Portis Unloads Frustration on Zorn

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

This team started the season with problems on the O line, age and depth, D line, overall talent, and WR, lack of talent. Add to that a super star running his pie hole which, if anyone cares to remember, is nothing knew for Portis.

Our O line certainly needs work, this can't really be argued, but when apparently Zorn is biatching about Portis not coming off of a block and making his route (which, in most cases, is just an Option route, right? He's only supposed to do it if he can manage to make the catch and it isn't going to be allowing the defenseman to get to the QB) then I'm going to say that at least I feel that Zorn is saying things more out of frustration since Campbell isn't getting the hours of time to make a throw that Zorn feels he should :rolleyes:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and argue that Zorn just might, maybe, know what CP was or was not supposed to do and what was or was not his read
Not to completely disagree, but you know better than I do that it is much easier to tell someone what their "supposed" to do, from the sideline, than to actually have things go as planned all of the time. If Portis has to pick up the safety blitz that the D suprised them with, even though Portis was the go-to guy, then I can't blame him for doing that considering Campbell should be able to make the play to a WR at that point.
Of course Portis isn't perfect, and nor is Zorn, but I feel like Portis's frustration is understandable here. Zorn just comes off, to me, like he (as an ex QB) feels like everyone other than the QB should really be working to make the play. :shrug: I could be wrong.

We must watch different games. He has seemed annoyed by Campbell a number of times as Jason has come to the sidelines after a bad plays
Not nearly as often as I'd have liked to see. More often than not, it appears like Zorn is coddling Campbell and placing the blame elsewhere (not that it isn't always deserved). So the O line isn't doing it's job quite tremendously? Especially now, being hurt, there needs to be a change in gameplan. Did you see what's-his-face, the back up Center, go in and play 1 on 1 against Suggs (I think it was)? That is inexcuseable, IMO. He got run over, expectedly. My point...Zorn isn't quite doing his job as well as I'd hoped he would, and it's easy to see how he could be putting the blame places it really shouldn't be :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Our O line certainly needs work, this can't really be argued, but when apparently Zorn is biatching about Portis not coming off of a block and making his route (which, in most cases, is just an Option route, right? He's only supposed to do it if he can manage to make the catch and it isn't going to be allowing the defenseman to get to the QB) then I'm going to say that at least I feel that Zorn is saying things more out of frustration since Campbell isn't getting the hours of time to make a throw that Zorn feels he should :rolleyes: So the head coach is being the cry babay, not the super star prima donna?

Not to completely disagree, but you know better than I do that it is much easier to tell someone what their "supposed" to do, from the sideline, than to actually have things go as planned all of the time. There is no disputing what play was called and there is no disputing who is supposed to do what on each play. That's why they watch film and practice. If you read what Portis was saying you can tell he made the wrong read and is trying to justify himself by talking about Jason being on his butt all day. If Portis has to pick up the safety blitz that the D suprised them with, even though Portis was the go-to guy, then I can't blame him for doing that considering Campbell should be able to make the play to a WR at that point.
Of course Portis isn't perfect, and nor is Zorn, but I feel like Portis's frustration is understandable here. Zorn just comes off, to me, like he (as an ex QB) feels like everyone other than the QB should really be working to make the play. :shrug: I could be wrong.

Not nearly as often as I'd have liked to see. More often than not, it appears like Zorn is coddling Campbell and placing the blame elsewhere (not that it isn't always deserved). So the O line isn't doing it's job quite tremendously? Especially now, being hurt, there needs to be a change in gameplan. Did you see what's-his-face, the back up Center, go in and play 1 on 1 against Suggs (I think it was)? That is inexcuseable, IMO. He got run over, expectedly. My point...Zorn isn't quite doing his job as well as I'd hoped he would, and it's easy to see how he could be putting the blame places it really shouldn't be :shrug:

Every single person on that team knows who is right and who is wrong. They know the plays, they know the reads, they know the adjustments. If you think a head coach is going to go out there and risk his authority by publicly saying something that isn't true, and every player knows it, we disagree.

If you think a prima donna player with a history of runing his mouth when things aren't going well is in the right, we disagree.

:buddies:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Every single person on that team knows who is right and who is wrong. They know the plays, they know the reads, they know the adjustments. If you think a head coach is going to go out there and risk his authority by publicly saying something that isn't true, and every player knows it, we disagree.

If you think a prima donna player with a history of runing his mouth when things aren't going well is in the right, we disagree.

:buddies:

My last comment on this: Do plays not have to change on-the-fly at times?
People can say, all day long, how a play was "supposed" to go, but when that extra blitz comes in and Portis makes the decision to make a block instead of run his route, I can't say that he is necessarily the one in the wrong.

but everyone has their opinions. :buddies:
(oh, and for the record, I have seen him be a prima donna, but to this point, he has earned the right to act that way from time to time :shrug: )

Larry Gude

Strung Out

My last comment on this: Do plays not have to change on-the-fly at times?
People can say, all day long, how a play was "supposed" to go, but when that extra blitz comes in and Portis makes the decision to make a block instead of run his route, I can't say that he is necessarily the one in the wrong.

but everyone has their opinions. :buddies:
(oh, and for the record, I have seen him be a prima donna, but to this point, he has earned the right to act that way from time to time :shrug: )

...of course things change on the fly. The other guys are trying to win, too. Your argument is that Portis did right and his coach is making an azz of himself calling Portis out for making the wrong decisions when he made the right one. To what benefit?

My argument is every single person on that team and in the league knows when someone messes up and when there was nothing more the player could have done. This includes oddly enough, the head coach. Everyone makes mistakes. This includes coaches. It becomes a problem when the coach is not happy with HOW the mistake(s) are made and how the player deals with it. My coaches always told us WHEN, not if, WHEN you screw up do it at full speed and line up and run the next play. Full speed. This didn't stop them from calling us unflattering names on the field WHEN we screwed up. THAT didn't stop us from lining up and running the next play and moving on.

It seems obvious to me that CP's attitude and how he is dealing with things is the problem.

You say he has the right. I say that's inmates running the asylum.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

At least we can agree that our O line is in need of a serious overhaul. :shrug:

:lmao:

...and the D line and we need taller, faster solid WR's to make Moss and Cooley more effective.

A decent punter would be nice as long as it doesn't cost us a single draft pick. Campbell is not a top dog QB, I give on that point. However, neither were Rypien, Theisman or Williams. Well, Doug was a super talent. However, if the team is solid, Campbell is good enough. He can move, he has an arm, he's a competitor.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

...and the D line and we need taller, faster solid WR's to make Moss and Cooley more effective.

A decent punter would be nice as long as it doesn't cost us a single draft pick. Campbell is not a top dog QB, I give on that point. However, neither were Rypien, Theisman or Williams. Well, Doug was a super talent. However, if the team is solid, Campbell is good enough. He can move, he has an arm, he's a competitor.

I was never a Campbell fan. He almost hooked me this season and then :BAM:, he fell back into doing things how he used to. Not scrambling when he needs to just throw the ball away, making poor reads or taking too long for that perfect pass, and he just doesn't have the "fire in his eyes"...he looks scared. I have no doubt that he's a good guy, and he has been improving, but he still has quite a ways to go and hopefully he gets the help in order to live up to his potential.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I was never a Campbell fan. He almost hooked me this season and then :BAM:, he fell back into doing things how he used to. Not scrambling when he needs to just throw the ball away, making poor reads or taking too long for that perfect pass, and he just doesn't have the "fire in his eyes"...he looks scared. I have no doubt that he's a good guy, and he has been improving, but he still has quite a ways to go and hopefully he gets the help in order to live up to his potential.

...I would argue he 'fell back' as the dings and bruises to the O line became more pronounced, especially Samuel's, his blind side. Plus, Kendall is like 36 and Rahbach has been overwhelmed a good bit. Add to that Portis making bad reads and... :lol:

So, chicken or egg?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

...I would argue he 'fell back' as the dings and bruises to the O line became more pronounced, especially Samuel's, his blind side. Plus, Kendall is like 36 and Rahbach has been overwhelmed a good bit. Add to that Portis making bad reads and... :lol:

So, chicken or egg?

Oh, I totally agree...but a great player doesn't HAVE to fall back, he will make adjustments. :shrug: I mean, why can't him and Zorn work together to do more roll out pass plays to give him that extra time on his blind side? just as an example.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Oh, I totally agree...but a great player doesn't HAVE to fall back, he will make adjustments. :shrug: I mean, why can't him and Zorn work together to do more roll out pass plays to give him that extra time on his blind side? just as an example.

...you look around. I don't care who it is, unless we're talking GREAT, Elway, Marion, Jurgenson, they suffer when the O line is hurting.

Campbell is NOT a GREAT.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

...you look around. I don't care who it is, unless we're talking GREAT, Elway, Marion, Jurgenson, they suffer when the O line is hurting.

Campbell is NOT a GREAT.

Right.
and I wish he was :frown:

well, either way...it's in their court now. They can either step it up and give themselves a chance at a post season, or continue to make excuses.

BuddyLee

Football addict
You can't make adjustments when you're on your back. Want to know how bad the O-line is?

A two man Ravens front sacked our QB on Sunday Night. Two men against five.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

But who can we beat once we get there? :shrug:

...keep in mind, the Redskins haven't been blown out by anybody. Dallas is in our reach as is Philly. I can't see us beating the Giants or Panthers, teams with two solid lines. We could play with the Bucs and Saint's and, maybe, the Falcons.

Maybe win a wild car game. :buddies:

mainman

Set Trippin
...keep in mind, the Redskins haven't been blown out by anybody. Dallas is in our reach as is Philly. I can't see us beating the Giants or Panthers, teams with two solid lines. We could play with the Bucs and Saint's and, maybe, the Falcons.

I asked you the same question yesterday and you said Detroit...:killingme

BuddyLee

Football addict
Zorn and Portis met today and all is well. Frustrations built up and spewed out.

I love CP, he gives his heart and soul to every play and that's why he exploded. He wanted to be 'the man' playing against da' boys at M&T, a Miami reunion if you will. He was humiliated in primetime, according to his perspective. Zorn on the other hand was just trying to coach the game. After the Portis fumble and lack of a chip block, which resulted in a Campbell interception, Zorn pulled Portis. It seemed to Zorn that Portis' lack of practicing had finally caught up to him.

That's the thing. If you're not practicing you're not communicating with the head man (Zorn). If you're not communicating you're not positively absolutely sure of your assignments. If you miss those assignments you're surely to send the coach (any coach) into a tizzy. I didn't like nor understand Zorn sitting Portis in the game. I understand now and I'm glad he did it.

It's a shame Portis had to go to the media and do this. It seems to be something he's accustomed to doing. He did it with Gibbs in 06. Portis needs to put up and shut up.

BuddyLee

Football addict

If, IF they win the next three they will certainly have a shot to beat someone in the wildcard round. Those teams could be Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota, Tampa Bay or Arizona.

We simply cannot beat Carolina or N.Y.