Pre-K Registration "terms"

Kinda sucks when your children are punished simply because you, as their parent, decided to make the right decisions when you were growing up. Education, job, good marriage, etc.

Just think.... that red-headed, 3rd grade educated, single mother of 5 will be able to send all her kids to Harvard soon....

I am separated... and only make $70K... to me, that isn't enough money to constitute my son being "financially privileged."

Children not getting into prek isn't that big of a deal unless you needed it for free childcare. Mothers can simply teach their own kids how to act and work with them to have them ready for kindergarten. This is actually the job as a mother,not to just crap them out for daycares and schools to train.
Second,if all of the single moms with five kids could send them to Harvard,wouldn't that be a good thing? Not all single moms are single by their own fault. Some man wants to act stupid and the woman has the good sense to leave and take on a huge responsibility - that's commendable,not something to be embarrassed of. Women can do everything right - go to college,have a good job,get married first - only to see some douche flush it down the toilet.

Daycare isn't cheap. Especially when you have more than one child. I am going to register him but if he doesn't get in, I will just try to work as hard as I can to get him up to speed for Kindergarten. :ohwell:

I know what you all are thinking... "God help that child..."

Believe it or not, I am book-smart... I am just naïve when it comes to a lot of common sense. :ohwell:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
is there some part of 'stay at home mom' you don't understand ....

Why are you such an a**?

Not all mothers CAN stay at home. Not all people live with their parents or other family nearby (or in the same house) to help out.

There is more than one path to raising children.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Believe it or not, I am book-smart... I am just naïve when it comes to a lot of common sense. :ohwell:

You are smart, and you do have common sense. The only thing you lack is confidence.

I'd bet that you have already taught him plenty. Don't short change yourself. This whole parenting isn't that hard to do, just trust yourself as you work with him. Helping him read, count, and write is easy.

The kids who have problems are the ones who do not have parents willing to spend time with their kids. That isn't you. He'll be fine.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Why are you such an a**?

Not all mothers CAN stay at home. Not all people live with their parents or other family nearby (or in the same house) to help out.

There is more than one path to raising children.

Bingo. :yeahthat:

You are smart, and you do have common sense. The only thing you lack is confidence.

I'd bet that you have already taught him plenty. Don't short change yourself. This whole parenting isn't that hard to do, just trust yourself as you work with him. Helping him read, count, and write is easy.

The kids who have problems are the ones who do not have parents willing to spend time with their kids. That isn't you. He'll be fine.

My mom says the confidence thing comes with age. I'll be 30 in 3 months. :ohwell: ..............:bawl:

JeJeTe

Happiness
I am separated... and only make $70K... to me, that isn't enough money to constitute my son being "financially privileged."

Daycare isn't cheap. Especially when you have more than one child. I am going to register him but if he doesn't get in, I will just try to work as hard as I can to get him up to speed for Kindergarten. :ohwell:

You are wonderful and don't have to justify your intelligence to anyone here. :huggy: I'm sure Bubba will be more than ready for school no matter whether he gets in Pre-K or not.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I agree with each side here.

However, I was a SAHM, but because Thing1 had developmental disabilities and was a handful, and needed many different supports. I felt I needed to be home in order to manage his care and oversee all of his special needs: education included. I didn't know if I was doing the right thing, but in hindsight it seems as though it was. We made due on an E5 salary for many years (1991-1998) until the EX made E6. That was still not a lot of money. Then Thing2 came along in 1996.

I made the decision not to send him to preschool - in FL there wasn't any free preschool - and it was NOT in our family budget to send him. One of my neighbors criticized me saying he would be woefully unprepared for Kindergarten. :rolleyes: He learned at home through everyday things: gardening, housework, going places (shopping, etc) with me, some TV even. From READING!

Even though the K teacher proclaimed him to be a "little behind" (gross motor skills, couldnt stand on one foot for X mins) (fine motor skills: had trouble with scissors & writing-was left handed) when she tested him before starting...he did fine by 3 months in. His socialization was family, neighbor children, people in the grocery stores, Post Office, etc. He even loved to read about Batboy in the grocery line rag papers once he could read. :lmao:

You know what's best for your child and you. :huggy: It will be fine if he doesn't "qualify" for pre-school. There are lots of ways to teach kids and socialize them.

MarieB

There are some daycare centers that combine daycare and preschool classes. They aren't cheap, but maybe whey wouldn't be more than you are paying right now?

KDENISE977

There are some daycare centers that combine daycare and preschool classes. They aren't cheap, but maybe whey wouldn't be more than you are paying right now?

:yeahthat: my son goes to one of these and it's not that expensive, granted your son is potty trained, it's less than $200 per week !!!