Question re: Three Notch Trail

nomoney

I don't care either way if a horse sh!ts in the woods.
But come on peeps that are comparing horse crap to dog/bird/rabid bunny crap. There's a huge difference in size - and all those other little cute woodland creatures do their business in their little hole houses and tree huts. Not in the middle of the freakin path. I'd much rather step in squirrel ca-ca then horse crap any day.

PrepH4U

I don't care either way if a horse sh!ts in the woods.
But come on peeps that are comparing horse crap to dog/bird/rabid bunny crap. There's a huge difference in size - and all those other little cute woodland creatures do their business in their little hole houses and tree huts. Not in the middle of the freakin path. I'd much rather step in squirrel ca-ca then horse crap any day.

Ahh you are just mad that I threw some at you! :killingme Horse Apple fight!

recandparks

Just a little more information to answer some questions. The State Parks in St. Mary's County that allow horseback riding are Greenwell State Park (limited use currently due to storm damage); St. Mary's River State Park (due to current tree damage, may not be possible at this time); and Newtowne Neck State Park (but not in farm field areas). Anyone with additional questions on horseback riding in State Parks should contact Christie Bright, Dept. of Natural Resources at (301) 872-5688. As far as County parks go, there are no County parks (i.e. Myrtle Point or Dorsey) that are designated for equestrian uses. However, you are correct in saying that there has been dicussion and future master planning done for equestrian trails and riding rings in Chaptico Park. Recreation and Parks looks forward to hearing from horseback riders who would like to see this move forward. The feasibility of this in light of current funding constraints and volunteer help needed to construct the trails will need to be considered. Hope this answers some of the questions - and with regard to the horse poop - Recreation and Parks is monitoring the situation. Yes, rain helps, as does understanding the rural character of our area and patience from all users.

dave1959

Just a little more information to answer some questions. The State Parks in St. Mary's County that allow horseback riding are Greenwell State Park (limited use currently due to storm damage); St. Mary's River State Park (due to current tree damage, may not be possible at this time); and Newtowne Neck State Park (but not in farm field areas). Anyone with additional questions on horseback riding in State Parks should contact Christie Bright, Dept. of Natural Resources at (301) 872-5688. As far as County parks go, there are no County parks (i.e. Myrtle Point or Dorsey) that are designated for equestrian uses. However, you are correct in saying that there has been dicussion and future master planning done for equestrian trails and riding rings in Chaptico Park. Recreation and Parks looks forward to hearing from horseback riders who would like to see this move forward. The feasibility of this in light of current funding constraints and volunteer help needed to construct the trails will need to be considered. Hope this answers some of the questions - and with regard to the horse poop - Recreation and Parks is monitoring the situation. Yes, rain helps, as does understanding the rural character of our area and patience from all users.

There's your answer right there !!!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
It is also up to the rider to make sure that the horse is desentized to many of those things that were mentioned. The walkers, bikers, runners etc should also do their part and say "On your left". That way the rider is aware the someone is coming. This is just for horse back riders benefit but anyone passing should say "On your left".

I wouldn't take my young horse on that trail with all those distractions. He would lose his marbles.

This is a rural farm area and not surburban Metro area. People want to move to a rural area but not have the cows, pigs, and horses. Well than it isn't rual anymore.

Hoover

When you are on a "Public" Trail its just that - "PUBLIC" sorry granny get over yourself. If you dont like living in the country then move to the city. Or learn to step high. I always loved to see the horses on the trails. I couldnt wait to see the riders when I was growing up now I am a rider. I love the looks of excitement on the faces of the kids when we are walking on the trails and love them petting my big boy. He loves the attention too. Its a great experience for everyone. Horses so are calming.

pelers

The poop is irritating and I do think people should be responsible for cleaning up their own messes. Horse poop, dog poop, baby poop... whatever.

I don't know much about horses (other than they make large piles of poop), but how realistic is it that they'd spook and possibly injure kids?

sm8

As for the spitting of gum, I think any adult caught spitting gum out on the ground should have all of their teeth pulled out with pliers so they can never chew gum again. If it is a child spitting gum out on the ground their parents should be beat for not teaching them better. I do have to say I think I would rather step in horse poop than someones chewed up gum.

With the spooking of horses, I could not answer your question of how likely it is but I would assume the owner knowing the horse would have enough common sense to only take a horse that could handle being around people.