Question for Joggers in SOMD

C

czygvtwkr

When there is a perfectly good sidewalk on both sides of the road why do you insist on jogging in the road?

garyt27

INAFJ
And why do bikes and runners pick like the busiest roads to be on, and why run or bike during rush hour?

libby

Speaking for myself, I stay as far into the shoulder as possible. If there is enough grassy area I will jump down into it, and if not, I'll stop and stand back. It's not worth risking getting hit.
It is astonishing how many drivers make no attempt to slow down,though. I have half a mind to bring a stick or rock with me to throw at the side of the next car that insists on showing no attempt to slow down or move over, just as a courtesy. It can be pretty scary, and I'd like to scare the crap right out of them by throwing something as they go by and letting them think they actually might have hit me. Maybe if they $hit their pants just once, they'll change their ways.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Speaking for myself, I stay as far into the shoulder as possible. If there is enough grassy area I will jump down into it, and if not, I'll stop and stand back. It's not worth risking getting hit.
It is astonishing how many drivers make no attempt to slow down,though. I have half a mind to bring a stick or rock with me to throw at the side of the next car that insists on showing no attempt to slow down or move over, just as a courtesy. It can be pretty scary, and I'd like to scare the crap right out of them by throwing something as they go by and letting them think they actually might have hit me. Maybe if they $hit their pants just once, they'll change their ways.

becareful what you wish for, the vehicle could end up swerving INTO you.

Freefaller

While I understand your sentiment

You realize, of course, what you're talking about is dangerous and could lead to an accident if the driver reacts poorly. It is also very illegal. How would you feel if that happened and the car you hit with a rock, went out of control and hit another completely innocent driver? Perhaps injuring or killing someone else! Use your head, act like an adult and THINK before you post such an idiotic statement!

BernieP

Resident PIA
When there is a perfectly good sidewalk on both sides of the road why do you insist on jogging in the road?

I had a recent "experience" with a "couple" of joggers who were in the road, and not on the sidewalk. I was trying to stop but had to go around them to pull over - that or have them run into the front of my car.

dan0623_2000

'
Why should I slow down because you are on the side of the road? Logic would dictate that if you feel unsafe then you should run/jog someplace else that you consider safe. Throw something or in any way damage my car and I will press charges against you for property destruction.

mus

Or maybe they'll get out and beat your ass.

mus

'
Why should I slow down because you are on the side of the road? Logic would dictate that if you feel unsafe then you should run/jog someplace else that you consider safe. Throw something or in any way damage my car and I will press charges against you for property destruction.

Because you wouldn't want to hit them??

puggymom

And why do bikes and runners pick like the busiest roads to be on, and why run or bike during rush hour?

Or bikers (not motercycles) that pick windy no shoulder roads where there is a bike trail right by it (Oaks Rd in Charlotte Hall).
And I am fairly certain they are not going to/from the bike path. I walk it almost everyday and I rarely see 'professional' bikers with all their bike gear on it.

Last edited:

libby

You realize, of course, what you're talking about is dangerous and could lead to an accident if the driver reacts poorly. It is also very illegal. How would you feel if that happened and the car you hit with a rock, went out of control and hit another completely innocent driver? Perhaps injuring or killing someone else! Use your head, act like an adult and THINK before you post such an idiotic statement!

Well, I said I'd like to, but no, I would never do it.

libby

'

Logic would also dictate that the road does not belong to you alone, and you, too, have an obligation to drive in a manner that is courteous of others. I pay taxes for these roads and if I choose to use them to better my health and strength, then I darn well will do that. I'm less worried about the consequences of throwing something at you than I am about what will happen people who think they own the road kill me, or someone else.

acommondisaster

Logic would also dictate that the road does not belong to you alone, and you, too, have an obligation to drive in a manner that is courteous of others. I pay taxes for these roads and if I choose to use them to better my health and strength, then I darn well will do that. I'm less worried about the consequences of throwing something at you than I am about what will happen people who think they own the road kill me, or someone else.

Are you one of those people who insist on driving at your speed in the left lane, too?

General Lee

The roadway is for vehicles, not for pedestrians. If you don't like cars whizzing by you get off the road. Its common sense. If a jogger threw something at my vehicle being that they're in my vehicles space, they wouldn't run again.

bulldog

Back on topic...

For me, there are a couple of reasons.

#1: If I have a choice of running surfaces, I'm going to pick the most forgiving surface I can. The asphalt shoulder of a road is more forgiving / softer than a concrete sidewalk and therefore less brutal on my old joints.

#2: For me, many areas where I run there are no sidewalks. I live in Cox's run in Callaway. When I go for runs longer than 6 miles (which I can do in my hood) I go out onto 5, head south and then jump on 249 and run toward St. George Island. There is very little sidewalk in that stretch of running so I'm on the shoulder of the road for most of it. That said, on those roads the shoulders are very generously wide so I really don't see it as a problem. On one occasion I went for a run on Chingville Rd and Medley's Neck. Drivers were very courteous and gave me plenty of room, but I still did not feel comfortable and won't run on those types of roads anymore.

Bicycle riding is another issue altogether. I will ride Medley's Neck and like roads because of the hills and the intensity of the workout that they provide. Perfectly legal to do so and vehicular traffic has the burden of safety when attempting to pass. I'm not a center of the lane rider and stay as close to the edge as I safely can, but I'm not going to ditch just so you can pass me.

mus

The roadway is for vehicles, not for pedestrians. If you don't like cars whizzing by you get off the road. Its common sense. If a jogger threw something at my vehicle being that they're in my vehicles space, they wouldn't run again.

The road is for everyone.