questions for all who commute to DC

Bertha Venation

How do you get to town during rush hour? What routes do you know? Which ones work the best?

Do you take different routes AM & PM?

Does any radio station have traffic coverage more specific to SOMD than WTOP?

I'm in Waldorf. I either take

--- 301/5 --> Suitland Pkwy --> Douglass Bridge --> So. Capitol St.
or
--- 301/5 --> Pennsylvania Ave.
or
--- 228 --> 210 --> 295 --> Douglass Bridge --> So. Capitol St.

Any info or advice that any other DC commuters can offer would be greatly appreciated.

What time do you want to go? That is what decides my route. Nobody has traffic for SoMD. 98.3/102.9 SUCKS! They are damn near useless for news/traffic. Nothing like getting the same 2 day old news reports on the way home as you did on the way in 12 hours earlier.

@ 5:00 am I go up 5 all the way
@ 7:00 am I got 5, 231, 381, and back to 5. (same route in the evening, just reversed, anytime after 5 @301/5 merge)

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by huntr1

@ 7:00 am I got 5, 231, 381, and back to 5. (same route in the evening, just reversed, anytime after 5 @301/5 merge)

:rolleyes: She said she's in Waldorf. Plus, she's not from around here. She probably would have to look at a map to see that 231 is in Hughesville and NOWHERE NEAR where she needs to go :rolleyes:

Bertha if you are trying to avoid the Waldorf Rt 5 traffic, the only way I know to do that from where you are, is to go over to Indian Head Hwy, but THAT also sounds out of the way for where you need to be.

If traffic is COMPLETELY stopped in Waldorf, I know some seriously complicated directions you could take and pick up 5 at Cedarville or above the 5/301 split or other points north of there, but it might take me as long to give the directions as to sit in traffic and wait.

SxyPrincess

Bertha,

Typically I leave Waldorf a little before 8 a.m. after dropping my daughter off at school. I travel all the way up Branch Avenue until I get to Southern Avenue, where I make a right. I take several backroads and end up in NE, DC.

It usually takes me about an hour, give or take a few. Traffic from Pinefield/Cedarville Road to Brandywine Road is usually the worst part of my commute in the mornings. Other than than, it's pretty good.

In the evenings I travel 295/210 home. I hit some traffic, but that's expected at 5 in the evening. Guess you can't win either way...unless of course you've got your own chopper. :ohwell:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
If traffic is COMPLETELY stopped in Waldorf, I know some seriously complicated directions you could take and pick up 5 at Cedarville or above the 5/301 split or other points north of there, but it might take me as long to give the directions as to sit in traffic and wait.

Almost all of the little roads between Cedarville and Rossaryville lead from 5/301 to Woodyard/4 that could help a little but like CMC said, they are backroads and the directions are complicated.

http

I agree with cmcdanal (even though that bunny disturbs the hell out of me everyday), there is only one way in (if you are points south of 228) and that's your 228 - 210 - 295. It seems jammed when you hit the Beltway mixing bowl before you get on 295 but that is basically a temporary 5 minute or so slow down due to the 4 lanes merging to 2 for the overpass, and still by far the fastest way into town.

If 210 is ever jammed while you are on the road, there are quite a few bailouts that you'll just have to learn. One for instance is to get to Livingston Rd. which gets you to S. Capitol St. You can do that by a right on Palmer Rd. or a little dogleg onto St. Barnabas Rd.

Rt. 5 is just way too out of the way and the lights are MAJOR buzz killers especially in the afternoon when you are trying to get to a drink. Only take it when you hear that there is traffic on 210 BEFORE you leave the house.

The only other thing I can suggest is not to get off onto the Douglass Bridge (unless you work at the Capitol). Continue past the Douglass Bridge exit and stay in the right lanes. That turns into 395 and takes you right back to the major exits you need like 3rd, 7th, 12th, 14th, Maine ect.

If 395 ever looks backed-up, there is even a better convoluted route that I can tell you. PM me if you want and I will spell it out.

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
At the walmart in Waldorf, you can take Acton Lane which turns into Gardner. Then make a right at Accokeek. It'll bring you out at the light on Rt. 5 at Brandywine/Accokeek and cut out all back-up before there that stretches back to basically Walmart! :lol:

If you take Suitland parkway, lock your doors and make a right on Naylor Road. Take that to Good Hope Road and make a left on G.H. Take that down to the 11th Street Bridge which dumps you onto 395.

Happy Trails! :cheers:

http

Um, Mr. Snyder don't you have something a little more important to be doing than hitting on message board chicks? You have yet to play a real team yet this year, and your 1st and 2nd come next week, Philly and Tampa. I think you need to be taking that chopper and yourself to FedEx and do some homework. I will be hunting you down at the end of the season if we have another dismal year, and you can bet your billionaire a$$ on that.

MrSnyder

Originally posted by http
Um, Mr. Snyder don't you have something a little more important to be doing than hitting on message board chicks? You have yet to play a real team yet this year, and your 1st and 2nd come next week, Philly and Tampa. I think you need to be taking that chopper and yourself to FedEx and do some homework. I will be hunting you down at the end of the season if we have another dismal year, and you can bet your billionaire a$$ on that.

:confused: :confused: One of the little people daring to speak to me???

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by cmcdanal
:lol: Thanks, Mrs. M. I'd actually like to have those directions... I am willing to drive twisty-turny roads, mountain roads, two-lane peagravel roads... anything not to have to be stuck between azzholes who tailgait, azzholes who cut off, azzholes who flash their brights & run up your tailpipe because you refuse to tailgait the guy in front of you... Help! :shocking:

Bertha Venation

Thanks to all who posted ideas. :notworthy I'm going to bump this thread from time to time to see if I can get additional responses.

Last edited: