Question regarding Renting in St. Marys' County

danceintherain

Does anyone know if there are laws/guidelines for Landlords in St. Mary's County? Is there a cap on rent increases? Are landlords responsible for painting or supplying paint, supplying smoke detectors, service on appliances, etc.?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
danceintherain said:
Does anyone know if there are laws/guidelines for Landlords in St. Mary's County? Is there a cap on rent increases? Are landlords responsible for painting or supplying paint, supplying smoke detectors, service on appliances, etc.?
You're kidding, right?

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
danceintherain said:

:killingme Depends on the landlord as to what is supplied in the house or whatever you are renting.....

watercolor

yeah yeah
omm it generally states this in the lease. But yes, they need to have the smoke detectors and service on the appliances if they come with the rental. Granted, some people have it incorperated in the lease that if its under 100.00 that it is the responsiblity of the renter to take care of it. And if over, to obtain a receipt and they will pay the difference. And the painting, they are to supply the paint.. but it generally doesnt need to be done, unless they state it or ask for it, and then you may have to paint it- but they can supply it.

And a cap on increases? Omm, well, if the market goes up, that is generally what states an increase or if certain major instances or additions take place on the rental unit. But otherwise, I havent heard of a cap. They can keep going up and up, but they will stop as soon as they see they have no one to rent the place. I could be wrong though- on the cap .. so, that is just in thought and from what I have heard around where I work.

morganj614

danceintherain said:

I thought I had heard somewhere the cap is 10% on the rent increase.

sonsorae

What now?!
I don't think there are any written rules on the cap for rent increase; however, if your lease is up for renewal, the landlord can state that an increase will included in the renewal. If you are section 8, there are different guidelines for rental properties. If you had a fairly decent landlord, he/she should have gave you warning that the rent is going to increase. Go the website that was posted earlier. It has a lot of helpful information.

somdcrab

danceintherain said:
:killingme In Da projects????? :killingme

danceintherain

A co-work recently relocated here. She is looking to buy but has to rent in the mean time. She is in a lease on a single family home on 2 acres in a nice community. The lease is pretty plain. She has had some trouble lately and asked for help. A storm door blew off the house a few days ago. She called the landlord. Someone replaced the door and left her a $300 bill. She was also told that her rent was going to increase $350.00 a month. I noticed that there were no smoke detectors in the house and was going to buy her 2. I also think her oil bill is way too high. She has called the landlord about it but hasnt gotten any response.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
J.South said:
Try to to find a reasonable house
An acre and a trailer is better than paying someone else's bills.
You can also look up the repos in the paper, check out the HUD website. Inexpensive home are out there if you look. They might not be your dream home, but building equity in you own property get's you closer than building it for someone else.