Rabbit Stew

dn0121

Need a recipe for this little sucker. Anyone have a good family recipe. I have a smoker so I can smoke it first.

rabbit030909-01.jpg

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Rabbit Gumbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ½ cups olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 cups water
2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons steak sauce
½ cup chopped celery
Louisiana hot sauce to taste or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped bell peppers
2 cups dry white wine
1 pound andouille or smoked sausage
One 2-pound rabbit, cut into serving pieces

In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium fire, then add the flour and make a very dark roux. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are clear. Add the parsley, garlic, water, steak sauce, hot sauce and wine, then drop in the rabbit meat and sausage. Stir to combine, then let it cook, covered, for 2 or more hours.

wch

Never made rabbit stew, Rabbits and squirrel were always boiled till the meat fell off the bone (bone discarded) and then mixed with brown or onion gravy and served over egg noodles. Lazy I guess but it made a relatively easy meal and a good casserole with mixed vegetables to feed the kids.

rockfish

Rabbit Gumbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ½ cups olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 cups water
2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons steak sauce
½ cup chopped celery
Louisiana hot sauce to taste or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped bell peppers
2 cups dry white wine
1 pound andouille or smoked sausage
One 2-pound rabbit, cut into serving pieces

In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium fire, then add the flour and make a very dark roux. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are clear. Add the parsley, garlic, water, steak sauce, hot sauce and wine, then drop in the rabbit meat and sausage. Stir to combine, then let it cook, covered, for 2 or more hours.

:drool:

Vince

Put in skillet with some garlic and olive oil. Quick sear and then add red wine and simmer until tender. :yum: Ooops, forgot the crushed red pepper.

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I've never made this recipe.

It came from a cookbook that belonged to my dad. I think it's called "Critter Delight" or something like that.

It has all kinds of recipes for muskrat, possum, wild turkey, snapping turtle....all kinds of weird stuff. I've never made anything from it, but the cookbook is too cool to get rid of.