Portis Unloads Frustration on Zorn

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
ESPN - Frustrated Clinton Portis unleashes on Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn

WASHINGTON -- Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis unleashed a load of frustration toward rookie coach Jim Zorn on Tuesday, criticizing him for giving inconsistent messages and sarcastically calling Zorn a "genius."

Portis, in his weekly appearance on ESPN 980 radio, was still smarting from his lack of playing time in Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, when he was removed from the game after the first series of the second half.

"Either you feel like you need to sever ties with me -- split ties with me -- but don't sit here and throw me out like I don't pay attention, like I don't know what's going on, like I'm making mistakes, like I'm the problem," Portis said. "It is what it is, bro."

Portis, third in the NFL in rushing with 1,260 yards, had only 11 carries for 32 yards Sunday. His strong start to the season -- five consecutive 120-yard games from Weeks 4-8 -- helped lead the Redskins to a 6-2 start, but he has barely practiced over the last few weeks because of injuries to his knee, ribs and neck. He has not missed a game but has tallied only 54 yards the last two weeks for the Redskins (7-6), who have lost four of five.

Zorn said Monday he did not use Portis for most of the second half against the Ravens because Portis' lack of practice time had finally caught up to the running back. The coach said Portis had stayed in to block too long instead of going out for a pass on some occasions in the first half.

Zorn went instead with backup Ladell Betts, whom the coach felt was in better position to handle the pass plays that quarterback Jason Campbell and the Redskins were attempting with a two-touchdown deficit.

Portis begged to differ with the coach's assessment.

"Jason on his [butt] all game long, you try to stay in and help, then it's 'Aw, you should have gone out.' ... If he's over there and can't breathe and unconscious where he done got the wind knocked out of him from being sacked, then it's 'Aw you got to help out, you've got to chip,'" Portis said. "So I don't think they know what they want me to do."

Portis also denied that his lack of practice time was affecting his performance. He said he had not missed a meeting and attended every practice, even though he was unable to suit up. He noted that his inability to practice wasn't an issue while the team was playing well.

"Outside of Jim Zorn and the coaches on that team and maybe the quarterbacks, I guarantee you I know our system better than anybody else," Portis said. "I guarantee you when we go into blitz pickup, I don't miss my man. So I don't know what it is. If anybody's got a problem with me, they need to talk to me. I don't know what's going on."

Portis was almost derisive when asked if teams have figured out how to defend Zorn's offense after the team's hot start.

"We got a genius for a head coach, I don't know, so I'm sure he's on top of things," Portis said. "He's got everything figured out. All I can do is when he calls the plays is to try and execute to the best of my ability."

Portis also implied that Zorn's offense might be too complex.

"We got 25 protections, so maybe that's why the O-line's sometime confused," Portis said. "Maybe that's why I don't understand what's going on -- since I don't understand what's going on."

Zorn appeared on the radio station later in the day and responded to some of Portis' remarks.

"He's a big part of our offense, and he's sitting on the bench," Zorn said. "He's going to feel like he's benched. I don't blame him for that. ... He's an every-down back, that's the way he sees himself and that's the way we see him. He needs to be on the field. I felt the same way when I played."

Zorn said he anticipated Portis practicing this week and playing as an every-down back in the upcoming game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

That was about the only point on which he and his disgruntled player agreed.

"I'm totally healthy after not playing against Baltimore," Portis said. "The thing about it, I'll be at practice tomorrow."

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...there is no better example of the supremely gifted athlete that has the intellectual maturity of a grapefruit than CP.

He has GOT to be worth some decent draft picks.

This isn't good. Given their remaining schedule, the Redskins can still make the playoffs. The loss of Samuels and this stuff from Portis deal a huge blow to their chances.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

This isn't good. Given their remaining schedule, the Redskins can still make the playoffs. The loss of Samuels and this stuff from Portis deal a huge blow to their chances.

...I think their play since the bye is more the problem. This team has gone about as far as it could reasonably be expected to go, maybe further, based on who we are and who we have and how we do things at the beginning of the season.

This is just a symptom; not the disease.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Portis's frustration is understandable.
IMO, Zorn is a quarterback coach and isn't doing so hot as a "whole team" coach.
Portis has ability and carried the team for awhile, his running allowing Campbell some more time for the passing game Zorn was trying to implement.
I, for one, am on Portis's side for this one. I don't doubt that Zorn is saying Portis should be blocking when he instead goes out for a quick pass, and saying he should be going out for a pass when he instead is blocking.
I've been disappointed by the obvious favoritism Zorn shows Campbell as a player (as he would, IMO, to any young QB) and lacking the realization that it takes more than repetitive passing to get your QB some more time...and while I'm ranting...clock management, coach. Learn it. He's improved, but FAR from where he should be.

[/armchair coaching]

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Portis's frustration is understandable.
IMO, Zorn is a quarterback coach and isn't doing so hot as a "whole team" coach.
Portis has ability and carried the team for awhile, his running allowing Campbell some more time for the passing game Zorn was trying to implement.
I, for one, am on Portis's side for this one. I don't doubt that Zorn is saying Portis should be blocking when he instead goes out for a quick pass, and saying he should be going out for a pass when he instead is blocking. I'm gonna go out on a limb and argue that Zorn just might, maybe, know what CP was or was not supposed to do and what was or was not his read
I've been disappointed by the obvious favoritism Zorn shows Campbell We must watch different games. He has seemed annoyed by Campbell a number of times as Jason has come to the sidelines after a bad playas a player (as he would, IMO, to any young QB) and lacking the realization that it takes more than repetitive passing to get your QB some more time...and while I'm ranting...clock management, coach. Learn it. He's improved, but FAR from where he should be.

[/armchair coaching]

This team started the season with problems on the O line, age and depth, D line, overall talent, and WR, lack of talent. Add to that a super star running his pie hole which, if anyone cares to remember, is nothing knew for Portis.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

marketing doesnt give a team a winning record, playoff birth or superbowl title

...those are secondary goals in a marketing perspective. Would he like to win? Sure. Is it the primary goal, before all other considerations? No.

Dan likes being part of the team, being part of the player personnel decisions and so forth. It's his team. It just happens to be a problem to the players, the league and the game that he presumes that it is so easy that he can be a successful part of it as opposed to a hindrance.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Can we just get rid of Cerrato instead and hire a real GM? :yahoo:

...I am glad that Snyder finally made his title official so that, regardless of how decisions are actually made, there is one place to look at when there are problems and successes. Drafting a punter; profoundly stupid. Horton? Great find. Taylor? Mistake.

In any event, no more mystery.