Preferred banks? Basic checking, ATM card...

Ponytail

What are the favorites down there? Any just have outrageous erroneous charges for ATM usage, low monthly balances...

Or am I gonna hafta shop around when I get there?

TIA

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I use Cedar Point. They are the best for rates and free checking but they make errors alot. At least they have with me. They have stupid rules like you can only transfer funds from savings to checking 3 times a month by phone or internet. I had like 5K in savings and tried to transfer money to cover a check and b/c it was the 4th time, they stopped the transfer and bounced the check. You believe that?

I am considering switching myself but I haven't really looked. I am going to try Bank of America.

J

justhangn

I like the First Bank of St Mary’s.

Free checking with direct deposit and a few other ways too
$8 a month if you have a balance under $1,000 or $1,500
$5 unlimited electronic bill pay

K

Kain99

Bank of America

No ATM charges at BOA Machines (and they are everywhere)

No charge on Checking if you use Direct deposit.

On-Line Banking is Free "I think" on a basic account.

Very Professional - very curteous No mistakes.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I use the local mercantile bank (I always have this thing for local) the only fee I ever pay is if I use my check card at a "foreign" atm to withdraw money. and that's usually because the other bank is charging the fee! Go figure.

SxyPrincess

Do not go with Bank of America. I've been with them for several years and my account is always hosed. They've deducted more than several hundred dollars out of my account for no reason more than once. It ends up taking months to clear up, and I've never recieved an apology. :rolleyes:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aren't you moving to Calvert?

We've used Calvert Bank & Trust since moving to PF 14 years ago. They have branches from Solomons to Chesapeake Beach. We've never had a problem.

They have several types of checking accounts (like most banks) and the fees depend on the type of account.

But, they are a local bank and you then have an extra fee when using the ATM.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I don't know your status, but if you're civil service join Navy Federal Credit Union. Can't be beat. Free checking, $5 minimum balance, will beat anybody else's rates on loans, etc...If you use other ATMs it costs $1 though.

Jameo

What?!
Re: aren't you moving to Calvert?

Originally posted by cattitude
We've used Calvert Bank & Trust since moving to PF 14 years ago. They have branches from Solomons to Chesapeake Beach. We've never had a problem.

They have several types of checking accounts (like most banks) and the fees depend on the type of account.

But, they are a local bank and you then have an extra fee when using the ATM.

:yeahthat:

:patriot:

SxyPrincess

ST,

My advice is to choose a bank that has locations everywhere. I travel often and it wouldn't do me any good to have a "community" bank in another state. Just my thoughts...:bubble:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I guess it depends on how you use your bank. I use my check card more when I travel, and rarely use cash. So it works out fine. And when it's company travel I use their card. I have checks to write but I am the check card queen and use that sucker for everything and so far it has been accepted everywhere.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by jeneisen
I am considering switching myself but I haven't really looked. I am going to try Bank of America.

I love them. They're everywhere and super convenient. I have the cheapest account and process all of my transactions online or through the ATM (even deposits). Love it!!!! I used to use Cedar Point, but it became a hassle so I left them.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
ST,

My advice is to choose a bank that has locations everywhere. I travel often and it wouldn't do me any good to have a "community" bank in another state. Just my thoughts...:bubble:

ST? Don't you mean PT?? :biggrin:

I've had bank of america for about 4 years now and never a problem. Free checks, no ATM fees, never any kinds of mixups. We use the checkcard for almost everything and nothing has ever come up as wrong. And I like the fact that you can travel to many places and find bank of america branches and ATMs.