Puppy "experts" are so full of sh*t

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Don't cuddle or hug your puppy because dogs hate that."
Apollo was extremely huggy and cuddly and so is Gretel. Both often initiate(d) the cuddle. Gretel is a love bug with everyone.

"Don't punish bad behavior, only reward when they (finally) do something you want."
This is such bullshit. Dogs understand when they've done something wrong, and how you know is they don't ever do it in front of you, they wait until you're gone or not looking. It makes more sense to let them know that peeing on the floor or chewing the lamp cord is unacceptable with a firm "NO!" and redirect.

Pretty much ALL of the so-called experts say, and this is from a puppy training newsletter that I'm getting ready to unsubscribe from:

Gone are the days of commands. We no longer need commands because with today’s positive reinforcement training we work WITH your puppy and strengthen the behaviors we want rather than correcting the behaviors we don’t want.

When you want your dog to sit or stay or leave it, you're issuing a command. If you sit around waiting for them to do it on their own so you can reward them, you're going to be waiting a loooooong time, especially with "leave it".

"Your dog wants to do (this behavior)..." Really? Because my dog never acts like they want to do that, and in fact does the exact opposite as often as I'll let her. "Never let your puppy sleep in bed with you..." Sadists. "Ignore the behavior and don't respond to it...." OMG, seriously??? How's she supposed to know I don't want her to do that if I don't tell her? "Don't stare in your dog's eyes because they take it as a threat...." Apollo and I used to gaze into each others eyes all the time, and Gretel likes being nose to nose too.

They remind me of all those child raising books that used to drive me crazy after my son was born. "Oh, your baby will do this...." No, my baby never did that one time. "Oh, do this and your toddler will respond with thusandsuch...." Yeah, my toddler never responded that way. "Don't rock your baby because it makes them spoiled..." What the hell's the point of having a baby if you can't lovie and rockle it? That's probably why the kids of GenXers grew up to be such basket cases - because their parents listened to all the "experts" and never rocked and snuggled them.

It's enough to drive a person crazy.

And it's not just one quack, it's all of them. A conspiracy. Like one nutter became the authority with their crazy counterintuitive crackpot ideas, and the rest fell in line to form a united front against the new parent or puppy owner.

:banghead: