Quran 6:71-82 Abraham's weakness

seekeroftruth

Quran 6: 71. Say, “Shall we invoke besides God something that can neither benefit us nor harm us, and turn back on our heels after God has guided us; like someone seduced by the devils and confused on earth, who has friends calling him to guidance: 'Come to us'?” Say, “The guidance of God is the guidance, and we are commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Universe.”
72. “And to perform the prayers, and to revere Him; it is to Him that you will be gathered.
73. It is He who created the heavens and the earth in truth. On the Day when He says: “Be,” it will be. His saying is the truth, and His is the sovereignty on the Day when the trumpet is blown. The Knower of secrets and declarations. He is the Wise, the Expert.
74. Abraham said to his father Azar, “Do you take idols for gods? I see that you and your people are in evident error.”
75. Thus We showed Abraham the empire of the heavens and the earth, that he might be one of those with certainty.
76. When the night fell over him, he saw a planet. He said, “This is my lord.” But when it set, he said, “I do not love those that set.”
77. Then, when he saw the moon rising, he said, “This is my lord.” But when it set, he said, “If my Lord does not guide me, I will be one of the erring people.”
78. Then, when he saw the sun rising, he said, “This is my lord, this is bigger.” But when it set, he said, “O my people, I am innocent of your idolatry.
79. I have directed my attention towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth—a monotheist—and I am not of the idolaters.”
80. And his people argued with him. He said, “Do you argue with me about God, when He has guided me? I do not fear what you associate with Him, unless my Lord wills it. My Lord comprehends all things in knowledge. Will you not reconsider?
81. And why should I fear those you associate with Him, and you do not fear associating others with God for which He sent down to you no authority? Which side is more entitled to security, if you are aware?”
82. Those who believe, and do not obscure their faith with wrongdoing—those will have security, and they are guided.

This is from the commentary.

It should be borne in mind that Abraham never worshipped idols or the heavenly bodies like his people. He has already been spoken of in v. 74 as denouncing the idol-worship of his people, and in v. 75 as possessing certainty of faith in One God. Reading further on, we find it clearly stated in v. 83 that what is related here was an argument by which Abraham tried to convince his people that they worshipped false deities: “And this was Our argument which We gave to Abraham against his people”. Abraham’s own certainty and strong conviction in God is placed beyond all doubt by vv. 74, 75; and in the verses that follow he is shown as giving arguments to convince his people that they were wrong in worshipping the heavenly bodies, which were themselves subject to Divine laws.
The Muslims were from the family of Ishmael. They weren't Jewish although they were from Adam and Abraham. They weren't Christian... they were turned off by the trinity taught in the Christian Church at the time.

The descendants of Ishmael were the "bastard sons" of the day. They were the children of the one that was thrown away.

So Abraham was a monotheist but Ishmael was the result of rape.

Ishmael's mother was a servant to Abraham's wife. Ishmael's mother, Hagar, was given to Abraham because Sarah, Abraham's wife couldn't get pregnant and Abraham had to have a son.

Abraham didn't have a problem laying with a woman who wasn't his wife..... but he wouldn't give idols or planets or the sun a second glance.

The Bible gives Hagar a bad name for flaunting her pregnancy in Sarah's face. Now, in the days of #metoo, women are looking at Hagar in a different light. She didn't love Abraham.... she was just a tool, like a prize pig or cow. Abraham needed a son and Hagar was the vessel. No wonder she gave Sarah a rough time.

Abraham's idol was Sarah. Sarah made him do wrong. Running Hagar and Ishmael off was dead wrong. Sarah knew it but she wanted it that way and Abraham loved Sarah.

It's true Abraham didn't worship the sun or the moon..... but apparently..... Abraham didn't want Sarah to be sad or angry.

It's true Abraham didn't carve little idols and set them everywhere..... but He loved Sarah so much he threw Hagar and Ishmael out.

It was Sarah.... not the moon or the stars..... not a carved image..... It was Sarah that took Abraham's eyes off God.

Sarah.... Abraham's weakness!

☕