Quran 6: 141-150 On eating and idols

seekeroftruth

Quran 6:141. It is He who produces gardens, both cultivated and wild, and date-palms, and crops of diverse tastes, and olives and pomegranates, similar and dissimilar. Eat of its fruit when it yields, and give its due on the day of its harvest, and do not waste. He does not love the wasteful.
142. Among the livestock are some for transportation, and some for clothing. Eat of what God has provided for you, and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. He is to you an outright enemy.
143. Eight pairs: two of the sheep, and two of the goats. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Inform me with knowledge, if you are truthful.”
144. And two of the camels, and two of the cattle. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Were you present when God enjoined this upon you?” Who does greater wrong than he who invents lies and attributes them to God, in order to mislead people without knowledge? God does not guide the wicked people.
145. Say, “In what was revealed to me, I find nothing forbidden to a consumer who eats it, except carrion, or spilled blood, or the flesh of swine—because it is impure—or a sinful offering dedicated to other than God. But if someone is compelled by necessity, without being deliberate or malicious—your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful.
146. For the Jews We forbade everything with claws. As of cattle and sheep: We forbade them their fat, except what adheres to their backs, or the entrails, or what is mixed with bone. This is how We penalized them for their inequity. We are indeed truthful.
147. If they accuse you of lying, say, “Your Lord is Possessor of infinite mercy, but His wrath cannot be averted from the guilty people.
148. The polytheists will say, “Had God willed, we would not have practiced idolatry, nor would have our forefathers, nor would we have prohibited anything.” Likewise those before them lied, until they tasted Our might. Say, “Do you have any knowledge that you can produce for us? You follow nothing but conjecture, and you only guess.”
149. Say, “To God belongs the conclusive argument. Had He willed, He would have guided you all.”
150. Say, “Produce your witnesses who would testify that God has prohibited this.” If they testify, do not testify with them. And do not follow the whims of those who deny Our revelation, and those who do not believe in the Hereafter, and those who equate others with their Lord.

One day it works the next it won't. Today it's working. Guess we'll get a mixture.

This is from the commentary this morning.

You shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat” (Lev.7:23).​
Leviticus 7:23“Say to the Israelites: ‘Do not eat any of the fat of cattle, sheep or goats.
The all-encompassing mercy of Allåh is mentioned even in speaking of those who rejected the Holy Prophet. It was because of the mercy of Allåh that the disbelievers were not destroyed immediately; but as punishing the “guilty” is in itself a mercy towards the weak and the oppressed, they are warned that they will not escape punishment if they persist in their evil ways.
The previous verse records the statement of the disbelievers: “If Allåh pleased we would not have set up aught with Him”. The reply is that Allåh reveals His will through His chosen messengers, so bring forth any Divine revelation that you possess sanctioning idolatry. The argument is here carried on further. Allåh does not mislead men, but, on the other hand, sends His prophets to guide them into the right path. His pleasure is therefore that all men should walk in the right path and serve only one Master. Is not that a conclusive argument against the false assertion of the idolaters? The guidance of Allåh is, moreover, brought through prophets, and men are never compelled to accept the right way; much less could they be compelled to follow the wrong course, as the idolaters thought. Man was created with a will free within certain limits to act as he pleases.
I don't know why the commentary works one day and won't work another.... guess I'll have to post the Quran when the commentary allows and the Bible when the commentary doesn't want to work.

Apparently today we are talking about rules, laws, and how they make sense.

If you need a camel to get you around in the desert for the next forty years, it would be wise not to eat it. Camels have claw feet... a split in their hoof. Conveniently, that leaves the deer protected too. They have the same kind of split hoof or claw. Now.... in verse 145.... it says if you are in dire straights, of course you can eat your camel, or shoot and consume a deer, but not just because it's what you want to do for dinner tonight. Camels are good for transportation and clothing.... don't eat them as long as they will let you ride them to your next appointment. That would be like shooting your car because you want to use the hubcaps on another car.

Now the rules against idol worship are more about being smart. Just because my grandfather slaughtered a pig and my grandmother fried up the fat as a tasty treat, doesn't mean it's ok to eat that. My grandfather died of heart disease brought on by eating stuff like crispy fried fatback. Look we all know we should eat better. We all know a constant diet of McDonald's fries will just turn you into a fry. We've all found a McDonald's fry in the back seat after months of laying there... and it's still perfectly good to eat. First they feed us fat that won't ever go away.... and then they feed us diet food because we are all too fat.... and why is that? Money? Shiny coins..... more shiny coins.... little round idols.

God doesn't make up rules to make life rough on us. He makes them to help us out. If He didn't tell us that Camels were not on the menu, we would have been walking everywhere.

If we chase after gold, we'll get the fever, and we won't be fit to be around other humans. Yesterday I watched westerns.... and gold fever was the topic of the movie I was watching. One man killed all of his friends and his brother over one bag of gold..... because the gold fever got him. It's a real thing.... apparently.... a lawless thing.... apparently. There are stories all over Arizona about how gold and silver led people to do horribly crazy things. It's just today's version of idol worship.

So... today it's about eating and idols.

☕