Power Tilt and Trim and Gauge questions

D

dems4me

On my one boats I have a power trim tilt for an 85 HP Johnson engine but it needs carb reeds worked on and have had it attemped to be fixed several times by friends to no avial... on the boat I bought last year (another used one off ebay)... it has an 85 Force... however NO POWER TILT AND TRIM... It's kind of a PITA when I trailer it because I have to manually get out, get in the water (yes with jellyfish) to try to get it up or put it down (physically lifting engine up and down until it clicks in place, and then putting the tow bar in through the holes in place.) I would have NEVER considered purchasing this boat had I known in advance it did not have power tile and trim, although I'm strong enough to handle this and do it in the water, its just a PITA. I just thought that any engine the size of an 85 HP would have a trim and tilt like my other one. I also don't like trailering all together.

This year I lucked out and have a very cheap boat slip at the marina where I put in at which means not having to lug the boat back and forth, all I have to do is drive down anytime and hop in the boat... no prepping the trailer, testing lights, etc the night before or having to untrailer the boat when I am done. But given that its salt water, I definately STILL need to get my engine up and down which is still putting me in the water or getting stronger biceps. I'm afraid if I leave it down in the salt water it'll corrode.

As an option I was looking around online (ebay) for hyraudlic tilt and trim... one has a guage and one does not - what's the difference... also yes, I'm aware I'll probably need a converter kit because mine is hooked on by transom clamps.... any suggestions on getting one with gauge versus no guage? Any other CHEAPER fixes???:confused: :shrug: Here's one with a guage http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PT-1...tegoryZ50439QQihZ006QQitemZ160104366242QQrdZ1
and here's the same one without a guage http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PT-1...tegoryZ50439QQihZ006QQitemZ160106747613QQrdZ1

Last edited by a moderator:

LordStanley

I know nothing
dems4me said:
On my one boats I have a power trim tilt for an 85 HP Johnson engine but it needs carb reeds worked on and have had it attemped to be fixed several times by friends to no avial... on the boat I bought last year (another used one off ebay)... it has an 85 Force... however NO POWER TILT AND TRIM... It's kind of a PITA when I trailer it because I have to manually get out, get in the water (yes with jellyfish) to try to get it up or put it down (physically lifting engine up and down until it clicks in place, and then putting the tow bar in through the holes in place.) I would have NEVER considered purchasing this boat had I known in advance it did not have power tile and trim, although I'm strong enough to handle this and do it in the water, its just a PITA. I just thought that any engine the size of an 85 HP would have a trim and tilt like my other one. I also don't like trailering all together.

This year I lucked out and have a very cheap boat slip at the marina where I put in at which means not having to lug the boat back and forth, all I have to do is drive down anytime and hop in the boat... no prepping the trailer, testing lights, etc the night before or having to untrailer the boat when I am done. But given that its salt water, I definately STILL need to get my engine up and down which is still putting me in the water or getting stronger biceps. I'm afraid if I leave it down in the salt water it'll corrode.

As an option I was looking around online (ebay) for hyraudlic tilt and trim... one has a guage and one does not - what's the difference... also yes, I'm aware I'll probably need a converter kit because mine is hooked on by transom clamps.... any suggestions on getting one with gauge versus no guage? Any other CHEAPER fixes???:confused: :shrug: Here's one with a guage http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PT-1...tegoryZ50439QQihZ006QQitemZ160104366242QQrdZ1
and here's the same one without a guage http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PT-1...tegoryZ50439QQihZ006QQitemZ160106747613QQrdZ1

Are we talking about a little jon boat?

D

dems4me

LordStanley said:
Are we talking about a little jon boat?

:lol: No, not unless you want to do backflips with an 85HP :lol: Although I have seen some with 90HP and just laughed at the overkill (although it wasn't "a little" jon boat. :lol: This boat in particular is a powerboat - bayliner/cuddy. Or, are you just shocked I can trailer anything bigger than "a little john boat" by myself :biggrin: :lol: I just figured last year, I'm getting out on the water, broken wrist/arm cast and all... if I'm determined enough I can do just about anything. :lol:

T.Rally

On Mercruiser I/Os the trim sending unit wires are notorius for becoming chafed, end result; trim gauge quits working. I really don't mind being without the gauge as I pretty much have learned that proper trim can be achieved by the sound of the motor and feel of the ride in the boat. I guess what I'm saying is the gauge is not that important to me so I would opt for w\o.

The 85 Johnson is a much better motor than the Force. Instead of spending $500.00 on a trim unit, why not take the Johnson and have it professionally repaired or at least looked at? Have you had a compression check done on it? The actual reading is not as important as the difference between the cylinders. They should be within 5 psi of each other.

dems4me said:

The guage just indicates where your motor is so you have a good idea of where to have it for the best motor performance. Mine quit working years ago and I never felt the need to fix it. I just go by sound.

D

dems4me

T.Rally said:
On Mercruiser I/Os the trim sending unit wires are notorius for becoming chafed, end result; trim gauge quits working. I really don't mind being without the gauge as I pretty much have learned that proper trim can be achieved by the sound of the motor and feel of the ride in the boat. I guess what I'm saying is the gauge is not that important to me so I would opt for w\o.

The 85 Johnson is a much better motor than the Force. Instead of spending $500.00 on a trim unit, why not take the Johnson and have it professionally repaired or at least looked at? Have you had a compression check done on it? The actual reading is not as important as the difference between the cylinders. They should be within 5 psi of each other.

Because its much older... its a good engine but its a 1974... alot of professional boat engine repair places won't even touch it and say parts are too hard to find. The Mercury is an outboard... there's a plastic peice or something on the engine you can adjust for trim, never needed too though. I've been thinking about removing the tilt trim from johnson engine but I don't know that that would work, I remembered looking into this last year and I think a friend told me it wouldn't work after looking at the two.

LordStanley

I know nothing
dems4me said:
:lol: No, not unless you want to do backflips with an 85HP :lol: Although I have seen some with 90HP and just laughed at the overkill (although it wasn't "a little" jon boat. :lol: This boat in particular is a powerboat - bayliner/cuddy. Or, are you just shocked I can trailer anything bigger than "a little john boat" by myself :biggrin: :lol: I just figured last year, I'm getting out on the water, broken wrist/arm cast and all... if I'm determined enough I can do just about anything. :lol:

Well since it took me so long to respond, I was going to say the same as above.

However I would add, a trim gauge is really not needed for and outboard. But if you were ever to upgrade to another boat with an I/O then i would recommend having one. Getting into shallow water and not knowing how far down your drive is, is asking for trouble.

D

dems4me

desertrat said:
The guage just indicates where your motor is so you have a good idea of where to have it for the best motor performance. Mine quit working years ago and I never felt the need to fix it. I just go by sound.

I spend most my time anchored, fishing or crabbing, not on plane that much where I'd hear it, at least not more than about 10 min tops if that on plane ... :lol: I don't feel safe enough with it yet to take it out for long trips, especially alone, not to mention it eats gas like crazy and I just have a 5 gallon tank :lol:

D

dems4me

LordStanley said:
Well since it took me so long to respond, I was going to say the same as above.

However I would add, a trim gauge is really not needed for and outboard. But if you were ever to upgrade to another boat with an I/O then i would recommend having one. Getting into shallow water and not knowing how far down your drive is, is asking for trouble.

thanks... I'm working my way up to one... after a few month on the water, perhaps next year I might get another beater boat... but slowly but surely my beater boats are getting bigger and better :lol: Started with a John Boat that I split with someone and was in my name... did that for about a year or two but got tired of the "if I move I'm tipping the boat over" feeling :lol:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
dems4me said:

OK the gauges are not really of any use it will let you know when what position the motor is in. It is my experience that you will know what position the motor is in by sound and feel.

I used to have a 135 evenrude with out power tilt. You climb over the transom well put one foot on either side of the motor feet resting on the transome and give a good tug presto it should come right up using the strength from your leggs like a leg press machine. I would forego the tilt option if it was me. Even with the motor tilted You should coat the lower unit and brackets with some anti foul paint for outboards anyway. An 85 hp should not be that hard to tilt manually

D

dems4me

Dougstermd said:
OK the gauges are not really of any use it will let you know when what position the motor is in. It is my experience that you will know what position the motor is in by sound and feel.

I used to have a 135 evenrude with out power tilt. You climb over the transom well put one foot on either side of the motor feet resting on the transome and give a good tug presto it should come right up using the strength from your leggs like a leg press machine. I would forego the tilt option if it was me. Even with the motor tilted You should coat the lower unit and brackets with some anti foul paint for outboards anyway. An 85 hp should not be that hard to tilt manually

I'm just not that gracefull or strong enough. I'd need to lift it with one hand and lock it in place with the other - all while hanging 3/4 of the way over the back end of the boat kind of upside down (not happening). :lol: Its mostly the acwkardness of it all, I can obviously lift it using two hands and hold it with one while in water and then simply lock in place as I had done before but my boat slip isn't that shallow where I can get out and do all this while in the water. I was thinking maybe attaching a rope and pulling it if that would be any easier????? I know it'd be a heck of a lot cheaper :lol: It looks a bit like this... it sounds easy but maybe my arm's just isn't long enough, with rope it may help pull it up to where I can reach it without falling out boat... here's something very similar to what I have - it would look easy but its bigger in real life and its a whole lot of stretching using muscle... the motor's in tow position here, not all the way down as it would be in the water when tryign to retrieve it back up.

Attachments

• 82bf_3.jpg
    82bf_3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 89

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
It seems to me that the mechnism is supposed to lock when the motor is fully tilted. Then you pullit up and it unlatches to be lowered again. Some very old Inboard out boards had a cable that attached to the lower unit and you actually winched the unit to tilt it. Still the modern 85 horse should not be that bad the 135 we had was huge.

LordStanley

I know nothing
dems4me said:
I'm just not that gracefull or strong enough. I'd need to lift it with one hand and lock it in place with the other - all while hanging 3/4 of the way over the back end of the boat kind of upside down (not happening). :lol: Its mostly the acwkardness of it all, I can obviously lift it using two hands and hold it with one while in water and then simply lock in place as I had done before but my boat slip isn't that shallow where I can get out and do all this while in the water. I was thinking maybe attaching a rope and pulling it if that would be any easier????? I know it'd be a heck of a lot cheaper :lol: It looks a bit like this... it sounds easy but maybe my arm's just isn't long enough, with rope it may help pull it up to where I can reach it without falling out boat... here's something very similar to what I have - it would look easy but its bigger in real life and its a whole lot of stretching using muscle... the motor's in tow position here, not all the way down as it would be in the water when tryign to retrieve it back up.

Hunny, with a boat like that, you need power tilt and trim. Hell, just being able to trim out the drive, decreasing drag and get that sucker to plane will save you in gas. (not to mention increasing your top end speed)

D

dems4me

Dougstermd said:
It seems to me that the mechnism is supposed to lock when the motor is fully tilted. Then you pullit up and it unlatches to be lowered again. Some very old Inboard out boards had a cable that attached to the lower unit and you actually winched the unit to tilt it. Still the modern 85 horse should not be that bad the 135 we had was huge.

What a pain, I can't imagine manually lifting a 135hp :crazy: It does have a lock but it has a bend or something in it if I recall correctly... you definately needed to fiddle with it (the lock) until it clicked in lock position (only when you are pulling it up into place though) going down is fine. I'll figure something out... the slip has a handcapped ramp that goes down to the boat and another sub peir that sticks out about a foot below the peir decking about 7inches, I'm hoping maybe I can back boat into slip and then put engine in place stepping on the narrow plank that juts out. If not, I'll just make sure to come and go in low tide when I can be sure I can stand up in water to secure engine. :lol: Was just wondering what y'all did or if gauge was needed, but I'm quickly starting to see y'all just used brute strength and hoisted the thing up.... where there's a will there's a way, I'm sure I'll think of something or just learn to use leg muscles instead of arms or back somehow in this new feat... :lol:

D

dems4me

LordStanley said:
Hunny, with a boat like that, you need power tilt and trim. Hell, just being able to trim out the drive, decreasing drag and get that sucker to plane will save you in gas. (not to mention increasing your top end speed)

I don't take it out far so Im' not worried, generally I go where I can still see the marina :baby: but if the crabs arn't running, I'll move a bit further out, but not really far at all... the 85hp on a 5 gallon tank won't let me get too far and knowing my luck and all... I'm leary about carryign a bunch of full gas tanks under the hull... When I'm by myself, I just get far enough out so that I'm out of everyone's way of the channel and of the marina mouth usually as most the time I have best luck crabbing there, if not I have to venture out to honey hole #2 which still isn't too far away. If I used it for water skiing and tubbing then yeah, I guess I would be more worried about the trim and gas consumption and perfect planing. Generally by the time I get where I'm going the motor is barely even warmed up. :lol: I throw the anchor over, turn on the radio and get to work setting up lines then I guess next step will be applying sunscreen... I'm determined not to burn this year :biggrin:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I aint sayin that power tilt is not needed. It will make your life a lot easier.

The gauge is really not a requirement.

I am just sayin that for the $600 or so to add tilt you can by some other nice stuff:shrug:

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
Wow... not even your "protective" base burn...:shocking:

No, I start with my base burn... :banghead: it fades unto a tan... after that I have my base tan and don't really burn much the rest of the year... I really do get dark.... but in light of now knowing malignant melanoma runs in families and a family member has it... I'm opting to wear sunscreen :biggrin: and I guess some motor oil too from the lifting of engine up and down between my legs. :lol:

D

dems4me

Dougstermd said:
I am just sayin that for the $600 or so to add tilt you can by some other nice stuff:shrug:

Most definately, I'm not even sure if boat is worth that much :lol: that's why I was asking if guage is really needed, and if there's a way around a hydraulic jack or what y'all do :huggy: I looked it up on ebay for a price and :faint: :lol: