Preakness this Saturday should be

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
very interesting with the addition of Filly Rachel Alexandra. With Calvin Borel riding Rachel Alexandra and Mike Smith riding Mine That Bird I don't know who to cheer for. I don't want to see Rachel Alexandra beat, but I'd love to see Mine That Bird get one step closer to the Triple Crown. What if Mine That Bird wins the Preakness and then Rachel Alexandra doesn't go to the Belmont. Do they stick with Mike Smith or give the ride back to Calvin Borel.

Well I just hope it is a clean race, that the weather is as wet as they are calling for, and that none of the horses in the race are hurt.

Mine That Bird in the Derby
YouTube - 2009 Kentucky Derby Replay

Rachel Alexandra
YouTube - Rachel Alexandra - Kentucky Oaks @ Churchill Downs 5/1/09

avapie

It should be a great race. It is interesting that Calvin Borel chose the filly to ride. That tells me where to put my money!

FrmGrl

Get some!
It should be a great race. It is interesting that Calvin Borel chose the filly to ride. That tells me where to put my money!
Yes Calvin must know something. My bet is he rides the rail with that filly and runs the same kind of race. Only problem is Mine That Bird's jocky knows it. this should be fun to see.

Bilbo

Calvin said before the Derby that he thought Rachel Alexandra was the better horse. My understanding is that Calvin was already contracted to ride all of her races this year. Contract was done under old owners who did not plan on her being in Triple Crown races. When new owners (she was sold after Kentucky Oaks) decided on Preakness, Calvin really had no choice.

FrmGrl

Get some!
Calvin said before the Derby that he thought Rachel Alexandra was the better horse. My understanding is that Calvin was already contracted to ride all of her races this year. Contract was done under old owners who did not plan on her being in Triple Crown races. When new owners (she was sold after Kentucky Oaks) decided on Preakness, Calvin really had no choice.
I think it was quite dirty for Mine That Bird's owners to try and keep her out of the race. I hope she kicks butt. I read an article that Calvin choose to ride the filly. I dont know how those contracts work but wouldnt it have been null after she was sold to someone else?? Are you contracted for the horse under the owner or just the horse?

FrmGrl

Get some!
And the filly takes it!!!!!!:dye:Good job Rachel and Calvin. No one was giving up the rail for them but she pulled through anyway. Way to show them boys!!!

fredsaid2

:confused:
She had the lead coming out of the box and held it for the entire race.

True! It was Mine that Bird who couldn't get on the rail. He's an amazing horse though. Two come-from-behinds and so close this time. But the filly! Wow!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I didn't watch I was too afraid I might see something disasterous. I am glad the filly ran. Chicks rule:dude:

Last edited:

devinej

hahahahaaa obama LOL

awesome race. i bet if it had been half a furlong longer, mine that bird would have taken it!