POTUS has put more money in my pocket since he took office

hotbikermama40

Not on my end. I have a cautious portfolio and it had been struggling along; Trump gets elected, and boom! I'm seeing way more growth.

That's how it is with mine, too. I'm very conservative in mine and my results are the same with regards to pre- and post-election

hitchicken

Hate to tell you this, but you have not made any money until you sell or cash out.
And if the market was down, you wouldn't lose any money, unless you sold or cashed out.

DOWhat is right. Right now, I'm out with cash in hand. DJI has been flat since March 1 after over 18% gain after Trump election just over 3 months earlier. From Obama win to Trump win, DJI averaged a little over 5% per year.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
DOWhat is right. Right now, I'm out with cash in hand. DJI has been flat since March 1 after over 18% gain after Trump election just over 3 months earlier. From Obama win to Trump win, DJI averaged a little over 5% per year.

Actually, under Obama, the DJI grew 148%. An average of 18% per year. So far, under Trump, the DJI has grown 6.5%. So, if that trend continues, we're looking at 15-18% of growth during Trump's first year. So, it's looking like the trend during the last administration is continuing.

DJI-O.jpg DJI-T.jpg

hitchicken

Charts are misleading... & my math skills need improvement.

Actually, under Obama, the DJI grew 148%. An average of 18% per year. So far, under Trump, the DJI has grown 6.5%. So, if that trend continues, we're looking at 15-18% of growth during Trump's first year. So, it's looking like the trend during the last administration is continuing.

View attachment 118799 View attachment 118800

With all due respect: I think your charts are very misleading (not necessarily intentionally) The first chart appears to show 150% improvement over what? What's the zero baseline?
The DJI? No. I think not. It shows 150% improvement over 'Bush's line' which has been normalized or 'zeroed-out' to serve as a 0 baseline Thus it shows Obama outperformed Bush by 150%. That may be accurate. Your 2nd chart tries to normalize the Bush/Obama trace as a baseline and project Trumps gain in comparison.

I've included an actual DJI for 10 years. Note the difference between Obama was elected and Trump was elected. The gain is 106.67% over 8 years or 13.32% per year. Trump's >18% was achieved by March 1, 2017 so projecting as 5% for a year yet undone is frau... incorrect. That said, I did make a math error calculating 5% per year under Obama. Sorry.

I would be interested to see where the DJI gained 150% from the beginning of Obama's term to the very end. If you can, I'll admit my error.

Attachments

• badinterp1.jpg
    badinterp1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 44
  • badinterp2.jpg
    badinterp2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 48
  • obamaDJI1.jpg
    obamaDJI1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 55

philibusters

I think you are misunderstanding the chart. If the DJI was 10 on the day Obama came into office and it went up 140 percent it means it went up 14 points. What Bush did before or Trump after wouldn't affect that. The line you are seeing for Bush is where the index was at the day Bush left office. It could have gone up 1000 percent during his term, the flat line there is there so you can compare the market during Obama's term to the day he took office.

Also the S&P500 is a far better indicator then the Dow Jones. It is made if 500 of the biggest US companies whereas the Dow is only comprised of 30 and all 30 in the Dow are included in the S&P 500.

awpitt

Main Streeter
With all due respect: I think your charts are very misleading (not necessarily intentionally) The first chart appears to show 150% improvement over what? What's the zero baseline?
The DJI? No. I think not. It shows 150% improvement over 'Bush's line' which has been normalized or 'zeroed-out' to serve as a 0 baseline Thus it shows Obama outperformed Bush by 150%. That may be accurate. Your 2nd chart tries to normalize the Bush/Obama trace as a baseline and project Trumps gain in comparison.

I've included an actual DJI for 10 years. Note the difference between Obama was elected and Trump was elected. The gain is 106.67% over 8 years or 13.32% per year. Trump's >18% was achieved by March 1, 2017 so projecting as 5% for a year yet undone is frau... incorrect. That said, I did make a math error calculating 5% per year under Obama. Sorry.

I would be interested to see where the DJI gained 150% from the beginning of Obama's term to the very end. If you can, I'll admit my error.

Actually, the charts are not misleading. You misunderstood them. That might be my fault as philibusters explained them better than I did. Each chart starts at 0% being equal to the DJI average on the day the person assumed office and then tracks the changes in the DJI from that day forward.

Here is the Website were the charts came from. Actually, pretty cool. You can select or unselect which presidents you want to compare.

http://www.macrotrends.net/2481/stock-market-performance-by-president

This chart shows all of them back to Reagan. All of them starting at 0% being equal to the DJI average on the day the person assumed office and then tracks the changes in the DJI from that day forward to the end of their term. I also placed a marker on the five month mark to show the performance of the DJI at the five month mark of all of the presidents shown since Trump is five months in. DJI is looking pretty good so far under Trump. It's about a full percentage point ahead of Obama at this point in 2009; however, Obama inherited a much worse economy than what Trump did.

DJI-all.jpg