Question re: Three Notch Trail

granny45

This past weekend I noticed horse trailers at Laurel Grove Park. Is horseback riding allowed on the Trail? Never thought about it and really don't see a problem with that except that horses tend to make a mess. Who is responsible for cleaning up after them? Would hate to step in something on the trail.

sdm

This past weekend I noticed horse trailers at Laurel Grove Park. Is horseback riding allowed on the Trail? Never thought about it and really don't see a problem with that except that horses tend to make a mess. Who is responsible for cleaning up after them? Would hate to step in something on the trail.

The only portion of Three Notch Trail that is open to "horse and buggies" is Rt. 236 North to the Veterans Home. This is the area that the Amish traverse and they are responsible for cleaning up after their animals.

dave1959

Dont hold me to it , but yes I believe they are allowed...Oh yeh...watch your step.

dave1959

The only portion of Three Notch Trail that is open to "horse and buggies" is Rt. 236 North to the Veterans Home. This is the area that the Amish traverse and they are responsible for cleaning up after their animals.

From the St Marys Co website:

St. Mary County Department of Recreation & Parks is pleased to announce that the Three Notch Trail project is currently under construction. The recreational trail is being constructed along the 28-mile, County owned railroad right-of-way (ROW), which runs south from Hughesville (in Charles County) to Lexington Park (to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station). The trail will be a non-motorized pedestrian, bicycle and equestrian trail. The trail is being constructed of asphalt and will be 10 feet wide in most sections. Appropriate signage, benches, crosswalks and road barriers are also included in the scope of work. The project will be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

psssst...Hey grannie...google is your freind...I'm just say'in

DQ2B

They were probably my trailers you saw. Horses are allowed. You can call the county if you want to confirm.

Last edited:

DQ2B

Nope. Just a small portion of the trail. :dance: I asked the boss.

Whos' "the boss?" I called the county to confirm that horses were indeed allowed and was told they were. Years ago I went to the meetings before construction began as well because they were touting these trails for equestrian use.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I've never been either trail but why would they ok it for horses and people to use the exact same trail? I wouldn't want to dodge "road apples" while jogging or riding my bike.

DQ2B

I've never been either trail but why would they ok it for horses and people to use the exact same trail? I wouldn't want to dodge "road apples" while jogging or riding my bike.

Because it is for recreational use and the tri-county area has a rather large group of trail riding equestrians. BTW, dogs on leashes are also allowed and I know of no requirement to "clean up " after them so you may have to "dodge" that too. Honestly, manure dries up rather fast but I'm not unsympathetic to those that find it offensive on the trail but neither do I have any answers to those that have a problem with it.

chzburger

No horses please....

It was my understanding that a parallel dirt trail was to be built for horses for safety and sanitation reasons.
The majority of horseback riders do not clean up after their horses on trails. There will be horse poop and pee all over the trail guaranteed...and not in small amounts. Who wants to walk or ride on that? Horses are also easily spooked. Dogs, kids, bikes, rollerblades, pinecones, Redskins shirts, coke cans...you name it and some horses will get spooked. I don't know about you but I don't want a 2000 lb animal losing it on a trail within inches of little kids on trikes.
I'm surprised the county would approve of horses being on the same trail as small children and dogs. Recreation and Parks should know better...they're supposed to be concerned with safety.

recandparks

Everyone,
Horses are allowed on the Three Notch Trail. However, many people feel the asphalt surface is not ideal for their horses. Buggies are ONLY allowed on the short section you mentioned in Charlotte Hall, near the Farmers' Market at the Charlotte Hall Library. The horse manure has not been a big problem; on occasion Parks Staff and the Amish have worked to clean it up (our rural character:) Hope everyone is having fun enjoying the trail!

BernieP

Resident PIA

people on foot competing with bike and horses for the same space - guess who's goiong to lose?

chzburger

There are lots of trails in St. Mary's county, both in the state and the county parks which are suitable for horses. Plus, there are a lot of private trails they have access to. But this is the only paved trail in St. Mary's county where we can take our kids to ride their bikes and go for walks with the grandparents. It's this or the side of the road and we all know how safe the roads are.
So no, recandparks, it's not much fun watching your kid ride his bike through horse poop especially when you've driven to the trail and you don't have anything to wash the poop off of the tires and the trike goes in the back of the van. Not a fan.

Hoover

Not a fan of stepping in dog doo doo either while loading my horse but thats acceptable? I clean up after my horse why dont people clean up after their dogs?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
There are lots of trails in St. Mary's county, both in the state and the county parks which are suitable for horses. Plus, there are a lot of private trails they have access to. But this is the only paved trail in St. Mary's county where we can take our kids to ride their bikes and go for walks with the grandparents. It's this or the side of the road and we all know how safe the roads are.
So no, recandparks, it's not much fun watching your kid ride his bike through horse poop especially when you've driven to the trail and you don't have anything to wash the poop off of the tires and the trike goes in the back of the van. Not a fan.

This is true. Can I take my 3 dogs for a walk on the horse trails?