Questions for all the moms....

Tina2001aniT

Does anyone know where to get a good quality breast pump that will not break the bank? My sister just got one from Nurturing Necessities, it is a manual one, but supposedly the best manual they had, and just doesn't work very well at all. All of their electric pumps were over $300 and the one electric one I had I never used, I used the manual when I needed it, cause it seemed to work better. Any ideas??

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I know I had one, but for the life of me, I can't remember what brand it was, whether it was manual or electric, and what happened to it. :confused:

CMC122

Go Braves!
I think you can rent them from the hospital or medical supply store. All the tubing will be new. It might be worth it if she dosen't plan to pump very long:shrug:And I much prefered the machine over the manual pump. Just becareful you don't have it set on high when you first start:jameo:

Tina2001aniT

kwillia said:
Could she be having a problem with "letting down" rather than a problem with the pump itself?

I thought that at first maybe too, but without getting too graphic, she is expressing milk fine, it is just the seal on the pump is not very good, so the pump extracts the milk, but it then just runs out of the pump and basically down her tummy. I was helping her last night and we tried all kinds of different positions of the pump and everything and the milk just DOES NOT make it into the resevoir.....

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I remember renting an electric one from that pharmacy by Calvert Memorial. Family Pharmacy or something like that.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
CMC122 said:
Just becareful you don't have it set on high when you first start:jameo:

Aaaahhh! The memories! I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head. :lol:

STL_RAMS

You are not going to find a good electric one unless you spend the $300 (especially if you are exclusivly pumping). I never tried a manual one but I think it could be a PIA to use???

If your sister is going to only use it for a few months, you can rent it from them (NN or even St Mary's Hospital) for about $50 a month. I rented one for a few months from NN and it worked pretty well. It was the hospital grade one so it was very bulky.

Medela and another brand (it starts w/an A) both sell more portable styles (but they are still at least $250).

Have her check w/her insurance. Some insurance companies will pay for them. I called my insurance about it and they would only cover it if my child could not breastfeed (like if they had a clift palete (sp?) or something medically wrong) but some others will cover all fee's associated w/it.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Tina2001aniT said:
I thought that at first maybe too, but without getting too graphic, she is expressing milk fine, it is just the seal on the pump is not very good, so the pump extracts the milk, but it then just runs out of the pump and basically down her tummy. I was helping her last night and we tried all kinds of different positions of the pump and everything and the milk just DOES NOT make it into the resevoir.....

Medella (sp?) put out good pumps varying in price. They have a double one, pricey and also singe ones that are less expensive. I usually see the medella one in the pennysaver at least every other issue selling for around $100. You can get all new tubing for those at the medical supply store, they have one in Prince Frederick near the movie theater.

SouthernMdRocks

SouthernMdRocks said:
Medella (sp?) put out good pumps varying in price. They have a double one, pricey and also singe ones that are less expensive. I usually see the medella one in the pennysaver at least every other issue selling for around $100. You can get all new tubing for those at the medical supply store, they have one in Prince Frederick near the movie theater.

Results For All Areas. 1 - 6 of 6 ads

New Search

Random
EDDIE BAUER- Double stroller, $95; BellyTime Jungle Gym, $20; breast pump, Medela, $50 nursing pajamas and top extra large, $35. 410-326-1177.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRIB- Oak with mattress, like new, $100; Dual breast pump, like new, $75. 301-481-8150.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRIB- With mattress, $100; breast pump, $75, both like new condition. 301-481-8150.

FISHER PRICE- Aquarium baby swing, $45; Safety gates, two, $25; Breast pump, never used, $30; 301-502-7216.

MEDELA DOUBLE BREAST PUMP- Electric, all accessories included, $150; Graco battery operated swing, two speed, $20. Call 240-568-0694.

MEDELA- Pump 'n Style breast pump. Purchased in 2005, lightly used, asking $100. 410-744-6157.

SouthernMdRocks

CMC122 said:
I thought it was gonna rip my boob off:faint: Scared the crap out of me:lmao:

18 years ago with my first child, I rented one made by White River, the part that you put over your boob actually squeezed with ever pump, now that sent me through the roof.. :killingme

barncat

Tina2001aniT said:
Does anyone know where to get a good quality breast pump that will not break the bank? My sister just got one from Nurturing Necessities, it is a manual one, but supposedly the best manual they had, and just doesn't work very well at all. All of their electric pumps were over $300 and the one electric one I had I never used, I used the manual when I needed it, cause it seemed to work better. Any ideas??

I only pump and use the Medela Pump and Style and it's meeting my needs fine. I can pump a 6 ounce bottle in less than 10 minutes. I bought mine from a consultant, Milky Way, and paid no taxes and received a $10 dollar credit because I had previously rented a pump from her so the grand total was $240

STL_RAMS

SouthernMdRocks said:

Just an FYI - It is not recommended to purchase used pumps b/c of the whole sharing bodily fluid issue. Even though you purchase new tubes, many pumps still sent the milk through the motor area which is impossible to sterilize. With Hospital grade pumps that your rent, the milk is only in the tubes and storage things (so that is why you can share those).

barncat

SouthernMdRocks said:
Results For All Areas. 1 - 6 of 6 ads

New Search

Random
EDDIE BAUER- Double stroller, $95; BellyTime Jungle Gym, $20; breast pump, Medela, $50 nursing pajamas and top extra large, $35. 410-326-1177.

CRIB- Oak with mattress, like new, $100; Dual breast pump, like new, $75. 301-481-8150.

CRIB- With mattress, $100; breast pump, $75, both like new condition. 301-481-8150.

FISHER PRICE- Aquarium baby swing, $45; Safety gates, two, $25; Breast pump, never used, $30; 301-502-7216.

MEDELA DOUBLE BREAST PUMP- Electric, all accessories included, $150; Graco battery operated swing, two speed, $20. Call 240-568-0694.

MEDELA- Pump 'n Style breast pump. Purchased in 2005, lightly used, asking $100. 410-744-6157.

I would not suggest buying a used single user pump. The single user pumps do not guarantee that they do not suck milk into the motor, which could be a disease issue. Spend the $250 on the Medela Pump and Style, you will spend way more than that on formula.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
STL_RAMS said:
Just an FYI - It is not recommended to purchase used pumps b/c of the whole sharing bodily fluid issue. Even though you purchase new tubes, many pumps still sent the milk through the motor area which is impossible to sterilize. With Hospital grade pumps that your rent, the milk is only in the tubes and storage things (so that is why you can share those).
I find that hard to believe.

If what you say is ture, if the SAME person used it, it would have rotten milk in there from six months ago still (you don't wash motors, or at least don't immerse motors) and you'd have one seriously ill baby!