Quilt Advice

I have a very nice handmade bed quilt that I just took out of the closet for the season. Unfortunately, the backing has browned somewhat, not white anymore. Being handmade, I'm hesitant to run it thru the washer, and even if I did, I'm not sure a non-chlorine bleach will get it white again without harming the face patterns. Also don't want to chance pulling the stitching apart.

Any ideas on how to clean and brighten it without damaging it? King size.

sm8

I have a very nice handmade bed quilt that I just took out of the closet for the season. Unfortunately, the backing has browned somewhat, not white anymore. Being handmade, I'm hesitant to run it thru the washer, and even if I did, I'm not sure a non-chlorine bleach will get it white again without harming the face patterns. Also don't want to chance pulling the stitching apart.

Any ideas on how to clean and brighten it without damaging it? King size.

We wash ours in the washer but then again I never worried about pulling the stitches because they are made by us (mostly my mother in law) so it is not a big deal to fix them. I do have to say though, I have not had to fix any yet. I just run it on the normal cycle and usually have a few sheets in with them. Maybe try a gentle cycle though if your worried. That or have them Dry cleaned.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I've washed my great grandma's handmade quilt in my machine on "Hand wash cycle." I added baking soda to my regular laundry. My quilt is at least 80 years old.

Ok, so that made me think I can do this without screwing it up.

The baking soda made me think of OcyClean. That should brighten the backing without damage, right?

Roman

Ok, so that made me think I can do this without screwing it up.

The baking soda made me think of OcyClean. That should brighten the backing without damage, right?

I think so. I have used diluted Bleach on my quilts in the past, but mine are not handmade.

BOP

And I thought I was just asking to have my man-card turned in for talking quilts....

:twitch:

:lol: Never cleaned lace, wouldn't know how.

Step 1: call Mom.

if that's not an option, call the nearest middle-aged woman who's still talking to you.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Step 1: call Mom.

if that's not an option, call the nearest middle-aged woman who's still talking to you.

:ohwell: That's why I posted here.....

OOOHHH, good thing I didn't see this earlier, because I would have given you all my tips on how to safely clean a hand stitched quilt.

Not now, Buster, not now. :duel:

Yet I do post to get motorcycle advice from the middle-aged men on here......

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Is it an antique quilt or just hand-made? If it is an antique quilt, it is usually recommended to handwash in a bathtub using a mild cleanser so you don't put undue stress on the fabric fibers. (No hanging to dry, etc.)

If it is hand-made and newer, you are probably okay just throwing it into the wash. I have heard that oxy-clean is great for taking out stains on linens although I have not tried it myself. Several folks on ebay who deal in vintage linens swear by it.

Here are some resources for quilt care...

Antique quilt care: GLQC Quilt Care

General quilt care: Quilt Care

(Oh, and I'm still talking to you -- virtually anyway! :lol: Which reminds me -- stollen hunting tomorrow. I'll get a chance to check Calvert AND St. Mary's in my travels...)

Thanx all, and thank Mrs. BOP since you had to bother her.... Heh...

It's handmade, about 15-20 years old. It's clean, but the backing was made with some kind of muslin (no Mikey, not Muslims...) and it's just getting very dingy. Just wanted to try and brighten it up.

I'll look into the option you guys posted here.

Much appreciated.:buddies:

I looked for stolen in NY and again here today.... none yet!

knittin

somdexpressions
I have heard of people using something called "smashing white" but not sure if you can still buy it. You can put your washer of "soak" mode and let it soak for 30-60 minutes while you check on the browning to see if it is whitening. then just run the washer through the rinse cycle. I like the suggestion of checking with the quilt guild first.