Quartz vs Granite countertops....GO!!!!!

Well, took a leap and ordered my cabinets online from Cabinets.com we'll see how it goes. I like that they are made in the US, all plywood, preassembled with all the bells and whistles like BLUM hardware for soft closing. Got a sample door which was well put together and the finish was fantastic.

Do you plan on installing the cabinets yourself?

glhs837

Power with Control
Do you have a pic of the cabinets, the floors, and the walls/backsplash? even if they're individual pics.

All the new stuff? Sort of, we have a sample of the tile we plan to use on the floor, and renderings of the kitchen cabinets. Backsplash is going to fall out of those so it's still up in the air. Pic of cabinets here. And of course, nno final review til I get the cabinets, but the free design service was great. A lot of the little pieces I might have thought of, they helped with,from the cove, the toekick, side panels for the fridge, filler panels, etc. Big slide out drawers for pots and pans, nice lazy suzans for the corners, both upper and lower.

Attachments

• Shaker II pic.jpg
    Shaker II pic.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 389

lucky_bee

RBF expert
All the new stuff? Sort of, we have a sample of the tile we plan to use on the floor, and renderings of the kitchen cabinets. Backsplash is going to fall out of those so it's still up in the air. Pic of cabinets here. And of course, nno final review til I get the cabinets, but the free design service was great. A lot of the little pieces I might have thought of, they helped with,from the cove, the toekick, side panels for the fridge, filler panels, etc. Big slide out drawers for pots and pans, nice lazy suzans for the corners, both upper and lower.

Those cabinets are gorgeous. I've always liked the simple quaker cabinets. Assuming that's a showroom kitchen pic, but your cabinets will also be white? What kind of tile for the floor? color/size? And what kind of backsplash are you leaning towards, even if you haven't decided yet? something modern glass, like in the showroom? Or a subway tile? drawer pulls would make a difference too.

and what color are the walls in your living room? I'm really good at coordinating these things :blushing: It's actually an obsession of mine. I've helped design several friends' kitchens, a few of my mother's friends' kitchens/bedrooms, and I used to dabble in the kitchen design when I worked for Home Depot. I love it :yahoo: I'm an artist too so I think of those details.

edit: or is that a thin stone backsplash? I can't tell. Now it looks like stone. Thought it was glass.

glhs837

Power with Control
Cabinets will be bright white. Tile looks to be Sanibel as seen below. Drawer pulls will be like that other pic. Living room walls are barely visible from the kitchen. Only one 32 inch door, and that view shows the wall of windows that look out in the forest.

Attachments

• Sanibel tile.jpg
    Sanibel tile.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 301
  • cabinet Pulls.jpg
    cabinet Pulls.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 258

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Cabinets will be bright white. Tile looks to be Sanibel as seen below. Drawer pulls will be like that other pic. Living room walls are barely visible from the kitchen. Only one 32 inch door, and that view shows the wall of windows that look out in the forest.

aha. if that's the floor, I'd totally go with a warm-dark brown/neutrals granite. Idk if you already said if you'd decided on quartz vs. granite and were just figuring our colors, but in this case I'd go with granite bc you're cabinets, pulls/handles and floor are very simplistic and clean. A slab of granite will give you some color, definition, and detail bc of the grain and marbling it typically has. And I'd lean towards neutrals, browns bc the tile floor is warm yet light, the cabinets are light, so you need a darker color to pull them together and balance them out. But not too, too dark in the browns. I'd think the color combo of the floors and cabinets would look a little off if the brown was too dark/almost black.

Kind of like in the pic I attached. Finer-Details1.jpg

I attached a second pic that actually has quartz for the countertop, but it's a darker brown. Still also looks awesome, just pointing out it's a nice brown, any darker and you lose the warmth in it to tie the cabinets and tile together. Bev's%20kitchen%20Remodel.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
aha. if that's the floor, I'd totally go with a warm-dark brown/neutrals granite. Idk if you already said if you'd decided on quartz vs. granite and were just figuring our colors, but in this case I'd go with granite bc you're cabinets, pulls/handles and floor are very simplistic and clean. A slab of granite will give you some color, definition, and detail bc of the grain and marbling it typically has. And I'd lean towards neutrals, browns bc the tile floor is warm yet light, the cabinets are light, so you need a darker color to pull them together and balance them out. But not too, too dark in the browns. I'd think the color combo of the floors and cabinets would look a little off if the brown was too dark/almost black.

Kind of like in the pic I attached. View attachment 108201

I attached a second pic that actually has quartz for the countertop, but it's a darker brown. Still also looks awesome, just pointing out it's a nice brown, any darker and you lose the warmth in it to tie the cabinets and tile together. View attachment 108202

Would a gray like this work, do you think? And that is quartz.

Attachments

• the-georgian-kitchen-island.jpg
    the-georgian-kitchen-island.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 464

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Would a gray like this work, do you think? And that is quartz.

:drool:

That's my dream kitchen. right down to the herringbone stove back splash and the white tulips :bawl:

SIGH. Anyways, the gray could work, but in my mind I'd see either a slightly darker or a lighter tile than you're using. Of course a pic from online can't do a tile floor's coloring justice. But the cool gray of the stone with the stark white of the cabinets calls for something slightly darker on the floor, like the wood floor in the pic, or a darker tile since you're doing tile. The tile pic you had reads to me an off-white/cream, which is technically warm, so to place that next to a stark white would need a warmer countertop. Gray is cool. When I look at pics of white kitchens with gray countertops like that ^^, the flooring is always a little darker than the cabinets (think close to a light oak or a very light gray or a tan tile...I don't mean dark as in cherry or dark gray slate necessarily).

granite.jpg

That's as close of a color scheme as I could find with white cabinets, dark gray countertops and a tile floor. The countertops and floor don't match perfectly, you want them to be several shades apart, but still in the same heat category (warm or cool). And I personally don't suggest any tile LIGHTER than the pic you had bc it's a kitchen and will immediately turn dirty anyways and you'll forever be re-doing the grout. I promise. I've seen customers come back and re-tile bc they went too light in high-traffic areas. My mother did that in our bathroom even when I warned her. It always looked slightly grungy :ohwell: they finally re-did all the grout.

I hope that makes sense, but that's just my two cents :blushing: you do you and I'm sure it'll look fabulous with those awesome cabinets!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It would make me sad to have a beige kitchen, especially with a beige/tan/cream/brown countertop.

I pick variations of white to light grey. :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
You are talking about the floor, right BG?
I am a fan of white, and especially different grey tones of the gray/white/black colors - regardless of where it is.. on the floors, on the walls, on the counters, the cabinets, etc.

I HATE yellow and orange, and my hardwood floors, while a pretty hickory wood, have a great deal of yellow and orange tones to the color, which I don't like. And my primary kitchen cabinets are that honey oak that also has a yellow/orange vibe to it. HATE it!

I LOVE the photo that was posted of the white cabinets and the grey-veined countertops. Like, I LOVE it! Really LOVE it. :yay:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I am a fan of white, and especially different grey tones of the gray/white/black colors - regardless of where it is.. on the floors, on the walls, on the counters, the cabinets, etc.

I HATE yellow and orange, and my hardwood floors, while a pretty hickory wood, have a great deal of yellow and orange tones to the color, which I don't like. And my primary kitchen cabinets are that honey oak that also has a yellow/orange vibe to it. HATE it!

I LOVE the photo that was posted of the white cabinets and the grey-veined countertops. Like, I LOVE it! Really LOVE it. :yay:

Agree 100%. I just got in the habit of suggesting countertops/flooring with browns because for whatever reason, it was always what the customers preferred :shrug: but if I were to design my kitchen from the ground up, that pic glhs posted would be exactly how I'd do it, right down to the backsplash, the flooring, and that gorgeous Wolf range.

BG if Bob ever gives you this kitchen, you think you could hire me as like, your life assistant or sous chef or something? Just so I could stand in that kitchen and bask in it's beauty :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control

First up is a full rehab of a 80s fiberglass one piece tub surround into a walk in 60 inch shower with a cast iron pan and subway tile walls, since the one piece is cracking and in danger of leaking. So the kitchen stuff has been given additional design time. Not to mention we are waiting for the cabinets to be built. and shipped.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Agree 100%. I just got in the habit of suggesting countertops/flooring with browns because for whatever reason, it was always what the customers preferred :shrug: but if I were to design my kitchen from the ground up, that pic glhs posted would be exactly how I'd do it, right down to the backsplash, the flooring, and that gorgeous Wolf range.

BG if Bob ever gives you this kitchen, you think you could hire me as like, your life assistant or sous chef or something? Just so I could stand in that kitchen and bask in it's beauty :ohwell:
Bob knows full well how much I detest my primary kitchen, so he did build me a kitchen in the basement, and that space has almost all of the elements that I want to have in my primary kitchen - when we finally get around to rehabbing/replacing it. This is actually the "spare kitchen/laundry room" - it's perfect for parties and such.
But I really do want to get together with a talented person such as yourself, ahem, to help design my new kitchen space. We're looking to re-do sometime in the next 12-14 months, as soon as we save up some money. :nomoney:

laundry room 2.jpg laundry room 1.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever allowed the option to click on a picture and get THE EXACT SAME SIZE PICTURE!!!!! :( :)

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Bob knows full well how much I detest my primary kitchen, so he did build me a kitchen in the basement, and that space has almost all of the elements that I want to have in my primary kitchen - when we finally get around to rehabbing/replacing it. This is actually the "spare kitchen/laundry room" - it's perfect for parties and such.
But I really do want to get together with a talented person such as yourself, ahem, to help design my new kitchen space. We're looking to re-do sometime in the next 12-14 months, as soon as we save up some money. :nomoney:

View attachment 108206 View attachment 108207

I like that flooring!

I love houses and designing and coordinating things in them :dance:

Looking back, I should've really made a career out of it...and who knows, perhaps one day I will get back in to it professionally. HD asked me to back in the day but I was still in college and couldn't handle working as many hours as they needed. Plus I was bad with the software :lol: I'm better at walking around a showroom saying "you should do this and that bc I said so". I helped my cousin achieve a very similar look to our Dream Kitchen...I should ask her for pictures! She gave me a budget and an idea of the look and I went with it. All her fancy-schmancy Annapolis friends are always jealous of her kitchen! And then I get mad bc she's not much of a cook :killingme

glhs837

Power with Control
When we are done, I plan to post some before and after shots. Budget is expected end up in the 15K range including flooring. And I expect to have a better kitchen with higher quality than a certain local place offered me at 35K.

acommondisaster

Having seen the cabinets, I think quartz would be best. It goes well with the simplicity of the cabinets. The granite kind of "muddies" it up. If you're going with the grey you showed, I'd definitely NOT go with that brownish/cream floor. It's nice, but it's wrong. You don't have to be matchy matchy, but with such beautiful clean lines, the great drawer pulls and the quartz, you need to stay in the same color family as the countertop. Agree that darker may be better.

View attachment 108206 View attachment 108207

My kitchen has yours beat by a mile. This is my new kitchen:

20150606_172631-001.jpg