Question for SOMD Golfers

Nupe2

Where do you get your equipment? Now that Mike's Golf is gone from St. Mary's (been gone for a while I know) is there anywhere to purchase golf clubs, etc. other than Dick's in Waldorf or the local course shops? I can't recall seeing any golf shops in Prince Frederick or anywhere else near here (Northern St. Mary's).

I've been looking at a set of Ping G10s but Dick's doesn't carry them (Ping doesn't sell to stores that sell firearms). I went to Washington Golf Centers in Arlington but they are having problems with Ping so no luck there either.

Oh well, just curious where others are getting their stuff these days. :popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Where do you get your equipment? Now that Mike's Golf is gone from St. Mary's (been gone for a while I know) is there anywhere to purchase golf clubs, etc. other than Dick's in Waldorf or the local course shops? I can't recall seeing any golf shops in Prince Frederick or anywhere else near here (Northern St. Mary's).

I've been looking at a set of Ping G10s but Dick's doesn't carry them (Ping doesn't sell to stores that sell firearms). I went to Washington Golf Centers in Arlington but they are having problems with Ping so no luck there either.

Oh well, just curious where others are getting their stuff these days. :popcorn:

Callaway Golf Preowned & Outlet : Used Golf Clubs, Pre-Owned Drivers, Fairway Woods, Irons, Wedges, Iron Sets, Putters

Excellent stuff, excellent service, excellent prices. You can get a human on the phone and they know their stuff. :buddies:

I believe that Mike at St. Mary's Golf Center in Lexington Park (the driving range) is an authorized Ping Dealer - at least he used to be. I don't think he has any stock, but he can fit you and order what you want. If you are interested, I'd call him and make sure, because he isn't always there.

Nupe2

I believe that Mike at St. Mary's Golf Center in Lexington Park (the driving range) is an authorized Ping Dealer - at least he used to be. I don't think he has any stock, but he can fit you and order what you want. If you are interested, I'd call him and make sure, because he isn't always there.

Thanks Tilted. I work in Arlington so I'm going to check at a couple of other spots this week. I'll let you know if I strike out. I may stick with my irons and just get a couple of the Ping hybrids (I love that 21 degree!). Will keep you posted and thanks again! :buddies:

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good

I use East Coast Golf & Tennis. I have been going htere for several years now and I have been very pleased. They have a great fitting facilities and also are willing to let you test drive the clubs on the course. The staff is extremely knowledgable and cater to your needs. Great place in my opinion.

East Coast Golf
Store Type: Golf Shop / Golf Equipment Retail Outlet
Shop Address: 10438 Auto Park Ave
Bethesda, MD 20817-1006

Nupe2

I use East Coast Golf & Tennis. I have been going htere for several years now and I have been very pleased. They have a great fitting facilities and also are willing to let you test drive the clubs on the course. The staff is extremely knowledgable and cater to your needs. Great place in my opinion.

East Coast Golf
Store Type: Golf Shop / Golf Equipment Retail Outlet
Shop Address: 10438 Auto Park Ave
Bethesda, MD 20817-1006

Amazing! I just printed out a map to the store. I'm going to try to run up there at lunch time today! Buying a set of Pings in this area is torture. I hope this works! :yay:

Nupe2

Finally took the drive up to East Coast Golf....new set of Ping G10s have been ordered as well as 21 and 24 degree hybrids. They were very helpful and the store is well stocked with clubs and merchandise. It's a bit of a drive from down here but if you are looking for good service and selection they seem to be a good choice.

My clubs are due to be delivered in 7 - 10 days. I kept my Mizunos but I might try to sell them on Ebay if the Pings live up to my expectations. The guy I talked to said that he usually won't recommend Mizunos because they can be hard to hit. I like mine but they are not the most forgiving clubs. Based on my play with the Pings out in Arizona, I hope to be able to shave a few strokes off of my scores once the new sticks are in the bag....we'll see.

Next up? Maybe a test drive of the new TaylorMade R9 driver. I like to tinker and hate my banana balls (and also the occasional duck hook or two in my current driver - just ask Kom) so I might upgrade if the cash flow allows.

Stay tuned for a post delivery update.

Cheers! :buddies:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Golfsmith. I have been using them for years and they are great. Also my fiance just got me my new Taylor Made Bag from Global Golf and they seemed to have really good customer service too.

I just got last years Taylor Made Burner Driver and 5 wood. Now for a set of r7 irons and I will be set.

Report back on how you like the Ping's. I looked at them a couple months ago at Dicks in Jacksonville NC and they were nice.

Nupe2

Golfsmith. I have been using them for years and they are great. Also my fiance just got me my new Taylor Made Bag from Global Golf and they seemed to have really good customer service too.

I just got last years Taylor Made Burner Driver and 5 wood. Now for a set of r7 irons and I will be set.

Report back on how you like the Ping's. I looked at them a couple months ago at Dicks in Jacksonville NC and they were nice.

Sounds good. I'll let you know about the Pings for sure. Interesting about Dick's selling Pings in NC. One of the Dick's employees in Waldorf told me that Ping wouldn't distribute through Dick's. :shrug:

Let me know how you like the Driver and 5 wood too.

Finally took the drive up to East Coast Golf....new set of Ping G10s have been ordered as well as 21 and 24 degree hybrids. They were very helpful and the store is well stocked with clubs and merchandise. It's a bit of a drive from down here but if you are looking for good service and selection they seem to be a good choice.

My clubs are due to be delivered in 7 - 10 days. I kept my Mizunos but I might try to sell them on Ebay if the Pings live up to my expectations. The guy I talked to said that he usually won't recommend Mizunos because they can be hard to hit. I like mine but they are not the most forgiving clubs. Based on my play with the Pings out in Arizona, I hope to be able to shave a few strokes off of my scores once the new sticks are in the bag....we'll see.

Next up? Maybe a test drive of the new TaylorMade R9 driver. I like to tinker and hate my banana balls (and also the occasional duck hook or two in my current driver - just ask Kom) so I might upgrade if the cash flow allows.

Stay tuned for a post delivery update.

Cheers! :buddies:

Good luck with the Pings. What kind of Mizunos did you play?

I played MP30s for quite a while and loved them. For some reason, I switched to Taylor Made R7s. I'm not sure why I switched, because I didn't have any complaints with the Mizunos. I guess I figured that all of my buddies were using more cavity-backed irons, so I needed some too - so they wouldn't have an advantage. It's been a year or more now, and I think I'm ready to switch back. I think that well struck balls came off hotter, and had a more consistent trajectory, with the Mizunos.

Let me know what you think about the Pings relative to the Mizunos.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I played MP30s for quite a while and loved them. For some reason, I switched to Taylor Made R7s. I'm not sure why I switched, because I didn't have any complaints with the Mizunos. I guess I figured that all of my buddies were using more cavity-backed irons, so I needed some too - so they wouldn't have an advantage. It's been a year or more now, and I think I'm ready to switch back. I think that well struck balls came off hotter, and had a more consistent trajectory, with the Mizunos.

Let us be perfectly clear here; it is the driver BEHIND the irons, so to speak, that makes ALL the difference. A good swing, a coke bottle, a baseball bat and a rake will beat a not so good swing and the best irons ever made...every time. :buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm way late for the response here but Mike's Golf moved to Waldorf. They took over the old 2Golf shop, UNLESS they had to shut down for economic reasons.

That being said, I may hold out until I hit MB before I get any new equipment. I'm leaning towards a new driver but if I can find a used R7 Super Quad at a decent price I may have to jump on it. I was able (I think) to straighten out this ridiculous fade I acquired late last season but I feel like it's right there and if I have a hair out of place or I'm not looking at the ball right it's going to re emerge. I figure If I get the R7 or an R5 draw I may be able to go ahead and give it a good full high speed swing and be able to hit some from the short grass.

Now about that putting thing... :lol:

Let us be perfectly clear here; it is the driver BEHIND the irons, so to speak, that makes ALL the difference. A good swing, a coke bottle, a baseball bat and a rake will beat a not so good swing and the best irons ever made...every time. :buddies:

Yeah, I agree - the player is the vast majority of the equation. I'm not a big equipment changer like a lot of golfers are. In the last 5 years, I think I've had 2 drivers, 2 iron sets and 1 putter. Most people would be be much better off if they spent a few bucks on lessons instead of equipment (myself included).

Some equipment does suit particular swings/styles better though. Its not so much that its better, but rather a better fit for a particular player. I tend to think that the right shaft is even more important than the right club.

My main complaint with regard to my current irons is that they seem to react inconsistently to the same solid contact. The truth probably is that it I can't feel slight mis-hits as well, so it doesn't register with me that I didn't strike the ball on the screws, and that is why it gave me a different trajectory or flight distance. With my old Mizunos, I could sense slight mis-hits much better, so I got instant feedback on the quality of my swing.

Okay - you've talked me into it - I'm switching back. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah, I agree - the player is the vast majority of the equation. I'm not a big equipment changer like a lot of golfers are. In the last 5 years, I think I've had 2 drivers, 2 iron sets and 1 putter. Most people would be be much better off if they spent a few bucks on lessons instead of equipment (myself included).

Some equipment does suit particular swings/styles better though. Its not so much that its better, but rather a better fit for a particular player. I tend to think that the right shaft is even more important than the right club.

My main complaint with regard to my current irons is that they seem to react inconsistently to the same solid contact. The truth probably is that it I can't feel slight mis-hits as well, so it doesn't register with me that I didn't strike the ball on the screws, and that is why it gave me a different trajectory or flight distance. With my old Mizunos, I could sense slight mis-hits much better, so I got instant feedback on the quality of my swing.

Okay - you've talked me into it - I'm switching back. :lol:

Blades don't let you kid yourself. Couldn't agree more about shafts and lessons. I love these guys who have yet another set of the latest greatest irons who hit the ball WAY, WAY better but still have the short game and score of, well, the golfer they were before the great new sticks.

Also, I'm with you on drivers, too. BUT that is a symptom of the operator, too, our particular swing flaws.

Golf; the only thing I've ever done where trying harder makes things worse.

:lol:

Nupe2

I have the Mizuno MX25s. I actually like them but they are not the most forgiving clubs. I'll let you know how the Pings feel relative to the Mizunos. 5 - 8 days and counting

Last edited:

kom526

Take heed fellow golfers!!
Towards the end of a round of golf, Dave hit his ball into the woods and found it in a patch of pretty, yellow buttercups.

Trying to get his ball back in play, he ended up thrashing just about every buttercup in the patch.

All of a sudden… POOF!!

In a flash and puff of smoke, a little old woman appeared.

She said, 'I'm Mother Nature! Do you know how long it took me to make those buttercups?
Just for doing what you have done, you won't have any butter for your popcorn for the rest of your life... better still, you won't have any butter for your toast for the rest of your life.... As a matter of fact, you'll never have any butter for anything for the rest of your life!!!'

Then POOF!... she was gone!

After Dave recovered from the shock, he hollered for his friend, 'Fred, where are you?'

Fred yells back 'I'm over here in the pussy willows.'

Dave shouts back, 'DON'T SWING, Fred; FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T SWING!!!'

I'm working the same set of irons that I got 3 years ago and my driver is 2 years old (purchased used). The only thing I've done is had the D shaft replaced from R to S. If someone can purchase a club that can help them straighten out a drive or help them feel more confident while lining up a shot over a greenside bunker to a short pin with $5 on the line, then more power to them.:yay:

I highly recommend lessons. My wife paid for 3 days of lessons and a new set of irons (current set) for our 10th anniversary and my scores have gone down and my overall play has improved. Never under estimate the importance of playing frequently also. Go ahead and buy a set of $1000 irons and a $500 driver but if you play only once a month during the warm months then chances are that you're not going to do so well. But take heart my fellow chaser of the little white ball, you could use the expense of the clubs to justify more playing time to your SO. "Honey, it would be a waste of money if I did not play golf more. I need to be able to justify the money I spent on equipment."
I'm still trying to get that line of reasoning to work.:lol:

kom526

If I could have your swing, less your sense of direction, I'd be in business. :popcorn:

He always knows where is ball went.........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over there in that tall grass.

After today's round @ BB I may just abandon my driver for a while and stick with the 3W. I think I miss hit that thing twice today (sidehill lie and over swinging) and it does sound sweet when I hit it on the screws. There were a few occasions where I was able to split the fairways and those ended up being D 8,9, or PW.

I was able to stay out of the tall grass (for the most part) but I did put a couple in the woods that will remain there. Let me get a couple of more rounds under my belt this season because my mid irons need some work and then I think I'll be ready to suffer the slings and arrows from frick and frack.:lol:

OBTW:BB is in superb shape and the greens are putting on a tile floor. I mean if you hit it just a smidge too strong you will see a vapor trail.

Last edited: