Quran 2:220. About this world and the next. And they ask you about orphans. Say, “Improvement for them is best. And if you intermix with them, then they are your brethren.” God knows the dishonest from the honest. Had God willed, He could have overburdened you. God is Mighty and Wise.
221. Do not marry idolatresses, unless they have believed. A believing maid is better than an idolatress, even if you like her. And do not marry idolaters, unless they have believed. A believing servant is better than an idolater, even if you like him. These call to the Fire, but God calls to the Garden and to forgiveness, by His leave. He makes clear His communications to the people, that they may be mindful.
222. And they ask you about menstruation: say, “It is harmful, so keep away from women during menstruation. And do not approach them until they have become pure. Once they have become pure, approach them in the way God has directed you.” God loves the repentant, and He loves those who keep clean.”
223. Your women are cultivation for you; so approach your cultivation whenever you like, and send ahead for yourselves. And fear God, and know that you will meet Him. And give good news to the believers.
224. And do not allow your oaths in God's name to hinder you from virtue, and righteousness, and making peace between people. God is Listener and Knower.
225. God does not hold you responsible for your unintentional oaths, but He holds you responsible for your intentions. God is Forgiving and Forbearing.
226. Those who vow abstinence from their wives must wait for four months. But if they reconcile—God is Forgiving and Merciful.
227. And if they resolve to divorce—God is Hearing and Knowing.
228. Divorced women shall wait by themselves for three periods. And it is not lawful for them to conceal what God has created in their wombs, if they believe in God and the Last Day. Meanwhile, their husbands have the better right to take them back, if they desire reconciliation. And women have rights similar to their obligations, according to what is fair. But men have a degree over them. God is Mighty and Wise.
229. Divorce is allowed twice. Then, either honorable retention, or setting free kindly. It is not lawful for you to take back anything you have given them, unless they fear that they cannot maintain God's limits. If you fear that they cannot maintain God’s limits, then there is no blame on them if she sacrifices something for her release. These are God’s limits, so do not transgress them. Those who transgress God’s limits are the unjust.
230. If he divorces her, she shall not be lawful for him again until she has married another husband. If the latter divorces her, then there is no blame on them for reuniting, provided they think they can maintain God's limits. These are God’s limits; He makes them clear to people who know.
231. When you divorce women, and they have reached their term, either retain them amicably, or release them amicably. But do not retain them to hurt them and commit aggression. Whoever does that has wronged himself. And do not take God’s revelations for a joke. And remember God's favor to you, and that He revealed to you the Scripture and Wisdom to teach you. And fear God, and know that God is aware of everything.
232. When you divorce women, and they have reached their term, do not prevent them from marrying their husbands, provided they agree on fair terms. Thereby is advised whoever among you believes in God and the Last Day. That is better and more decent for you. God knows, and you do not know.
Oh boy..... These are four heavy topics.
Of course it's better to be adopting children. Everyone is happier and healthier in a family.
Of course it's better to have God fearing people around us. Those who worship idols....are wasting their time.....because a piece of wood or metal or rock is useless on its own. It requires someone to set it up if it fall over.... but God doesn't fall over in the first place. God doesn't need anyone to set Him back up.... He's the one who created gravity in the first place... right?
So both the Bible and the Quran stay to avoid sex during menstruation. Both call it unclean. This is the one time of the monthly cycle when women cannot get pregnant. Having sex with a menstruating woman would not produce a child so they would be wasting their time.
I'm going to skip verse 223 for a minute and go on to divorce..... Divorce was allowed. A woman had to wait through three menstrual cycles before she could be with someone else. They didn't want one man raising another man's baby. People could only be divorced twice.... I guess the "fool me once" idea gets in the way here. The divorce had to be amicable and fair.
Check out verse 228.... What in the world does it mean by " men have a degree over them"?
This is from the commentary.
The rights of women against their husbands are here stated to be similar to those which the husbands have against their wives. The statement must, no doubt, have caused a stir in a society which never recognized any rights for the woman. The change in this respect was really a revolutionizing one, for the Arabs hitherto regarded women as mere chattels. Women were now given a position equal in all respects to that of men, for they were declared to have rights similar to those which were exercised against them. This declaration brought about a revolution not only in Arabia but in the whole world, for the equality of the rights of women with those of men was never previously recognized by any nation or any reformer. The woman could no longer be discarded at the will of her “lord”, but she could either claim equality as a wife or demand a divorce.
The statement that “men are a degree above them” does not nullify the rights asserted in the previous passage. The words are added simply to show that superior authority to run the house must be given to either the husband or the wife, and it is given to the husband for reasons stated in 4:34.
Just so you know... the meaning of the word "chattels" is "property". For those who have a curiosity.... this is what Quran 4:34 says.
Quran 4:34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, as God has given some of them an advantage over others, and because they spend out of their wealth. The good women are obedient, guarding what God would have them guard. As for those from whom you fear disloyalty, admonish them, and abandon them in their beds, then strike them. But if they obey you, seek no way against them. God is Sublime, Great.
When I got to verse 223.... I stopped.... what does "your women are cultivation for you" mean?
This is from the commentary.
Annå means either matå, i.e., when, or kaifa, i.e., how (AH). As the previous verse prohibits certain relations when the woman has her courses on, this one states that keeping that prohibition in view, a man may go in to his wife when he likes and as he likes.
The Qur’ån contains directions for the physical as well as the moral and spiritual welfare of man, and it deals with the most delicate questions in language unapproached in its purity in any other law dealing with similar questions. Many of the phrases dealing with the delicate relations of the sexes were introduced by the Holy Qur’ån itself, and its literature is therefore one which brings no shudder to the fair reader, unlike many of the descriptions contained in the Bible. The comparison of the woman to the tilth is simply to show that it is she who brings up the children and through whom is made the character of the man, and to show that the real object of conjugal relations is not simply the satisfaction of carnal desires.
Just so you know... "tilth" means suitable for sewing seeds.
Happy Mother's Day
Well... I guess this is their version of the #metoo movement in history!