professional etiquette

Thank you note?

• Yes, do it.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • No, why bother?

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

bohman

The situation: I recieved a pay raise at work recently. :yay: Had a good discussion with the owners about my responsibilities, and the decision was made to up my rate.

The question: I think that it would be appropriate for me to send them a short note of thanks/appreciation for that decision. Others have disagreed w/ me, and said that isn't necessary or expected.

I know that there are lots of folks here in similar positions, ie., supporting the DoD at Pax. What do you think? Letter, or no letter? I'm young, and this is the longest I've ever been at one position. Never had a chance to ask for a raise before, so I'm at a loss as to the appropriate action (if any).

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
bohman said:
The situation: I recieved a pay raise at work recently. :yay: Had a good discussion with the owners about my responsibilities, and the decision was made to up my rate.

The question: I think that it would be appropriate for me to send them a short note of thanks/appreciation for that decision. Others have disagreed w/ me, and said that isn't necessary or expected.

I know that there are lots of folks here in similar positions, ie., supporting the DoD at Pax. What do you think? Letter, or no letter? I'm young, and this is the longest I've ever been at one position. Never had a chance to ask for a raise before, so I'm at a loss as to the appropriate action (if any).
Tell you the truth, you should buy a damn keg. Forget the letter.

Mikeinsmd

How would you feel if you were in their shoes? Do what you feel inside. It's not necessary but it is a nice thing to do. You can show appreciation with job performance.

Or you can buy a keg & invite us. :yay:

Mikeinsmd said:
How would you feel if you were in their shoes? Do what you feel inside. It's not necessary but it is a nice thing to do. You can show appreciation with job performance.
Or you can buy a keg & invite us. :yay:
Aaaaaw Mikeys got a soft side :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Chasey_Lane said:
You can never go wrong thanking someone for showing you their appreciation! :yay:
I agree. I don't see how it can hurt you to send a note, and they're probably so used to dealing with people who expect a pay raise that it could be a breath of fresh air to deal with someone who is appreciative, and hopefully they'll remember that in the future. :shrug:

PrepH4U

I like the point that you are even thinking of showing your appreciation. I would say write a little note card expressing your thanks for the review and payraise. They will never forget it!

PrepH4U

Nickel said:
I agree. I don't see how it can hurt you to send a note, and they're probably so used to dealing with people who expect a pay raise that it could be a breath of fresh air to deal with someone who is appreciative, and hopefully they'll remember that in the future. :shrug:
:yay: I know I would remember it!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
They usually call that a kiss on the ass, or a Brown noser.

bohman

DoWhat said:
Tell you the truth, you should buy a damn keg. Forget the letter.

Almost. I'm not gonna buy a keg to celebrate a raise - when I finally get the credit balances zeroed out, then I will get a keg. Or two. :alkies:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
In this age of impersonality, I would think a nice hand-written thank you note would be appreciated and would be something I would do. I say go for it. :yay:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
jazz lady said:
In this age of impersonality, I would think a nice hand-written thank you note would be appreciated and would be something I would do. I say go for it. :yay:
A note of thanks/appreciation is always nice. I even sent a note after one of my interviews that I thought I had blown, thanking them for the interview and their interest in me and I got the job! Not saying the note had anything to do with it, but they did remember me, then.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I voted with the majority - send the note. It's a nice touch and I'm impressed that you thought of it :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:
Others have disagreed w/ me, and said that isn't necessary or expected.

That would be the biggest reason TO do it .. it's unexpected. Seperate yourself from the crowd, makes you stand out.

but would agree with the Keg.. what time should we show up??

Ponytail

Definitely send it. Keep it simple, short and to the point. No need to make 'em feel like you are in there azzes up to your ears. All you want is some slight azz to nose contact. :yay: