Pyscho Area Code Dialing

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
I need to vent a moment...

I HATE the fact that I have to dial 301, when I am calling a 301 number. Doesn't that aggravate anyone? I've lived all over this country AND world. But this is the only place I lived where we have to dial the area code WHEN you are already in the area code. That suks!

Of course, you'll have your die-hard Verizon fans and the locals that don't know any better supporting this... but I say it is pure abuse! Phone dialing ABUSE! STOP :cds: the area code dialing phone companies! And move to the 21st Century!

Last edited:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I remember when you only had to dial the last 5 digits of a number in Solomons to reach another number in Solomons. I think we were one of the last little towns to get away from that.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I need to vent a moment...
I HATE the fact that I have to dial 301, when I am calling a 301 number. Doesn't that aggravate anyone? I've lived all over this country AND world. But this is the only place I lived where we have to dial the area code WHEN you are already in the area code. That suks!

Of course, you'll have your die-hard Verizon fans and the locals that don't know any better supporting this... but I say it is pure abuse! Phone dialing ABUSE! STOP :cds: the area code dialing phone companies! And move to the 21st Century!
As a 30 year former Verizon employee, I have to say that we all feel that way but griping isn't going to change it.
There are only 10,000 numbers for every "exchange" (the 3 numbers after the area code): 0000-9999
When they all are used up, you need another exchange. Then you eventually need another area code. Another reason is so that all other states can use the same exchange. It's only difference is the area code again. You can have the same exchange in Md, DC & VA which then makes the area code necessary.
This is why Maryland has 3 or 4 now. Also because cell phones, fax numbers, pagers, etc., have used up all the phone numbers.
If you don't like dialing numbers, use voice recognition dialing. :doh:

Last edited:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I remember when you only had to dial the last 5 digits of a number in Solomons to reach another number in Solomons. I think we were one of the last little towns to get away from that.
You mean you didn't have to pick up the handset and ask Sarah to connect you??? :lmao:
You were on a Centrex system back then. All 5 of the residents of Solomons were grouped together so an area code and an exchange wasn't needed.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
You remember Sarah !!!!
I remember Sarah. And Andy and Aunt Bee cranking that phone...
I remember having only 2 phones in our entire house (one in the master bedroom and one in the kitchen), both were the black rotary dial types.
I remember when operators were ONLY women.
I remember, after all that slow dialing of the 7 digits, I would get that loud busy signal and would have to dial them all over again!
I remember when phone numbers were identified by a name for the first 2 numbers of it. REdwood 5-4000 meant that the first 2 numbers were 7 & 3.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I HATE the fact that I have to dial 301, when I am calling a 301 number.
I remember when the 410 was created and thinking how annoying that would be to dial the extra numbers.

I now live in a state with one area code, which can shave valuable seconds off dialing.

I remember having only 2 phones... both were the black rotary dial types.
I remember those too. :lol: Nothing special, nothing fancy, pure function.

I also remember taking one to pieces one day. My mom nearly popped my tiny head. :lol: I wanted to see how it worked, and it wasn't being used, so...

T

toppick08

:buddies:.I remember that here in town too....

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
As a 30 year former Verizon employee, I have to say that we all feel that way but griping isn't going to change it.
There are only 10,000 numbers for every "exchange" (the 3 numbers after the area code): 0000-9999
When they all are used up, you need another exchange. Then you eventually need another area code. Another reason is so that all other states can use the same exchange. It's only difference is the area code again. You can have the same exchange in Md, DC & VA which then makes the area code necessary.
This is why Maryland has 3 or 4 now. Also because cell phones, fax numbers, pagers, etc., have used up all the phone numbers.
If you don't like dialing numbers, use voice recognition dialing. :doh:

Apparently you didn't understand my blurb. And perhaps you worked for Verizon, but that doesn't mean every Verizon employees know how all the systems work. No one else uses the area codes 301 or 240. They are southern MD only. :shrug:

Area codes 240 and 301 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I moved here from Cleveland and most Cleveland residents use area code 216. Guess what? You don't have to dial 216 if you're calling in the 216 area code. A few years before that I lived in Indianapolis. Same thing. If you were in the 317 calling area, you didn't have to dial 317. I am from central PA and they use 570 and same thing, you call a 570 within 570, don't have to dial 570! How remarkable, huh? :tantrum

As I said in my first post, I'll complain but it won't do much good; but maybe someone (with knowledge of the system and authority) might hear me! No one else uses 301, let's stop the dial abuse and if I am calling a 301 in a 301 area code, eliminate it!

Voice recognition? You STILL have to say 301! Dumb Verizon system!

I kinda laugh at new workers that have just moved here and they try to call someone or something off base... They give the same response as what I gave 9 years ago... you have to dial 301, but I am "in" the 301 calling area. Stupid! :doh:

T

toppick08

Bell South does what?

I think I left my mind reader device at work, sorry.
Reminds me of calling in for Chinese take out!

Me take you order...
Name?
Spell preez...

:killingme

Makes you use the area code to make a local call.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Apparently you didn't understand my blurb. And perhaps you worked for Verizon, but that doesn't mean every Verizon employees know how all the systems work. No one else uses the area codes 301 or 240. They are southern MD only. :shrug:

Area codes 240 and 301 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I moved here from Cleveland and most Cleveland residents use area code 216. Guess what? You don't have to dial 216 if you're calling in the 216 area code. A few years before that I lived in Indianapolis. Same thing. If you were in the 317 calling area, you didn't have to dial 317. I am from central PA and they use 570 and same thing, you call a 570 within 570, don't have to dial 570! How remarkable, huh? :tantrum

As I said in my first post, I'll complain but it won't do much good; but maybe someone (with knowledge of the system and authority) might hear me! No one else uses 301, let's stop the dial abuse and if I am calling a 301 in a 301 area code, eliminate it!

Voice recognition? You STILL have to say 301! Dumb Verizon system!

I kinda laugh at new workers that have just moved here and they try to call someone or something off base... They give the same response as what I gave 9 years ago... you have to dial 301, but I am "in" the 301 calling area. Stupid! :doh:
Unlike Cleveland, and most of Ohio, Maryland has 2 parent area codes(301 and 410) and those two area codes each have a child or overlay area code(240 and 443 respectively). Although I don't know of either group having the same prefix, it could be possible. Let's say 301/240 both had a prefix of 737 in Lexington Park. Your number was 301-737-1234 and you wanted to call 240-737-0987 you'd need to dial the full number. With the rapid growth of mobile and regular land lines over the last 20 years, 10-digit dialing was introduced in areas with overlay area codes to avoid confusion in the future.

Last edited:

shilo

Prior to moving to St. Mary's we bought a house in Pisgah in Charles County in 1985. For the first year or maybe two when we lived there we had to use a rotary phone. Push button wouldn't work on their system. Trying to find a rotary phone was a treat but one of my co-workers had an old one laying around. Then to top it off, you had to dial 9 to get an outside line. After going through that........well, dialing the area code didn't really bother me too much:) It was probably ten years after that we finally got cable tv on our street. It could be worse:)

Tech

The prefix thing I understand, it frees up the numbers that are used for area codes. You now can have a prefix of 410 in the 301 area. Before the use of ten digits the phone system would think that this was an area code. The explosion of phones requires this, as a kid our family of six had one number. Today we five numbers assigned.

What I can't understand is dialing a 1 when calling some numbers in 301.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
What I can't understand is dialing a 1 when calling some numbers in 301.
Even though the two numbers might have the same area code, they can be in a different local access and transport area (LATA). Also, a LATA can have multiple area codes, which doesn't require dialing a 1.