R or D mindset...

Is it good to make bad drivers pay heavy for roads?

• I'm well to the right and think it's a good idea

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I'm well to the right and think it's a bad idea

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I'm a moderate to right and think it's a good idea

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I'm a moderate to right and think it's a bad idea

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I'm a moderate to left and think it's a good idea

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I'm a moderate to left and think it's a bad idea

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I'm well to the left and think it's a good idea

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I'm well to the left and think it's a bad idea

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...it is always fascinating to explore how people think on public policy.

Here's a pretty straight up issue;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062801967.html

THE PROSPECT of paying an additional $1,050 for driving 20 mph over the speed limit is riling many Virginians this week, as a new law that slaps heavy fees on the commonwealth's bad drivers is about to come into force. Some of the worry is overblown, but the critics also raise some legitimate concerns.

Virginia state Republicans didn't want to raise taxes to fix roads. Instead, they're gonna fine the hell out of bad drivers.

The Post thinks it would have been better to raise taxes on gas some more.

Read the article then weigh in. I'm just interested, as always, in how we all think.

Vince

Larry Gude said:
The Post thinks it would have been better to raise taxes on gas some more.

Read the article then weigh in. I'm just interested, as always, in how we all think.
They would! Bunch of liberal azzholes. Bet if they raised speeding fines up to $1000 a shot their accident rate and ticket rate would go way down. But then they wouldn't get the income to fix the roads. :lol:

Mikeinsmd

forestal said:
We all use the roads, we should all pay for them.
Well looky here..... I agree with forestool on something. This includes the arrogant "think they own the road" bicyclists I'd like to run over. One of these days I'm gonna pop one. :evil:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I noticed something about Virginia...

I traveled across 5 states last week and VA was the only state that had banned the use of radar detectors.
The speed limits are lower and there are alot more places for highway patrol to set up speedtraps along the major roadways.
I saw ALOT more cops in VA than I did in any of the other states.:shrug:

It seems to me that they have gone further to curb speeding than KY, TN, OK, MD, and Arkansas(the abreviation escapes me).

What are they doing wrong? Or is this just another way of pinching money from drivers?Alot of the people who travel routes 66, 81 and 95 are not even stopping or living in the state.

Virginia stinks.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
It is not a bad idea, but they went over board with it. $3050 for 15-20mph over is way too much.

Cop- Here you go sir, instead of paying your mortgage or feeding your kids this month, you get to pay for this road.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I'm Right - Libertarian and think Forestal should pay for it ALL.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Kyle said:
I'm Right - Libertarian and think Forestal should pay for it ALL.

Come on Kyle! Forestal is the guy who hands you chicken samples on toothpicks at the mall food court. How is he going to pay for all that? It sounds like he probably gets some type of disability check (mental) too but I'm sure that's not much either.

Kerad

forestal said:
We all use the roads, we should all pay for them.

:yeahthat:

My guess is that roughly 85-90% of the vehicles driving on 95 in Virginia are busting the speed limit. Why should the few unlucky ones who actually get pulled have to pay more for the roads than the others? This is just another money grab from Virginia.

If they want a higher percentage of the proceeds from all driving tickets to go towards the roads, that's fair. But fining someone an extra $1000 because they just happened to be the guy that got pulled over is BS.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
:howdy:
vraiblonde said:
I don't speed - at least not over 5 or 10mph. So I said sock it to 'em. :yay:

Oh, so you're the one who backs up all the traffic. Haven't you ever noticed the 75 cars behind you flashing their lights and riding your bumper. :lmao:
Let me guess. You drive a Buick, right?
:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dork said:
Haven't you ever noticed the 75 cars behind you flashing their lights and riding your bumper.
I ignore them. They can road rage when they're not behind me. Following the law doesn't make me a bad person or a PITA, so they can all :biteme:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I ignore them. They can road rage when they're not behind me. Following the law doesn't make me a bad person or a PITA, so they can all :biteme:
Didn't I read somewhere that you were "passed and flipped-off" by an Amish Buggy?

Kerad

vraiblonde said:
I don't speed - at least not over 5 or 10mph. So I said sock it to 'em. :yay:

Hmmm...

If you speed over 5 or 10 mph...you're still a law-breaker.

Sooo....

Stay to the right, and hope you don't get run over by the speeding cops.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kyle said:
Didn't I read somewhere that you were "passed and flipped-off" by an Amish Buggy?
Oh, that's just a silly story that Christy likes to tell. :rolleyes:

But the answer is, yes. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kerad said:
If you speed over 5 or 10 mph...you're still a law-breaker.
Well, here's the thing:

5 mph over is just a variation. Even 10 could be just because you're watching traffic and not your speedometer. 20, however....NOW you're speeding.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
vraiblonde said:
Well, here's the thing:

5 mph over is just a variation. Even 10 could be just because you're watching traffic and not your speedometer. 20, however....NOW you're speeding.

I think you are among the average driver. Most of us do drive a little over the speed limit and it seems to be perfectly acceptable. The drivers who drive the speed limit or just a little below the limit are annoying as he**. On the other hand, if I am already doing 7 mph over the limit and someone is riding my bumper, that's annoying too.

On my way to Baltimore today, I was traveling about 10mph above the limit. An idiot in a Dodge Durango rode my bumper for the longest time. I slowed down to pizz him off. He eventually passed me, flipped me the finger and sped off.

Then again, I travel up Rt2 from Calvert through Anne Arundel just about every day. I hate to get behind the idiot who refuses to pull over and let the rest of the cars go by.

I guess my approach is to do what most others do. Drive just a little above the limit. Go with the flow. It's always the one car going too slow or the one car going too fast that screws up the traffic flow and causes problems. I also think they should outlaw Buicks. They never go above the speed limit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Does that...

Nucklesack said:
Initially this sounds good, but if you read the article, or read this MSN one, you'll see that the state can't charge fees on out-of-state drivers or revoke their licenses.

The addional fees apply only to residents of Virginia.

...mean that out of staters can just roll on, free of charge? I mean, they do fine you for speeding if you're out of state, right?

What's your point? I'm gonna guess that someone looked at total tickets written and said that there is enough in state hella-violators to raise the intended cash.