Progressives are ALWAYS Playing Pedantic Word Games

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Biden HHS Secretary Attempts to ERASE a Federal Abortion Law He Doesn't Like

Is the Biden administration attempting to unilaterally erase federal law? On Wednesday, Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra denied the existence of the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003, a law that bans the brutal procedure of intact dilation and extraction abortions. He explicitly said, “There is no law that deals specifically with the term ‘partial-birth abortion.'” He suggested that Roe v. Wade (1973) would allow such a practice.

That is a grotesque lie and it appears to be an attempt to erase history and the plain text of American law.

In 2003, Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. In 2007, the Supreme Court upheld the law in Gonzales v. Carhart. Yet Becerra suggested the law simply does not exist. Perhaps he is still bitter that it passed despite the fact that Becerra himself voted against it.

Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-Fla.) pressed Becerra on the law in a hearing on Wednesday.

Referring to Becerra’s confirmation hearing, Bilirakis noted that Becerra said “that when it comes to laws related to abortion, ‘My job will be to make sure that I’m following the law.’ Do you agree that partial-birth abortion is illegal, sir?”

“As I said in response to some of those questions during my confirmation hearing, we will continue to make sure we follow the law,” the secretary began. “Again, with due respect, there is no medical term like ‘partial-birth abortion,’ so I would probably have to ask you what you mean by that to describe what is allowed by the law. Roe v. Wade is very clear. It’s settled precedent. A woman has a right to make decisions about her reproductive health, and we will make sure that we enforce the law and those rights.”