Prison Nation

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"After three decades of explosive growth, the nation’s prison population has reached some grim milestones: More than 1 in 100 American adults are behind bars. One in nine black men, ages 20 to 34, are serving time, as are 1 in 36 adult Hispanic men.

Nationwide, the prison population hovers at almost 1.6 million, which surpasses all other countries for which there are reliable figures. The 50 states last year spent about $44 billion in tax dollars on corrections, up from nearly $11 billion in 1987. Vermont, Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan and Oregon devote as much money or more to corrections as they do to higher education.

These statistics, contained in a new report from the Pew Center on the States, point to a terrible waste of money and lives. They underscore the urgent challenge facing the federal government and cash-strapped states to reduce their overreliance on incarceration without sacrificing public safety.

The key, as some states are learning, is getting smarter about distinguishing between violent criminals and dangerous repeat offenders, who need a prison cell, and low-risk offenders, who can be handled with effective community supervision, electronic monitoring and mandatory drug treatment programs, combined in some cases with shorter sentences."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/opinion/10mon1.html?hp

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican

Attachments

• Anti_trolls.jpg
    Anti_trolls.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 53

This_person

These statistics, contained in a new report from the Pew Center on the States, point to a terrible waste of money and lives.
Couldn't agree more. These criminals are wasting my money, and their lives. Since they're going to waste them anyway, perhaps lowering the death penalty to "three strikes and you're out" would be more worthwhile?

lil_mama

Mental Health

Couldn't agree more. These criminals are wasting my money, and their lives. Since they're going to waste them anyway, perhaps lowering the death penalty to "three strikes and you're out" would be more worthwhile?

There is also an alarming number of persons incarcerated that have been diagnosed with a mental illness. I don't believe a prison is the best place for those persons.

Perhaps, moving them to a hospital or finding alternative punishments for them would ease prison crowding.

Data on Individuals with Mental Illnesses in Jail and Prison

This_person

There is also an alarming number of persons incarcerated that have been diagnosed with a mental illness. I don't believe a prison is the best place for those persons.

Perhaps, moving them to a hospital or finding alternative punishments for them would ease prison crowding.

Data on Individuals with Mental Illnesses in Jail and Prison
I agree that to let yourself sink to the level of performing actions that are clearly criminal, one must have some sort of mental disorder. Perhaps they do need psychiatric help. For non-violent offenders, perhaps the best sentence is therapy (at the offender's expense) with followup reports (at the offender's expense) to the courts before allowing someone to be off of a probationary status.

For repeat violent criminals, permanent removal from society may be the best answer.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Maybe if they didn't have heat/AC, cable TV, internet access or well equipped gyms they might not want to stay there.

ylexot

Super Genius
Maybe if they didn't have heat/AC, cable TV, internet access or well equipped gyms they might not want to stay there.

:yeahthat: Wouldn't cost as much either. Make them work on chain gangs and get some cost savings from them that way too.