Prefab vs. Stick built?

B

baswm

I was wondering what the general thought was regarding prefabricated homes and stick built homes. I hear stick built homes are more valuable compared to prefab homes but then again, I hear prefab homes have better quality control since the panels are made in a factory out of the weather and have to be built stronger to withstand the transportation to the job site.

I am just wondering if one is thought of as much better then the other?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
When we were lookiing for houses, we talked to a prefab builder. Older prefabs are glorified trailers to me, but the new ones are much nicer. They can build anything you want. Think about it, These things are traveling down the road at 50+ mph on the back of a truck, there must be some structural integredy there.

For stick-built homes, it relies a lot on the pride the builder takes in his work. And frankly, a lot of them want to slap up houses as fast as they can.

B

baswm

My thoughts exactly. The newer ones are built much better.
Are there any companies that build custom prefabs locally?
I emailed a floor plan to valubuild " http://www.valubuild.com/" and will see how much they can do it for and compare it to cost of stick built on the lot.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by baswm
My thoughts exactly. The newer ones are built much better.
Are there any companies that build custom prefabs locally?
I emailed a floor plan to valubuild " http://www.valubuild.com/" and will see how much they can do it for and compare it to cost of stick built on the lot.

PM Watercolor. I can't believe she missed this thread. She works for a prefab place in Hughesville, which is pretty centrally located, whichever county you are in.

I think there is also a place in Indian Head, but I'm not sure.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I live in San Souci and my place is great. The walls are square and I've had no problems in the 2 years I've been there. It's built just like a "stick built", only difference it was constructed in a factory by sober carpenters.

K

Kizzy

I agree that prefabbed houses can be better constructed than a stick built houses these days. It seems like weekend warriors put these houses up. The houses are not exposed to the elements during construction. Plus, there seems to be more amenities in a prefabbed house that you would not get in a new construction.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
We looked at a lot of pre-fab houses and they were pretty good. I think they give a tremendous value for the money and many of the pre-fabs of today can't be told apart from stick-built. The cost of the pre-fab is also very attractive.

We ultimately decided on a stick-built because we had a specific house style and floor plan in mind, and couldn't find a pre-fab company that would do it.

B

baswm

I have a house plan that I like and am seeing if it can be prefabbed and for how much and then compare it to being stick built. Either way, I think it will pricey. I do not plan to build for about 3 years unless I win the lottery before hand. I am trying to see if this house plan I am looking at can be built affordable to me and if not, I will have to start looking at other plans.

B

baswm

Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)

I just received a price for Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)for my house plan delivered onto the jobsite. 87,900. delivered. That will be my shell without windows / doors/ shingles/siding. I have to take my plan to Dunkirk supply and have them make me a lumber list and price out the wood it will cost to put the shell up and from what I hear, the cost of lumber = labor to put it up as a rule of thumb.