Questions for all the moms....

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
STL_RAMS said:
Just an FYI - It is not recommended to purchase used pumps b/c of the whole sharing bodily fluid issue. Even though you purchase new tubes, many pumps still sent the milk through the motor area which is impossible to sterilize. With Hospital grade pumps that your rent, the milk is only in the tubes and storage things (so that is why you can share those).

The ones mentioned are like the ones rented through the hospitals, the milk in only in tubes and storage area.

STL_RAMS

itsbob said:
I find that hard to believe.

If what you say is ture, if the SAME person used it, it would have rotten milk in there from six months ago still (you don't wash motors, or at least don't immerse motors) and you'd have one seriously ill baby!

I understand what you are saying about that issue. I just know that when I was looking to purchase a breastpump, I was told not to purchase a used one. I google "used breast pumps" and pretty much every site that comes up says that sharing breastpumps is not recomended b/c they can not be properly sterilized and therefore infectious diseases can be transfered.

None of them talked about re-using old ones.

Hawkeyewife

I used an Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (it was about $200) and came in a cute backpack-style carrying case. I used it with my now 17 month old son. This pump is the only FDA approved pump and is a closed system so the milk is never pumped through the motor or tubing so it's very clean. I used a Medela Pump in Style with our first baby and I had more success with the Ameda, I am keeping the Ameda for future kids, but giving the Medela away. I exclusively nursed both of our kids until they were 6 months old and then nursed both until about 14/15 months old while they were introduced to solids. Even though the pumps are expensive, formula and bottles are even more expensive and breast milk is just better. I typically pumped for babysitters or road trips but mostly nursed so I didn't pump everyday, maybe a few times a week. When my kids could sip from a cup, they got breastmilk that I pumped in a sippy cup so weaning from a bottle was never an issue. They both stopped nursing on thier own once I started introducing whole milk and yogurt into thier diet after thier first birthday.

Oh, I highly reccommend the Medela sterilization bags that you pop in the microwave, you can get them at Target and are great for sterilizing collection bottles breast sheilds etc.

STL_RAMS

SouthernMdRocks said:
The ones mentioned are like the ones rented through the hospitals, the milk in only in tubes and storage area.

Not to start a debate, but I really doubt they are selling "hospital grade" pumps for those prices. I did a lot of research into breast pumps b/c I was planing on pumping for a year w/my child. A hospital grade (multi-user) pump is over $1000 brand new - you would not resell that for as inexpensive as they are listed on what you posted.

The Medela Pump In Style (or even Pump In Style Advance) and equivalent pumps made by other companies are designed for single use only and they are the ones where milk can get into the membrane or motor of the pump (there for leading to contamination). These are the ones that are sold brand new for about $300 (for the double electronic pumping style).

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
STL_RAMS said:
Not to start a debate, but I really doubt they are selling "hospital grade" pumps for those prices. I did a lot of research into breast pumps b/c I was planing on pumping for a year w/my child. A hospital grade (multi-user) pump is over $1000 brand new - you would not resell that for as inexpensive as they are listed on what you posted.

The Medela Pump In Style (or even Pump In Style Advance) and equivalent pumps made by other companies are designed for single use only and they are the ones where milk can get into the membrane or motor of the pump (there for leading to contamination). These are the ones that are sold brand new for about $300 (for the double electronic pumping style).

No problem, I can say though that the pump I used in the hospital was the Medela, when I went to get my own through the medical supply store it was the pump n style model, I think I paid 300+ over 9 years ago for that one, might not of had the same name but was the double one. I'm not too sure I can see how the milk would get into the motor considering how it worked. Guess ones never knows though. Still one can find ones being sold that were given as gifts but not used for less money.
It's just an option...

STL_RAMS

SouthernMdRocks said:
No problem, I can say though that the pump I used in the hospital was the Medela, when I went to get my own through the medical supply store it was the pump n style model, I think I paid 300+ over 9 years ago for that one, might not of had the same name but was the double one. I'm not too sure I can see how the milk would get into the motor considering how it worked. Guess ones never knows though. Still one can find ones being sold that were given as gifts but not used for less money.
It's just an option...

Agreed. Even with the better "single use" ones, it is said that moisture containing the breastmilk can get into the motor/seal thing and if you have an infectious disease you can not "clean" it off. The FDA does not approve the resale of them but probably a CYA thing.

Honestly - the tests were probably conducted by the manufactures of the breast pumps so that they were able to force (by scaring) new mothers into paying the $300 to buy a new pump but since I personally, do not want to risk infecting myself or my child, I will just be a sucker, listen to them, and shell out the money for a new one or pay to rent the hospital kinds.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
STL_RAMS said:
I understand what you are saying about that issue. I just know that when I was looking to purchase a breastpump, I was told not to purchase a used one. I google "used breast pumps" and pretty much every site that comes up says that sharing breastpumps is not recomended b/c they can not be properly sterilized and therefore infectious diseases can be transfered.

None of them talked about re-using old ones.
And if I remeber correctly the hospital uses the same one (re-use) the same we bought for $300...

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
itsbob said:
And if I remeber correctly the hospital uses the same one (re-use) the same we bought for $300...
Yep, I bought the Medela double electric pump for $300 and used it probably for two months. Now it sits in the closet...... :ohwell:

Definitely try to use one (rent or borrow) before you make the purchase.. In case you find that you don't like the pump, you'll not have wasted $300 on a pump that you may not use.

Read my PM, Tina. :gossip:

mamissa3

I bought a Medula pump and style from the breastfeeding consultants at St Marys hospital and it was 200 brand new. It works very well to.

N

nitwhit3286

Yeah, if you are going to purchase one definitely do not do it the cheap way. I bought a 30.00 one from target and it was a total waste of money. I am sure you can find the medula pump online for as cheap as 180.00...just have to look around. :)