "pony" is used to describe horses that are under 14.2 hands. :yay:

greyhound

Busterduck said:
"Today's horses are actually the size of ponies (average 12- 13 hands) probably due to their poor diet and harsh environment."

The term "Horse" is an all inclusive term that describes all sizes of equines. The term "pony" is used to describe horses that are under 14.2 hands. :yay:

I was just passing along info that they give when you go to the island. It says "they are not really ponies, they are horses." Their words, not mine....

Tell the National Park service they are wrong, not me. I don't even like horses.