Potato Salad

Bubbaj47

100% Redneck
My grandmother who was born and raised in St. Marys County used to make the best potato salad. It used mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and vinegar. This was heated in a pan and mixed with potatoes and eggs. Anyone have a recipe like this as I don't remember the amounts or anything?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
MIL used to make this:

Hot Tater Salad

6 cooked taters, cut up
6 boiled eggs, sliced

3/4 to one pound of bacon and 1 large onion (cook these together over med-low heat and drain) - set aside some bacon grease

Put all of the above in large bowl. (you can added sliced iceburg lettuce if you want - actually it is good i it).

Make a dressing of mayo, vinegar, dry mustard, sugar and salt/pepper to taste (she did it by taste, I have NO idea what measurements to use). Warm this in the pan used to cook bacon and onions. Keep salad warm. Stir dressing in the pan a minute or so and pour over the salad. Let sit a few minutes to blend.

It was great stuff.

May also want to google Hot German Potato Salad?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
MIL used to make this:

Hot Tater Salad

6 cooked taters, cut up
6 boiled eggs, sliced

3/4 to one pound of bacon and 1 large onion (cook these together over med-low heat and drain) - set aside some bacon grease

Put all of the above in large bowl. (you can added sliced iceburg lettuce if you want - actually it is good i it).

Make a dressing of mayo, vinegar, dry mustard, sugar and salt/pepper to taste (she did it by taste, I have NO idea what measurements to use). Warm this in the pan used to cook bacon and onions. Keep salad warm. Stir dressing in the pan a minute or so and pour over the salad. Let sit a few minutes to blend.

It was great stuff.

May also want to google Hot German Potato Salad?
Ooooo.... I never had it with the bacon.

Forget portions Bubba, just wing it. I bet that's what your granny did. :yay: I will say easy on the vinegar though!!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Ooooo.... I never had it with the bacon.

Forget portions Bubba, just wing it. I bet that's what your granny did. :yay: I will say easy on the vinegar though!!

Haven't had it in forever, but it is sooooo good. I need to give it a shot one of these days.

Bubbaj47

100% Redneck
This sounds close to what she made. I'm going to give a try and see what I can do. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks. :elaine:

Cowgirl

Hmm...it's not quite the same, but I saute bacon, onions, and celery and add it to red skinned potatoes (skin on) with mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and a hard boiled egg. I also add just a little pickle juice. It's really good!

T

toppick08

Hmm...it's not quite the same, but I saute bacon, onions, and celery and add it to red skinned potatoes (skin on) with mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and a hard boiled egg. I also add just a little pickle juice. It's really good!

Wilted salad ..:whistle:

Pickle juice is the secret ingredient!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Pickle juice is the secret ingredient!

I used to work with a lady who made the best potato salad ever! Her secret was to add a little bit of Heinz relish to it. I also add a little bit of yellow mustard (adds some tang!).

Now, I'm hungry for potato salad, darn it!:drool: