PS3 HDMI connection issue

Ponytail

I have an older Toshiba HD Projection TV with (1) VGA connector and a boatload of COmponent and RCA connectors. Components didn't give as good a picture as we hoped when using the PS3.

So I got a DVI splitter and a HDMI/VGA plug that I was using with the Satellite dish.

I got it all connected, and get great picture and sound from the Satellite, but when the PS3 is powered up, picture is awesome, but I get no sound from the PS3.

The Video connection is run through the HDMI Splitter, and the sound is run through an RCA splitter for both the Satellite and PS3. I even tried connecting the PS3 audio directly to the Audio input on the TV, and still no joy.

Any suggestions?

One more note....I do not have a Surround Sound/Theater sound system. I used to, but boxed it up when I got the TV. Sound from the TV was better, and now I don't have room for a Surround Sound system.

Ponytail

PS3™ | Audio Output Settings

Seen this? does your TV have an optical audio port?

I had not seen that. I did go through and try to change the Audio settings on the PS3, but didn't see, or find that point that the website shows. I'll try again tonight though, now that I know what I'm looking for.

I do not have an optical input on the TV. Digital or COAX only. Was thinking about picking up an optical/digital converter and trying that.

Thanks!

Chris0nllyn

You should be able to go through the PS3 option menu and set the video out to HDMI, and audio out to Analog RCA (Red/White). Just like you have it set up. Have you tried getting rid of the RCA splitter for audio? Why do you need it? One one set of analog audio inputs?

Ponytail

You should be able to go through the PS3 option menu and set the video out to HDMI, and audio out to Analog RCA (Red/White). Just like you have it set up. Have you tried getting rid of the RCA splitter for audio? Why do you need it? One one set of analog audio inputs?

To use the HDMI splitter, I have to split the Audio also. I can't have a video input on a separate channel from the audio input on the TV.

I did try connecting the PS3 directly to the TV, and I still don't get any audio. Its' got to be in the settings on the PS3. I'll try that again tonight.

Chris0nllyn

Gotcha, Definately go into the audio setting in the PS3 then. Set it up for analog audio (red/white RCA) and you should be good to go.

In the future, if you ever hook up surround sound, be sure to hook the PS3 up digitally(optical audio). It makes a HUGE difference in audio quality being in surround sound. (Plus you can hear the footsteps of other players sneaking up on you if you play Modern Warfare)

glhs837

Power with Control
Or just use HDMI right through. My system has three HDMI cables, love it. One each from PS3 and cable box to receiver, one HMDI out from there to TV.

glhs837

Power with Control
Gotcha, Definately go into the audio setting in the PS3 then. Set it up for analog audio (red/white RCA) and you should be good to go.

In the future, if you ever hook up surround sound, be sure to hook the PS3 up digitally(optical audio). It makes a HUGE difference in audio quality being in surround sound. (Plus you can hear the footsteps of other players sneaking up on you if you play Modern Warfare)

Or just use HDMI right through. My system has three HDMI cables, love it. One each from PS3 and cable box to receiver, one HMDI out from there to TV.

I was talking in the future:)

Nupe2

I have an older Toshiba HD Projection TV with (1) VGA connector and a boatload of COmponent and RCA connectors. Components didn't give as good a picture as we hoped when using the PS3.

So I got a DVI splitter and a HDMI/VGA plug that I was using with the Satellite dish.

I got it all connected, and get great picture and sound from the Satellite, but when the PS3 is powered up, picture is awesome, but I get no sound from the PS3.

The Video connection is run through the HDMI Splitter, and the sound is run through an RCA splitter for both the Satellite and PS3. I even tried connecting the PS3 audio directly to the Audio input on the TV, and still no joy.

Any suggestions?

One more note....I do not have a Surround Sound/Theater sound system. I used to, but boxed it up when I got the TV. Sound from the TV was better, and now I don't have room for a Surround Sound system.

Hey PT! Long time man! How are things in Philly? :buddies: