Preferred banks? Basic checking, ATM card...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I like the Mercantile banks. They are local banks that are part of a larger network so you can use any of the Mercantile banks and their ATM's w/o paying. But at the same time, have the hometown customer service you'd expect in a local bank. In SoMd they include Calvert Bank, 1st National Bank of St. Mary's and Bank of Southern Maryland (in Charles). But they have banks in the network in every part of the state and I think into So. Pennsylvania. I used them in Western Md and in Baltimore, when I lived there and have been very happy.

Angel

~*~*~
i like bank of america. i was with cedar point for awhile, but decided i wanted a bank that was available to me out of state. still not my best choice because bank of america only has 3 atms in maine, but they have great online services.

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Suntrust seems to be gaining in the polls, I'm with 1st National of ST. Mary's they are "family" like, but as posted already only have local branches....and beware of the money orders $6.00 each! I think you'll be okay with whom ever you pick, all have pro's and con's.

alex

Bank of America only just started offering free checking with direct deposit. I would be wary of that offer since they may recind it at any time and then you are stuck. That is what happened to me. I was with Maryland National Bank - free checking with dd and then they were bought out by Nationsbank who honored that offer and then they were merged with Bank of America and stopped the free checking with DD.

I am with the State Employees Credit Union. They only have one ATM down here, in Callaway of all places! But that is okay since I get free checking, free checks and free online banking it works out just fine for me. They also offer a VISA check card but I don't have or want one.

1st National Bank of St. Mary's is nice. We have a small emergency savings account there. But their checking fees were off the wall when we started looking around.

However for money orders you can't be the USPS they are under $1.

Angel

~*~*~
well another thing i love about bank of america is with the visa check card you have the option to have your picture on the card. i am a firm believer in that security feature! i'm sure other banks give you that option too though. just some more food for thought. :smile:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Angel
well another thing i love about bank of america is with the visa check card you have the option to have your picture on the card. i am a firm believer in that security feature!
I had two Visa check cards, both with my picture on it. I gave one to an ex for "emergencies" and I kept one for everyday use. Let's just say, he used his more than I used mine, and he NEVER had a problem and was never turned down. So much for "security." :rolleyes:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have been using Cedar Point Federal Credit Union (www.cpfcu.com) for about three years now and they have been great. They offer free checking, automatic overdraft protection, and great rates. I have their Visa check card and it is SO convenient and easy to use. There are no checks to write, it is accepted just like a credit card, and has PIN password protection.

I had been with Maryland Bank & Trust for almost 20 years, but after a fiasco involving them during a trip to Disney World and their attitude towards their customers, I said buh-bye to their snotty attitude and poor customer service.

Ponytail

Cedar Point looks good, and they have one on base. Free checking, the rates are usually better for savings and loans than banks. Perfect!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
There are also several ATM locations on base, too. Since I work on base, it's very convenient. My only caution is that they don't send your cleared checks back to you, so get duplicate checks.

Ponytail

I don't get my cleared checks now. I'm ok with that. Anytime that I have needed them in the past, they've been able to get them for me, or at least the details...who/when/where it was cashed, or stopped.

SmallTown

Football season!
the other cool thing about bank of america is that when you view the account online, you can actually view checks that have cleared (scanned in I assume?)

dum_blonde

I've been with Bank of America for most of my short life, and the only problem I ever had with them was when I left for college. There's no Banks of America in New York (what a misleading name), but they assured me there were ATMs here that I could deposit into. It turns out that none of the NYC BoA ATMs accept deposits, and they're all in the box offices of Loew's Theatres.

Not that I'm above sneaking in and out of the box office if I can save $4 in foreign ATM fees...