Prop for outboard motor

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I can't find any identifying marks on my prop! Does anybody have a way to figure out what pitch a prop is?

I can't find any identifying marks on my prop! Does anybody have a way to figure out what pitch a prop is?

If it's off the boat you could place one blade on the ground and as you turn it one rotation move it forward as if it was slicing through the water. Sand would be best. Distance traveled once you get back to the blade you started with would be the pitch.
No very scientific, huh? I'm ure there must be other ways. Compare it to some at West Marine? Already trying for more speed huh?

:smack: I know that. I also know where it's usually found! :lol:

But my prop doesn't have any markings. :shrug:

Just foolin'

Well I can't find anything. If you're looking to buy a new one, I'd just take the old one with you. Let the store guys help out. Relaible Marine was trying to sell me a barely used stainless one once and offered to let me try it out before buying. Maybe they'd do the same for you. I used to have three on board. One for speed, one for skiing and one that came with the boat which looked too small to be any good except as a spare.

:smack: I know that. I also know where it's usually found! :lol:

But my prop doesn't have any markings. :shrug:

Assuming it's OEM, goto the manufacturer's web site and see if the original specs are there.

also, any reputable dealer in the area should be able to look it up and tell you what was original.

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Buttheads... :lmao:

The motor is a 1999 4-stroke Evinrude 70. I've now seen three different props listed as "OEM"

I don't need to replace it, but I'm curious what I have. Just a "nice to know" for future reference.

Ken, thanks I'll give that a shot.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Tuning forks and a hammer.

Hit the prop with a hammer, and bang the tuning fork against your head.. change tuning forks until both sounds match... you have your pitch.

4 stroke, 70 HP. I'm guessing a C#

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Tuning forks and a hammer.

Hit the prop with a hammer, and bang the tuning fork against your head.. change tuning forks until both sounds match... you have your pitch.

4 stroke, 70 HP. I'm guessing a C#

That didn't work and I wouldn't recommend anybody else try it either. I didn't realize boating was so PAINFULL!

:lol:

I know pat. All he'll do is pull the prop and look on the inside of the hub.

:lol: Didn't know that!

That boy is off the hook :killingme - he is my good friends BIL. The past 2 Christmas parties we got hammered azz drunk in his kitchen (my buddies) - the Christmas party ended at 10, the real party in the kitchen ended at 2am! :lol:

LordStanley

I know nothing
:lol: Didn't know that!

That boy is off the hook :killingme - he is my good friends BIL. The past 2 Christmas parties we got hammered azz drunk in his kitchen (my buddies) - the Christmas party ended at 10, the real party in the kitchen ended at 2am! :lol:

Yes he is... which makes him the perfect race boat driver!!! :lmao:

He has done work on all my friends boats, including mine.

The engines he builds are monsters!!!