Pre-Workout Supplement for over 50

Starman

There's nothing fancy smancy about supplementing. I've decided to start lifting weights again, get back in shape and stay that way. An ordinary diet just doesn't provide everything I need at 55 to prepare for the workout and recovery from the workout.

You need an appropriate mix of protein and carbohydrate. I don't purport to know what that is for you, but:

I'm in my 50s and I run an average of 70 miles a week for cardio. I only do weight training 2x weekly. I want to be lean, but I want good core strength and do good work for my bones. My doctor has persuaded me that cardio is more important at my age than weight training is. You need to weight train too, but he wants me to focus on cardio.

I practice a "work week vegetarian" diet. M-F it's lots of fresh vegetables and legumes -- lentils, beans, etc. We have something with pork on Saturdays and something with beef on Sundays. A whole chicken which provides leftovers every now and then. Throw in some quinoa during the week (a complete protein), and you're covered M-F. For breakfast 3-4 days during the work week, I have a fresh fruit smoothie. Some citrus, some apples, some bananas, some strawberries or mangos in season (basically whatever you can get that's fresh)... Usually fills up a 40 oz glass and provides energy until lunch. Other days I have eggs. We keep a sourdough starter going year round and only eat bread we make -- no commercially-made bread allowed.

We generally buy beef and pork on the hoof locally in southern MD and we figure out a way to make it last for a year until we take another delivery.

I do drink a mix called "Accelerade" on longer endurance runs. I've used gels from time to time. If you're burning energy, you need carbs. This is a 4:1 carbohydrate/protein drink. All carbs need some protein to deliver energy to your cells. I find I don't need supplementation for weight training, but it only plays a supplemental part in my training regimen.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You need an appropriate mix of protein and carbohydrate. I don't purport to know what that is for you, but:

I'm in my 50s and I run an average of 70 miles a week for cardio. I only do weight training 2x weekly. I want to be lean, but I want good core strength and do good work for my bones. My doctor has persuaded me that cardio is more important at my age than weight training is. You need to weight train too, but he wants me to focus on cardio.

I practice a "work week vegetarian" diet. M-F it's lots of fresh vegetables and legumes -- lentils, beans, etc. We have something with pork on Saturdays and something with beef on Sundays. A whole chicken which provides leftovers every now and then. Throw in some quinoa during the week (a complete protein), and you're covered M-F. For breakfast 3-4 days during the work week, I have a fresh fruit smoothie. Some citrus, some apples, some bananas, some strawberries or mangos in season (basically whatever you can get that's fresh)... Usually fills up a 40 oz glass and provides energy until lunch. Other days I have eggs. We keep a sourdough starter going year round and only eat bread we make -- no commercially-made bread allowed.

We generally buy beef and pork on the hoof locally in southern MD and we figure out a way to make it last for a year until we take another delivery.

I do drink a mix called "Accelerade" on longer endurance runs. I've used gels from time to time. If you're burning energy, you need carbs. This is a 4:1 carbohydrate/protein drink. All carbs need some protein to deliver energy to your cells. I find I don't need supplementation for weight training, but it only plays a supplemental part in my training regimen.

Thanks for your input.

My weakness has always been running. Even though it was what we had to do in the military, it just never worked for me. Besides, a lot of reading I've been doing calls for older folks needing strength training far more than cardio. The drastic loss of muscle mass and bone density at our age requires strength training over cardio. Although I do HIIT training several times a week for cardio.

I just can't do vegetarian. I love meat too much. But, the core of my meat intake is chicken. I eat a lot of eggs (no yokes). Extremely few processed foods like pasta. Absolutely no junk food or refined sugars. No sodas. All-in-all a very clean diet.

somers

Great tips! I think it is never too late to start doing workouts, even if you are for over 50 years old. In my opinion eating right and exercising regularly are key to a long and healthy life. A good workout routine can really keep the years off. People who workout regularly and eat right usually look at least 10 years younger than people who don’t. If we start to workout at 50 we can face the problem that we have less energy than before. With this problem can help different supplements. I can recommend to try Lycopene or peptide PT 141 and you will see the great results.

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The LW and I are using RARI Nutrition Infinity, it’s like a milder version of Cellucor C4. Gives you a good tingle that you can feel within 10 minutes or so, digestive issues afterwards. B complex vitamins, caffeine, beta alanine and no magnesium.