Pony Penning

Lilypad

jazz lady said:
I went camping on Assateague one time (and one time ONLY) and you're right about the mosquitoes - they are absolutely horrible.
What's worse than skeeters are green deer flies ! Holy moly!!!!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
fredsaid2 said:
We went 3 years ago, the average price was around 3 - 3.5k, more for the ones that were very colorful. For that kind of money you could buy a horse or pony already trained that you could ride from day one. The purchase price of your horse/pony will be the cheapest aspect. Food, shelter, regular vet, farrier, training, transportation....I could go on - add up and know no limits. Not saying you shouldn't buy, just be well educated before you do.

I completely agree with Fredsaid, If you are not extremely confident with training and handling a horse I wouldnt advise a buy. Unlike our foals that are imprinted at birth and housed in fencing, walls and pens : the Chinc.ponies are not. You need a TALL fence or round pen panels when you get them home. Not that I am speaking from experience or anything, but, my first pony was a chinc. (and naistier than cat####)

fredsaid2

cdsulhoff said:
I think I am going to wait it out and do some more research. But I am still going to go to the auction.. I might do the buy back bid. This way I do not keep the horse the horse stays with it's family on the island..

That's a nice option. Enjoy the auction :smile:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
cdsulhoff said:
I think I am going to wait it out and do some more research. But I am still going to go to the auction.. I might do the buy back bid. This way I do not keep the horse the horse stays with it's family on the island..

I hope you enjoy the auction. :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
We just did Horse Science School, and a 12 (?) y/o girl was there with her Chincoteague Pony. Her family had purchased her as a 4 y/o at that auction, and she broke and trained her all by herself! That pony was beautiful, and sweet, and wasn't mean spirited or difficult at all when she got her, and it saddned her mom to know she was rapidly outgrowing her. She is now 7 and a real beauty.

I have to say Busterduck, she doesn't not look pony-ish, she looks like a pony sized mini, in other words, a horse, shrunk down. Just as mini's are really little horses, not ponies. Her mom told me about a buckskin mare who was purchased at the same time, and was slightly larger than her own, but has that same temperament. Even, kind, trusting and willing.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
cdsulhoff said:
So is there anyone here that goes to Chincoteague for the pony penning.. we have a house there and we have been going for years... Question how hard do you think it is to train a wild pony? I know many are brought at the fireman's carnival and that they are brought for the purpose of taming them for riding... Another Question is what is the average price for a pony? I do not want to over pay for one.. I am thinking about actually partake in the auction this year..
Do you want this for a child or just as a lawn ornament? Regarding "average" price for a pony...there is no "average". It depends on what you want to pay for what you want to get. Me...i wanted my kid to be safe and to have the pony build her confidence, so i looked for a sweet pony, who didn't know what putting her ears back even meant. A pony like that is priceless really.

In other words, the GOOD ponies will cost ya and the brats will be cheap. :lol:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
RED: Its ignorant people such as yourself that have made the Horse threads just about useless. as a "generality" horses are any over 14h2 BUT some breeds (ie Arabs, and others, possibly Chiconteagues) are considered a Horse no matter how many hands!!!!!!

Hey IDIOT, perhaps you should read the registry for the friggin ponies before you leave Karma feedback such as the above. GET SOME BALLS; what I said is true and perhaps you should go back to school and learn how to do some research on the internet. If you have ARABs under 14.2 they are, in fact, in show circuits considered ponies. Meaning, they can show in pony classes. IT IS A SIZE NOT A BREED.

I have been riding for over 25 years and have owned horses for over 20. How bout' you?

Here ya go, I'll do the web search for you and feel free to let the RED FLY; I don't care

Definitions of pony on the Web:

a range horse of the western United States
an informal term for a racehorse; "he liked to bet on the ponies"
a literal translation used in studying a foreign language (often used illicitly)
shot glass: a small glass adequate to hold a single swallow of whiskey
any of various breeds of small gentle horses usually less than five feet high at the shoulder
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A pony is a certain kind of small horse, as determined by the animal's height in hands. Ponies are 14.2 hands (hh) or smaller, while a horse is anything taller than 14.2 hh. The term may of course be used informally for any small horse, regardless of the actual measurements.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony

Equine 14.2 hands or under.
www.portolavalleyclassic.com/glossary/

twenty-five pounds (£25). From the late 18th century, London slang, but the precise origin is not known, and difficult to even guess. It is suggested by some that this derives from the typical price paid for a small horse, but in those times £25 would have been an unusually high price for a pony. Others have suggested that an Indian twenty-five rupee banknote featured a pony.
www.businessballs.com/moneyslanghistory.htm

Small container, shaped like a drinking glass. Used to measure and/or serve a small amount or single swallow of liquor. A pony is also known as a shot glass or jigger.
www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/dictionary-p.html

Breeds of small horses, fewer than 14.2 hands tall.
www.beaumontpark.kn/index.asp

an equine that does not exceed 14.2 hands high
www.horsescanada.com/glossary.htm

A small (31tr) cylinder with its own regulator that is carried as a redundant AAS. Port. (LP or HP) An off-take from the 1st Stage of a regulator.
members.aol.com/ecwdivers/AtoZ.htm

A horse that is shorter than 14 - 2 (14 hands 2 inches). 1 hand = 4 inches
www.tinicumpolo.org/glossary/

A horse of a small breed, 14.2 hands and under.
www.equerry.com/html/ftho/eq_ftho-terminology.htm

One ounce measurement or one ounce footed, stemmed glass.
dallasbartenders.tripod.com/bar_terminology.htm

Any horse that leads the post parade or accompanies the racehorses to the gate.
www.runhorse.com/popular_horse_racing_terms.htm

Find definitions of pony in: Dutch English German Spanish all languages

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
ya know...it amazes me that the self professed "experts" are so modest when giving all that love in secret.

Don't let it get to ya BusterDuck....they feed on the publicity. :huggy:

greyhound

Sorry...I didn't mean for this thread to get nasty. I was just relaying some info I got from the National Park Service when I went to Assateague. Maybe the confussion is because Maryland and Virginia treat the horses differently?

Maybe horse people "in the know" should let the government know they are wrong. :howdy:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
greyhound said:
Sorry...I didn't mean for this thread to get nasty. I was just relaying some info I got from the National Park Service when I went to Assateague. Maybe the confussion is because Maryland and Virginia treat the horses differently?

Maybe horse people "in the know" should let the government know they are wrong. :howdy:
It's ok, it's not your fault. There's just some nasty horse people in here.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
greyhound said:

They are not wrong. They are horses too. Ponies are horses under 14.2. You didn't do or say anything wrong; I was just trying to provide a little more information than maybe was necessary. Many folks do believe that the term "pony" refers to a breed. Heck, I did too at one point. It is just a term used to describe the size range of the horse.

Mini's are horses under 36 inches (AMHR) or 38 for some other registeries. They are, of course, horses first. The term miniature, like the term pony, refers to the size of the horse.

I hope this helps someone understand the terms and what they mean. I guess I have said enough about this. I was just trying to help. :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I guess they are really pony sized horses. I have a 2 year old that will (eventually) be a horse. But right now, he's only about 14.2 or 3. So technically, if he were to compete, I suppose he would be considered a "pony" although, when he's next to my gelding, he looks like a horse, only he's about 1" shorter at the wither. His head, body and bone are better than the "horse".....

BTW Busterduck you should come see him, you would be AMAZED that it's the same horse. Brooke didn't recognize him, and when Rottncop went in the field to spray Red with fly spray, he wondered why he wouldn't stand still. It was Blitz!! :lol:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
:howdy:
happyappygirl said:
I guess they are really pony sized horses. I have a 2 year old that will (eventually) be a horse. But right now, he's only about 14.2 or 3. So technically, if he were to compete, I suppose he would be considered a "pony" although, when he's next to my gelding, he looks like a horse, only he's about 1" shorter at the wither. His head, body and bone are better than the "horse".....

BTW Busterduck you should come see him, you would be AMAZED that it's the same horse. Brooke didn't recognize him, and when Rottncop went in the field to spray Red with fly spray, he wondered why he wouldn't stand still. It was Blitz!! :lol:

I need to stop by. :flowers: I would love to see Blitz and your little filly. I bet she is getting big too. I saw pictures of Blitz on your website. He looked GOOD! :howdy: