question about dog's reaction

ebs

My dog has decided he absolutely hates this one other dog in our neighborhood. He is fine to do the meet and greet or walk along with virtually every other dog. But every time he sees this one dog, it's this huge scene - hackles raised, snarling/growling, barking. To the best of my knowledge, he has never even interacted with this dog. The closest they have been is across the street from one another. He has done basic obedience and agility, he is well-socialized, goes to day care with supervised playgroups, comes to the barn and plays with everyone there, and he interacts appropriately with people and all other dogs from yorkie-poos to Great Danes. He does tend to be more reserved - he is not an in-your-pocket dog but likes to check out new situations. He is definitely more submissive in interactions, so for him to have this reaction is really surprising. She is not threatening but she is very energetic and bouncy, which may be bothering him (though he's dealt with other energetic dogs without problems). I don't know the people at all. Do you think I should try to introduce him (safely) to this other dog so he gets over this reaction? Or just avoid this situation because his reaction to this one dog is not being repeated in any other situations? Thanks!

somdwatch

Trust your dogs instincts!

One of our previous dogs was an excellent judge of other dogs characters. She love interacting with them on her own. Never showed "attack" behavior with any dog if I, (the alpha male) was present or she was on her own. Add our kids or the wife to the mix and we would see your dogs behavior.

We went to visit relatives who owned a shepherd none of us knew. As soon as we got out of our vehicle, she placed herself (at all times) between her "pack" of kids and this dog. Until we observed the dogs behavior over the course of the next week we didn't know why. This dog was raised as the Alpha Male period. In his mind, he was superior to humans. He bit the owners kid, the owner and basically ran the house. Somehow our dog knew this as soon as she was out of the RV.

Your dog knows something about this dog that you can't fathom and she's protecting you.

PJay

I have a question...why do people think my dog wants to meet your dog and become pals? When out walking please stay away from us. She just wants to do her thing and enjoy her space.

Not attacking here. Just been experiencing this lately and it's getting on my last nerve. We just want to enjoy our outting, but lately becoming a stressful time for both of us. I prefer not having her on my head.

Rant over.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a question...why do people think my dog wants to meet your dog and become pals? When out walking please stay away from us. She just wants to do her thing and enjoy her space.

Not attacking here. Just been experiencing this lately and it's getting on my last nerve. We just want to enjoy our outting, but lately becoming a stressful time for both of us. I prefer not having her on my head.

Rant over.

Because dogs are generally social animals; it's the humans that scurry about trying not to make eye contact.

The protocol is usually that if both dogs show interest, you allow them to sniff each others' butts. If one of the dogs is indifferent, the other dog should go about his business. Apollo is interested in some dogs but not other dogs. The white fluffball that lives down the street adores Apollo and will go crazy trying to get his attention; he snubs her every time. It's not because she's a bad dog, because she is a love baby mooshball. As a general rule Apollo likes to be the spaz in the relationship and doesn't care for other spastic dogs.

I've never believed that rot that dogs are such good judges of character. Adolf Hitler had a dog who adored him. I think they have different reactions because they're animals with no rational sense to speak of. But if your dog doesn't like another dog, who cares? Why force it?

ebs

Just like I have instinctive negative reactions to some people, I know my dog surely feels the same way about some dogs. I am sure he is picking up on some energy from this dog that I just don't notice. At first I thought it was a reaction to the male owner, who is a bit strange. But he does it when the woman walks the dog too. I thought he would get better over time as he gets used to the fact that every once in a while we will see this dog in passing but we don't go near it and he doesn't have to be social. My only concern is I live in a very busy and family-friendly neighborhood and he is acting like freaking Cujo every time he sees this other dog. I know these people (and anyone watching) must think my dog is dangerous/aggressive/possibly crazed. It's not that I want to force that dog to interact with mine, I just don't know what to do. I've told the lady I'm sorry and I don't know why he acts this way around her dog. I guess that's all I can do.

ebs

Trust your dogs instincts!

One of our previous dogs was an excellent judge of other dogs characters. She love interacting with them on her own. Never showed "attack" behavior with any dog if I, (the alpha male) was present or she was on her own. Add our kids or the wife to the mix and we would see your dogs behavior.

We went to visit relatives who owned a shepherd none of us knew. As soon as we got out of our vehicle, she placed herself (at all times) between her "pack" of kids and this dog. Until we observed the dogs behavior over the course of the next week we didn't know why. This dog was raised as the Alpha Male period. In his mind, he was superior to humans. He bit the owners kid, the owner and basically ran the house. Somehow our dog knew this as soon as she was out of the RV.

Your dog knows something about this dog that you can't fathom and she's protecting you.

I think you must be right - though for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. I know this dog and mine have "mutual friends" in the neighborhood, and neither of them seem to have any problems with any other dogs (and this other dog doesn't seem to mind my dog at all, it's just my dog that is reactive!). I also think it might have to do with how submissive he typically is - I do think this is a fear reaction, not an aggressive one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've told the lady I'm sorry and I don't know why he acts this way around her dog. I guess that's all I can do.

That's it. :shrug: Dogs are like children: they do incomprehensible things and occasionally embarrass us. Just part of the deal. It makes me feel bad when Apollo snubs the neighbor mooshball, so I play with her and give her some lovey to make up for his rudeness. It's like a joke now: Rosie's unrequited love for Apollo.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
it could be how your dog reads the other dog.... so the other dog could be giving off a certain look and in k9 behavior he can take it as a threat.

when he does start to act like that... redirect his focus in a positive way and keep moving.