Possibly relocating

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
oh I dont think so Cari, I hate it here to, just have no place to go, you got any ideas? dont tell me to go to hell either please :biggrin:

how 'bout going crazy?

terpsa

Bad Rap

Ok, I never posted before but I always check in. I just had to respond to this thread.

I'll start by saying that all of PG is not bad. No I never lived in PG, grew up in Anne Arundel all of my life so I am not biased towards PG.

PG has been perceived by non-African Americans as a bad place to live. When most people talk about the county and the crime and the so called "ghetto places or people" (whatever that means) most people refer to the areas that are inside the beltway(closer to DC). There are plenty of low crime and beautiful places in PG such as Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Brandywine, Clinton, Ft. Washingtion, Mitchellville,Glendale etc. As more African Americans have moved into the county the bad reputation started which seems to be the consensus in this country that as the more blacks move in the more the area becomes less desirable.

I continue to say that the county is perceived in a bad way because of the racial make-up of the county. When you compare PG to some of areas in Mongtomery County the crime statistics are no different. Compare demographics they are similar. The average income in these areas are very high, (check out the housing cost lately in Bowie or mitchellville). But Mongtomery does not get lumped all together as a bad county because of a few bad spots.

I know people who live in these areas who do not have worry about buying guns, boarding up windows or finding ways to protect themselves because of no perceived threat.

We have lived across the country, due to my husband career as a federal agent and we see this mentality of trashing the minority areas where upper middle class blacks live wherever we go.

Do not label the whole county as bad. PG, Charles, St. Marys, Mongtomery and Anne Arundel all have places I would never consider living.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Bad Rap

Originally posted by terpsa
Ok, I never posted before but I always check in. I just had to respond to this thread.

I'll start by saying that all of PG is not bad. No I never lived in PG, grew up in Anne Arundel all of my life so I am not biased towards PG.

PG has been perceived by non-African Americans as a bad place to live. When most people talk about the county and the crime and the so called "ghetto places or people" (whatever that means) most people refer to the areas that are inside the beltway(closer to DC). There are plenty of low crime and beautiful places in PG such as Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Brandywine, Clinton, Ft. Washingtion, Mitchellville,Glendale etc. As more African Americans have moved into the county the bad reputation started which seems to be the consensus in this country that as the more blacks move in the more the area becomes less desirable.

I continue to say that the county is perceived in a bad way because of the racial make-up of the county. When you compare PG to some of areas in Mongtomery County the crime statistics are no different. Compare demographics they are similar. The average income in these areas are very high, (check out the housing cost lately in Bowie or mitchellville). But Mongtomery does not get lumped all together as a bad county because of a few bad spots.

I know people who live in these areas who do not have worry about buying guns, boarding up windows or finding ways to protect themselves because of no perceived threat.

We have lived across the country, due to my husband career as a federal agent and we see this mentality of trashing the minority areas where upper middle class blacks live wherever we go.

Do not label the whole county as bad. PG, Charles, St. Marys, Mongtomery and Anne Arundel all have places I would never consider living.

I definitely didn’t label the whole county as bad. Generally speaking, though, it’s not a great place to be. I stated that Bowie is a nice area…but they are fighting tooth and nail to be out of PG County. Ghetto-fied places are everwhere…it’s NOT a black/white issue. My dislike of PG county has nothing to do with the fact that I am a minority in 90% of the places I go when I’m out and about. It’s just really gone downhill. Upper Marlboro isn’t all the nice either, it’s ‘okay’ as far as I’m concerned, but certainly not great.

JabbaJawz

Be about it

The real problem is the abundance of low-income housing throughout. It has a tendency to attract trashy people who have no respect for themselves or for the community. Yes, low-income housing is necessary, but most areas with many of these apartments see the neighborhoods taking turns for the worst.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Please pull your head out of your a$$. Before you spout off about $hit you know nothing about educate yourself. The crime rate in PG County is outrageous. Ft. Washington a good area? Clinton? Good Lord! Ft. Washington has a good neighborhood or two but the rest of the city is crap. Clinton, I won't even go there.

Last edited:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Bad Rap

Originally posted by cattitude
Oh for crap sake. Why does it ALWAYS revert to this?

My thoughts exactly. In no way, shape, or form did I ever refer to PG being bad because of the racial mix they have there.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Re: Bad Rap

Originally posted by SmallTown
Yea, I hear it really blows :eek:

Clinton is HORRID!!! It’s WAY worse than where I live in PG county. I have stopped there at the Wal-Mart and a few fast food places on my way home occasionally and it’s the nastiest, rudest place!

jaievans

More Help!!!

Okay guys! Before I start a fight, I have a few more questions. Where would you recomend in PG? Also, I know rent is high there, but are there areas within a 1/2 hour or an hour commute that won't run $1000 a month and are a little more safe/rural?

Thanks again

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: More Help!!!

Originally posted by jaievans
Okay guys! Before I start a fight, I have a few more questions. Where would you recomend in PG? Also, I know rent is high there, but are there areas within a 1/2 hour or an hour commute that won't run $1000 a month and are a little more safe/rural?

Thanks again

You didn’t start a fight…it’s a normal occurrence here, :lol:! Where exactly in PG is your husband’s potential job?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
The only place in PG county I would even consider living myself would be rural Brandywine. Right next to the Charles County line. It's still pretty decent there. Good luck trying to find a rental property there though

RodRugg

I used to live in Mechanicsville, and let me just say this: That is no place to be. One time I was beaten senseless by three guys on motorcycles. They threw me down and tried to pull my teeth with some pliers. I would never live there again ever. Another place I would not live is Thailand. Everything smells like burnt wood and I can't read any of the signs.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by cariblue
I nominate this as the "post of the day".

I wonder if RodRugg is an MPD? I’d be willing to place a wager on that, lol!!!

If not, RodRugg…take no offense…and :howdy: welcome!