Question about Local Schools

sockgirl77

Are you high? :otter: Look at Greatschools.com and check out not only test scores only--but the number of kids qualifying for reduced or free lunch. High percentage=ghetto!

I find it VERY hard to believe that St. Mary's County schools have a higher rate of kids qualifying for reduced and/or free lunch. However, Charles County schools' academics are well more advanced.

I find it VERY hard to believe that St. Mary's County schools have a higher rate of kids qualifying for reduced and/or free lunch. However, Charles County schools' academics are well more advanced.

When it comes to academics, Charles County schools are def well more advanced. I went to LaPlata High School. When i was there 4 years ago, it was a really great school... not sure how it is now being as Mr. Cook is no longer principal but... it was goood then. lol. He kept everyones asses in order for the most part

smilin

BOXER NATION
My two boys went to Esperanza and one is at Great Mills.
Esperanza was a great experience. Wonderful principal and teachers.
I keep asking about all the horrible things that happen at Great Mills and have come away with one thing:
It's what you put into it that counts:
My boy at Great Mills is going to a robot competition in VA. tomorrow, takes advanced courses and plays sports. He likes the school and has had no problems.
The Great Mills staff and teachers also trying very hard to improve and update their school and facilities. A lot of the opinions you will find are dated back to when they had a poor principal who apparently didn't do avery good job.

DallasRed

Maybe you are looking into the area due to your employment. But you might want to think about moving a little farther and commuting. Calvert County, MD has the best schools (Public). And the commute is not that far from Charles or St. Mary's.

Can you name some towns that are in that county? And how much of a commute are you talking about?

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I would say that if you are interested in good schools in the 3 SoMD counties--the schools/neighborhoods in these areas are best:

Charles County--La Plata

Calvert--Dunkirk or Huntingtown

St. Mary's--Leonardtown

Stop yelling these are opinions.....

rockfish

Can you name some towns that are in that county? And how much of a commute are you talking about?

Lusby
Solomons
St. Leonard
Prince Frederick

I work in St. Mary's county, but we chose to live in Calvert county, primarily because of the schools and have no regrets. Been here 13 years now with one child in Elementary School and the other in High School, both are on honor roll.

crabluver

Thank you forumites for sending the answers abouut Calvert. I just read the post. And especially to the one who listed the website! I hope the person looking into transferring here in Southern MD REALLY takes a good look into our school system. This is why I chose to move. Commuting is not that bad considering what we want for our children. And once the person inquiring sees that it is not that far of a commute between any of the 3 counties; will be a good choice to chooose Calvert.

stars24

If you're not familiar with the area... someone should mention that your commute from Calvert to St. Mary's would include a huge bridge. It's one lane on each side, frequently gets backed up during rush hours and has accidents semi-frequently.... and there's not really an alternative that's close enough to use in these cases. Calvert Co. has some nice areas, but you should know about these things...

I wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kids to any St. Mary's or Calvert Co. Schools. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.

angelbaby

Maybe you are looking into the area due to your employment. But you might want to think about moving a little farther and commuting. Calvert County, MD has the best schools (Public). And the commute is not that far from Charles or St. Mary's.

:yeahthat: :yay:

DallasRed

If you're not familiar with the area... someone should mention that your commute from Calvert to St. Mary's would include a huge bridge. It's one lane on each side, frequently gets backed up during rush hours and has accidents semi-frequently.... and there's not really an alternative that's close enough to use in these cases. Calvert Co. has some nice areas, but you should know about these things...

I wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kids to any St. Mary's or Calvert Co. Schools. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.

Thanks for the tip..A two lane bridge..That would drive my CITY husband nuts!!! Leornard Town High School it is!!

angelbaby

Thanks for the tip..A two lane bridge..That would drive my CITY husband nuts!!! Leornard Town High School it is!!

:lol: Yeah the bridge does make it a pain sometimes but my kid's education is worth it. Dallas, I see it like this. No matter what school you pick it's all in what you make it. If your child wants to do well they will. As long as you as a parent are an active part of your childs education they will succeed. You can't put blame on a school when you as a parent don't do your part. Good luck with your search! :buddies:

catlingirl

If you lived in Prince Frederick or north or even a little south there's a bridge thats a lot smaller than the one mentioned above and it goes into St mary's with no problem usually. Its called the Benedict Bridge

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
So what you're saying is your children's education comes second to your husband's commute? :confused:

I'd like to see what data you all base your call that Calvert Schools are so much better than Saint Mary's. Or is this just an opinion thing?

And let's face it the Solomon's bridge sucks and the Benedict bridge is just another two lane bridge on what a 10 mile road, which makes it an even bigger joke.

Not to mention you've got the nightmare nuke plant, the liquified natural gas terminal, and that nasty coal power plant in Benedict fouling up the air.

No thanks, we'll take Saint Mary's, and you can have all that crap.

:whistle:

Ruthless Babe

scroll down to high schools and click on assessments.
St. Mary's:
2008 Maryland Report Card: Saint Mary's County
Calvert:
2008 Maryland Report Card: Calvert County
And here's the percentage of students meeting the requirements of the High School Assessment test. Beginning with the 2009 graduating class,
students must pass or receive a combined minimum score on the four HSAs to graduate. The tests are given in English 10, Algebra/Data Analysis, Biology and Government.
HSA test results data -- baltimoresun.com

hotcoffee

I'd like to see what data you all base your call that Calvert Schools are so much better than Saint Mary's. Or is this just an opinion thing?

And let's face it the Solomon's bridge sucks and the Benedict bridge is just another two lane bridge on what a 10 mile road, which makes it an even bigger joke.

Not to mention you've got the nightmare nuke plant, the liquified natural gas terminal, and that nasty coal power plant in Benedict fouling up the air.

Part of St. Mary's is in the hazardous zone for the nuke plant... I figured you would know that....

The gas plant supplies some of St. Mary's County too.... I also figured you would know that....

Our schools are better because we put the money in the budget to hire better teachers.... and they know how to teach to the test...

Calvert has a higher cost of living tho...

The commute across the TJ is not so bad most of the time... I only got stuck on it a few times in 10 years...

Calvert and Montgomery Counties battle for first place in the quality of education question.... and the traffic is much worse in Montgomery County...

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

Oh, PLEASE! Move to Calvert so I can have you as a neighbor! Please! Please! I beg you. lol.

I've always heard that Calvert Schools are third, only to Howard and Montgomery. I don't know where St. Mary's falls in line. I've heard of several cases where Anne Arundel County parents sneak their kids into Calvert schools by using relative's addresses. Not sure if they are doing that down there.

Once again, please move to Calvert. I'm begging you. NOT!

Last edited:

Cowgirl

I'd definitely go with Leonardtown High. I'm glad I didn't go to Great Mills. My brother and I went to Leonardtown Middle, and my sister went to Esperanza. None of us had any problems.