Question about my dryer

B

baswm

Dougstermd said:
or the thermostat

or the thermo overload protection

:yeahthat:
The Thermal cut off is usually located on the heater element case. Checking this part with a meter, you should get continuity. As the name says, this is a THERMAL cut-off, meaning it cuts off if the temperature of the element gets too high. While this part CAN open for no apparent reason, it is very rare. The usual causes for this part going out are:

Improper air flow, usually caused by the vent hose behind the dryer being kinked or the vent system otherwise restricted,
The cycling and hi-limit thermostats have both gone bad, causing the dryer to over heat.
When you purchase the thermal cut-off, it sometimes comes with a hi-limit thermostat (depending on the brand), but the cycling thermostat must always be purchased separately.

Your dryer uses multiple thermostats to regulate its internal temperature. The cycle selected determines which thermostat is used. The cycling thermostat can be found somewhere in the path of air that is leaving the drum. So, it could be found on the blower wheel housing or inside the venting/exhaust system. Dryer thermostats are usually oval shaped and about an inch and a half in length. Also, there should be two wires leading to each thermostat. Label these wires before you remove them so that you are able to correctly reconnect them later.

The wires to the thermostat are connected using metal slip on connectors. Remove the wires by pulling on the connectors, and not the wires themselves. It may be a good idea to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to help you.

Set your multimeter to the R X 1 setting. Take each of your meter's probes and touch one to each terminal. You are testing for continuity, and you should receive a reading of either zero or infinity. At room temperature, testing the thermostat should produce a reading of zero. But if a thermostat is tested when it is heated to its limit, a reading of infinity should be produced. We strongly recommend that you test your thermostat at room temperature.

If the test you conduct with your thermostat does not produce these results, then you should replace the component.

The thermostat itself is attached to the dryer with two screws. Remove both screws and discard faulty cycling thermostat. Install new thermostat, securing it in place with two screws. Reconnect the two wires, reassemble your clothes dryer, and restore power to the unit. Run your dryer through a cycle to make sure it is working properly.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
baswm said:
:yeahthat:
The Thermal cut off is usually located on the heater element case. Checking this part with a meter, you should get continuity. As the name says, this is a THERMAL cut-off, meaning it cuts off if the temperature of the element gets too high. While this part CAN open for no apparent reason, it is very rare. The usual causes for this part going out are:

Improper air flow, usually caused by the vent hose behind the dryer being kinked or the vent system otherwise restricted,
The cycling and hi-limit thermostats have both gone bad, causing the dryer to over heat.
When you purchase the thermal cut-off, it sometimes comes with a hi-limit thermostat (depending on the brand), but the cycling thermostat must always be purchased separately.

Your dryer uses multiple thermostats to regulate its internal temperature. The cycle selected determines which thermostat is used. The cycling thermostat can be found somewhere in the path of air that is leaving the drum. So, it could be found on the blower wheel housing or inside the venting/exhaust system. Dryer thermostats are usually oval shaped and about an inch and a half in length. Also, there should be two wires leading to each thermostat. Label these wires before you remove them so that you are able to correctly reconnect them later.

The wires to the thermostat are connected using metal slip on connectors. Remove the wires by pulling on the connectors, and not the wires themselves. It may be a good idea to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to help you.

Set your multimeter to the R X 1 setting. Take each of your meter's probes and touch one to each terminal. You are testing for continuity, and you should receive a reading of either zero or infinity. At room temperature, testing the thermostat should produce a reading of zero. But if a thermostat is tested when it is heated to its limit, a reading of infinity should be produced. We strongly recommend that you test your thermostat at room temperature.

If the test you conduct with your thermostat does not produce these results, then you should replace the component.

The thermostat itself is attached to the dryer with two screws. Remove both screws and discard faulty cycling thermostat. Install new thermostat, securing it in place with two screws. Reconnect the two wires, reassemble your clothes dryer, and restore power to the unit. Run your dryer through a cycle to make sure it is working properly.

Thanks do much more the input and instructions. :huggy: What time shall I expect your service call? :lmao:

marianne

Try Googling the make and model of your dryer. There's an extremely long thread in epinions that talks about a problem with Kenmore Elite dryer where the dryer will only run if you keep holding the "start" button. It turned out to be a problem with the timer which Kenmore ended up fixing for free because the problem was so wide spread.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
marianne said:
Try Googling the make and model of your dryer. There's an extremely long thread in epinions that talks about a problem with Kenmore Elite dryer where the dryer will only run if you keep holding the "start" button. It turned out to be a problem with the timer which Kenmore ended up fixing for free because the problem was so wide spread.

I diconnected the vent hose and let in run inside to be sure the vent was not blocked and it still did not work. I also tried to run it on the no heat air only cycle. To no avail I believe the thermostat is bad. The dryer was just as hot on the no heat settting as it was on high heat. This weekend I plan on bribing the Dougster to open it up.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Tigerlily said:
I diconnected the vent hose and let in run inside to be sure the vent was not blocked and it still did not work. I also tried to run it on the no heat air only cycle. To no avail I believe the thermostat is bad. The dryer was just as hot on the no heat settting as it was on high heat. This weekend I plan on bribing the Dougster to open it up.

Good luck with that........ but if he does, maybe we can :gossip: while he is :yay:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Ernie said:
Did you get it fixed Tigerlilly? If so, what was the cause? :popcorn:
Dougster was kind enough to come look at it for me. He took it apart cleaned it, tested it, started it and watched it catch on FIRE :yikes: Needless to say it needs a new element and a few other things at this point. The toss up is between around 75 dollars in parts to fix or getting a new one. Got a lead on one in the classifieds here that will hopefuly work out.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Tigerlily said:
Dougster was kind enough to come look at it for me. He took it apart cleaned it, tested it, started it and watched it catch on FIRE :yikes: Needless to say it needs a new element and a few other things at this point. The toss up is between around 75 dollars in parts to fix or getting a new one. Got a lead on one in the classifieds here that will hopefuly work out.

:killingme: You two are too much! :huggy:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
itsbob said:
There's a washer AND dryer in the classifed for $50!!
Thanks we got a newsed dryer on Thursday from the classifieds. It needs a bit of tweeking but will hopefully do the trick. The washer so far is still holding up.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Tigerlily said:
Thanks we got a newsed dryer on Thursday from the classifieds. It needs a bit of tweeking but will hopefully do the trick. The washer so far is still holding up.

I thought we got a used dryer. What's a newsed dryer?

bcp

In My Opinion
Should you use regular or premium in a gas dryer.
and, when you light it, how do you keep from burning out your nose hairs?

oh, and why do all of my clothes come out black and full of holes?