Prince Charles to wed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love Princess Diana - she was a wonderful humanitarian. But she was obviously not cut out for royal life.

Charles gets a bad rap - he's very involved in humanitarian activities as well, but he never got the publicity that Diana did. Let him marry Camillia - I'm surprised it took him this long. But he should have to relinquish his place in the throne line. "King" is only a figurehead anyway, with no real powers of legislation. Let Wills take over for the Queen when she decides to step down.

B

Bruzilla

vraiblonde said:
I love Princess Diana - she was a wonderful humanitarian. But she was obviously not cut out for royal life.

You might want to take off the Diana-colored glasses and start delving into the history books a bit. She was not only cut out for Royal life, she was custom fitted for it all her life! She was raised from day one to be some big-wig's wife, it was just a question of who she would end up with. She married Charles not out of love but out of station. As is frequently attributed to Sir Winston Churchill, "We've already determined what you are, now we're just settling on a price."

Also, she showed no proclivities for humanitarian efforts until her marriage started to crumble and she started looking bad to the press. Immediately after the marriage, when she would go to hospitals to meet sick children, she looked as comfortable being in those wards as Richard Nixon did. She needed to stay visible in the press, and win over hearts and minds, to retain her popularity, and her humanitarian efforts were a way to do that. Altruistic she was not.

I must admit that I have a personal bias. I met Prince Charles and his bride to be at an airshow at HMS Heron in 1982. It was right after the Falklands War, and there were a lot of Brits out to congratulate their troops. Charles came onto our P-3 and joked around with us while we showed him our gear, and we had a great visit. Diana, on the other hand, wouldn't go on any planes and stayed away from most everybody except for her bodyguards. That was no big deal for us, being Americans, but you would think she could have gone and talked to the British personnel there.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Steve said:
A few weeks ago, C and I compared Harry's picture with a picture of Barry Mannakee, her bodyguard in the mid-80's. Harry was born September 1984. Take a look and see if you think he's the father. Charles is there for comparison. I think Mannakee was also a red head, BTW. Can someone confirm that?
I always thought he looked just like Charles.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Paris Hilton thinks Harry is "hot" and her parents were offering to fly him over in a private jet for Paris's birthday party. That should make for some scary video.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Steve said:
A few weeks ago, C and I compared Harry's picture with a picture of Barry Mannakee, her bodyguard in the mid-80's. Harry was born September 1984. Take a look and see if you think he's the father. Charles is there for comparison. I think Mannakee was also a red head, BTW. Can someone confirm that?
Wrong lover. :lol: Harry has always been thought to be fathered by James Hewitt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2273498.stm

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
You might want to take off the Diana-colored glasses and start delving into the history books a bit. She was not only cut out for Royal life, she was custom fitted for it all her life! She was raised from day one to be some big-wig's wife, it was just a question of who she would end up with. She married Charles not out of love but out of station. As is frequently attributed to Sir Winston Churchill, "We've already determined what you are, now we're just settling on a price."
Could you BE any more of a sexist pig???

Why do you think Charles married her? Do you think HE was some madly smitten romantic who worshiped the ground she walked on? He married her not out of love, but because she fit the suit. So if we've determined what SHE is, what does that make him?

And Diana had been doing work with AIDS organizations and lending her name and time to other causes long before the marriage started to crumble. She is widely hailed for her humanitarian efforts.

Take off your Charles-colored glasses. :razz: